Sign in to follow this  
BRaptor

Hey Maks, is this a good investment?

So, the last remaining privately-held copy of the Star Spangled Banner is up for sale through Christie's.

See Article Here.

"They" predict it could go for $200-300k. At that price, I'd be willing to put down $1k to buy a 1/200th or 1/300th share. Anyone want in? (kidding)

I think the $200-300k figure is severely lowballing the true value of this piece of Americana. However, the recession may be depressing the anticipated, and maybe the actual price paid.

If only I had a few hundred thousand lying around.

I personally dont do toooo much art. =) But I would not be surprised to see it go alot higher. As an investment, unless you can secure it, and can appreciate it, it is a highly illiquid investment. If you want to sell it, take a 15% haircut for auction house fees.

Buy it to appreciate it, not to invest in it.

If you want to sell it, take a 15% haircut for auction house fees.

D'oh! Forgot about that. Any significant profit would likely require a very long turnover, then, and likely a gamble on one of the other copies being destroyed or the market picking up.

Of course, I would buy it just for the privilege of saying I once owned it...if it were within the realm of possibility, that is.