YankeeFan

NJ Legal CZ75 SP-01 ?

The CZ-USA web site says it's 19-round magazine, but they also sell 15-round mags for it. I've emailed a few dealers and their initial response was "can't sell in NJ, 19 round mag..why don't you look at <x> instead?" :angry:

Can't they just sell me the gun WITHOUT the 19rd mag and I'll get the 15rd mags for it?? Still trying to wrap my head around these ridiculous NJ laws...this was way easier in FL.

Oh they definitely sell it in NJ. You can buy the NY legal version in NJ - it has 10 round mags. Ryan626 has one.

Yes, for sure... This is one of the pistols that I was looking at buying... You can get it with 10 roung mags, just like Nick has indicated.

• Like 1

The CZ-USA web site says it's 19-round magazine, but they also sell 15-round mags for it. I've emailed a few dealers and their initial response was "can't sell in NJ, 19 round mag..why don't you look at <x> instead?" :angry:

Can't they just sell me the gun WITHOUT the 19rd mag and I'll get the 15rd mags for it?? Still trying to wrap my head around these ridiculous NJ laws...this was way easier in FL.

Actually, consider this an education on which dealers you want to do business with. If they try steering you away from what you want (without a good explanation anyway), forget about them.

• Like 2

Actually, consider this an education on which dealers you want to do business with. If they try steering you away from what you want (without a good explanation anyway), forget about them.

could not agree more.. especially if you have already done your research and are set on something..

Yes, for sure... This is one of the pistols that I was looking at buying... You can get it with 10 roung mags, just like Nick has indicated.

...which is probably what I'll do. I'm assuming the 10rd mags are the same size as 19 rounders, just pinned for 10 rds?

...which is probably what I'll do. I'm assuming the 10rd mags are the same size as 19 rounders, just pinned for 10 rds?

Yup. They're blocked, basically - there's a piece of plastic or something on the inside of the mag.

Another thing - Ryan said his 10 round mags that came with the gun do not drop out automatically - he has to pull them out. He has since purchased some additional mags that do drop.

Yup. They're blocked, basically - there's a piece of plastic or something on the inside of the mag.

Another thing - Ryan said his 10 round mags that came with the gun do not drop out automatically - he has to pull them out. He has since purchased some additional mags that do drop.

From what I understand, CZ designs them this way (no matter the capacity of the mag)... Not sure what their reason for this is though. I believe this is true with some of their other pistols as well.

From what I understand, CZ designs them this way (no matter the capacity of the mag)... Not sure what their reason for this is though. I believe this is true with some of their other pistols as well.

That is correct. My CZ75B Compact mags did not drop free. They came 1/3 to 1/2 out and needed to be manually pulled.

i have this gun and the difference in the 10rd mag to the higher ones (i have 15rd also) is that the 10rd has a floor plate that goes deep into the mag body to limit the volume to near half capacity. the higher cap mags user a flat floor plate and limit it in some other fashion. Drop free is a matter of tweaking the mag brake spring i believe.

Hi man, as Nick (krdshrk) mentioned, I have an CZ 75 SP01. The gun came with what I believe is a 18 round mag pinned to 15. I bought it this way from Caso's Gun O Rama. They do not drop quite freely. You would need to jerk the gun to drop them but since I ordered 10 rd mags from CZ USA, they do drop freely. I'll double check that for you again tonight. I had a hard time finding 15 rd mags for my CZ. I didn't mind the 10 rd mags since I wanted to shoot USPSA production and they let you load 10 rds only.

I was just at the CZ USA website and it looks like I was sold a CZ 75 SP01 Phantom with the Mec-Gar 15 rd mags. I then bought 10 rd CZ mags. Sorry, don't know much about guns yet.

That Phantom model is the one with the plastic...I mean polymer...frame...right?

Guest HuntingPaper

All the CZ pistols have a magazine brake to avoid to accidentally loose your mag. You can buy for 10 bucks a replacement part to make it a drop free magazine. I own a CZ75B and is the one that I currently shoot the most, very happy with it. You can see me shooting it on my profile picture :)

Yes, there are NJ legal Sp-01's and Phantoms. Some online dealers will sell you them without the mag, some will switch the mag with a 15/10rder if they're nice, and some won't sell you the gun at all either way.

There are a number of local shops that can get either model for you, and will order them if need be. I haven't seen that many shops that carry CZ's though, unfortunately. Usually they carry a select few, if at all.

If I were you, go with the SP-01 and the steel frame. NOTHING compares to the feel and strength of a steel frame. Yes, polymer is great and light and all, but if this is a non-carry handgun your looking for, definitely get the 01. The Phantom is considered to be 33% lighter, but handle both if you get a chance and you will know exactly what I am talking about.

Yes, there are NJ legal Sp-01's and Phantoms. Some online dealers will sell you them without the mag, some will switch the mag with a 15/10rder if they're nice, and some won't sell you the gun at all either way.

There are a number of local shops that can get either model for you, and will order them if need be. I haven't seen that many shops that carry CZ's though, unfortunately. Usually they carry a select few, if at all.

If I were you, go with the SP-01 and the steel frame. NOTHING compares to the feel and strength of a steel frame. Yes, polymer is great and light and all, but if this is a non-carry handgun your looking for, definitely get the 01. The Phantom is considered to be 33% lighter, but handle both if you get a chance and you will know exactly what I am talking about.

Yeah, I am definitely considering the SP-01 steel frame. I've never liked the feel of plastic guns. I'm spending the holidays with my brother and his family in SC and will be visiting a range that carries and rents the CZs (http://www.allenarms.net)...hell you can even rent a full-auto there. Looking forward to that. :icon_mrgreen:

I've been thinking about the SP-01 also. I like the DA/SA trigger. I like the idea of keeping a round chambered with the DA for safety and like the light SA trigger at the range. Like the heavier metal guns for less recoil and more fun shooting. The 90-Two was big for my hand.

Went to Cheyenne today to look at a CZ cause Ready Aim Fire doesn't have any CZ's to rent. Cheyenne doesn't stock any CZ's. Makes me feel wonder why the CZ gets no love from the local shops.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people don't know what their missing, or that the CZ company even exists. Most people are too busy looking at Glock's and XD's and Sig's to look at anything else :icon_rolleyes:

Surprising though, as they make very VERY well-made firearms.