IANAL, but that said:

A NJ FID is required if you want to drive-around all day doing errands with an unloaded long gun in the trunk. Gas, pharmacy, milk store, bank, dry cleaners, post office, etc., etc.

If you go DIRECTLY to and from an EXEMPTED LOCATION (Firing Range, New Home, Gunsmith, Point of sale) you don't need a NJ FID. You have to understand that all guns are illegal in NJ, and only exist through EXEMPTIONS AND EXCEPTIONS to the written Law, which was designed by Lawyers (so you have to almost hire one to figure it all out). So you need to also look at the EXCEPTIONS AND EXEMPTIONS part of the Law in order to determine what you can actually do! YES, it's bass-ackwards, but this is the Republic of NJ after-all......

Dave

Gun Owner for 36 years

IANAL, but that said:

A NJ FID is required if you want to drive-around all day doing errands with an unloaded long gun in the trunk. Gas, pharmacy, milk store, bank, dry cleaners, post office, etc., etc.

If you go DIRECTLY to and from an EXEMPTED LOCATION (Firing Range, New Home, Gunsmith, Point of sale) you don't need a NJ FID. You have to understand that all guns are illegal in NJ, and only exist through EXEMPTIONS AND EXCEPTIONS to the written Law, which was designed by Lawyers (so you have to almost hire one to figure it all out). So you need to also look at the EXCEPTIONS AND EXEMPTIONS part of the Law in order to determine what you can actually do! YES, it's bass-ackwards, but this is the Republic of NJ after-all......

Dave

Gun Owner for 36 years

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Lived here in NJ for 6 years now...and I still can't get over the laws. I'm used to walking out the door with a loaded gun and shooting it off the back porch, lol.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Lived here in NJ for 6 years now...and I still can't get over the laws. I'm used to walking out the door with a loaded gun and shooting it off the back porch, lol.

If you plan on staying, and you're not a "Prohibited Person" (Wife Beater, Child Molester, Felon) then you might as well just go for the Permit (NJ FID). This way you can try to be a "normal" American (going on errands on the way to and from the range with long guns). Just remember not to shoot off of yer porch unless you're out in the middle of the woods with NO displaced NY's as neighbors, lol!

OK, i want to clarify something.. we have a .38spl.. it is my wife's gun (she got her FPID years and years ago, well before i met her, and also bought this gun before we met).. i do NOT have my FPID yet (ipaperwork in process as we speak) We recently went to the range and we brought said .38 with us. she has her FPID with her at all times.. it was unloaded, in the back of the SUV, etc, etc. Only drove back and forth to the range with it.. I am assuming that was perfectly legal

now, another situation arose.. I wanted to go to the range by myself (she didnt feel like going). I was thinking about bringing the .38spl with me to the range (same setup as before), but decided it was probably not the best idea because i do NOT yet have my FPID, and without her in the car, i figured that would be illegal.

are my assumptions both correct? seems like they are, but wanted to make sure.. (and also, when i get my FPID, i assume I can bring the .38 with me by myself to go to the range even though its registered under her name?)

If you plan on staying, and you're not a "Prohibited Person" (Wife Beater, Child Molester, Felon) then you might as well just go for the Permit (NJ FID). This way you can try to be a "normal" American (going on errands on the way to and from the range with long guns). Just remember not to shoot off of yer porch unless you're out in the middle of the woods with NO displaced NY's as neighbors, lol!

Lol.

I already have my FID, got it last fall....I was just posting a rhetorical trying to gain a better understanding of the laws.

OK, i want to clarify something.. we have a .38spl.. it is my wife's gun (she got her FPID years and years ago, well before i met her, and also bought this gun before we met).. i do NOT have my FPID yet (ipaperwork in process as we speak) We recently went to the range and we brought said .38 with us. she has her FPID with her at all times.. it was unloaded, in the back of the SUV, etc, etc. Only drove back and forth to the range with it.. I am assuming that was perfectly legal YES

now, another situation arose.. I wanted to go to the range by myself (she didnt feel like going). I was thinking about bringing the .38spl with me to the range (same setup as before), but decided it was probably not the best idea because i do NOT yet have my FPID, and without her in the car, i figured that would be illegal.

are my assumptions both correct? yes seems like they are, but wanted to make sure.. (and also, when i get my FPID, i assume I can bring the .38 with me by myself to go to the range even though its registered under her name?)no

OK, i want to clarify something.. we have a .38spl.. it is my wife's gun (she got her FPID years and years ago, well before i met her, and also bought this gun before we met).. i do NOT have my FPID yet (ipaperwork in process as we speak) We recently went to the range and we brought said .38 with us. she has her FPID with her at all times.. it was unloaded, in the back of the SUV, etc, etc. Only drove back and forth to the range with it.. I am assuming that was perfectly legal

are my assumptions both correct? seems like they are, but wanted to make sure.. (and also, when i get my FPID, i assume I can bring the .38 with me by myself to go to the range even though its registered under her name?)

You WERE good up until that emboldened point above! Even though you're married, in the eyes of the law, taking HER .38 to the range without HER is considered an "illegal transfer" in NJ! It sounds like BS, and nobody here has any proof of anyone getting jacked-up for it, but technically it's a NO-NO!

Now IF she were to die before you, and that same .38 is in your Will, upon HER DEATH you'd be legal to take the exact same gun to the range all by yourself!!! NO--you wouldn't have to prop-up her dead body in the seat next to you!!

Dave

well what a stupid f*ing law.. lol..

but ok, thanks for the heads up.. if i really want to shoot it (which i cant see happening if i get my CZ that im looking at), i will either have to drag her along or break the law to get it there.. (breaking the law is not something i really like to do)

well what a stupid f*ing law.. lol..

but ok, thanks for the heads up.. if i really want to shoot it (which i cant see happening if i get my CZ that im looking at), i will either have to drag her along or break the law to get it there.. (breaking the law is not something i really like to do)

If you have a SUV, you lock the pistol in a case in the back. The reason is because if you are ever stopped, the police do not want you the driver to reach for anything like that, purposely or accidental. It's really in your own best interest not to get accidentally shot.

If you have a SUV, you lock the pistol in a case in the back. The reason is because if you are ever stopped, the police do not want you the driver to reach for anything like that, purposely or accidental. It's really in your own best interest not to get accidentally shot.

??????

He was asking about taking his Wife's .38 to the range WITHOUT HER being in the car. We were past the "where do you put it in the vehicle" stage......It is always in your best interest to NOT get shot, lol!

5.7mm?

A waste at this point, considering the trend in magazine capacity limits.....and some ranges forbid it's use on their backstops (like Old Bridge) so it's an outdoors gun only....

And to answer your question (if you actually asked one), YES!

5.7mm?

A waste at this point, considering the trend in magazine capacity limits.....and some ranges forbid it's use on their backstops (like Old Bridge) so it's an outdoors gun only....

And to answer your question (if you actually asked one), YES!

I wouldn't say it's a waste. I have some standard capacity magazines outside the state. I also have NJ capacity magazines so I can shoot in this state. I like more than the capacity, though. I like that it shoots the same ammo as my rifle. Forutnately I can shoot either at RTSP. With the Levang compensator, my AR-57 the report of the Five Seven round was comparable to that of the GSG 22 (not mine) we were shooting, so the staff allowed us to use one of the pistol lanes. We probably should not have been permitted to shoot my 500 Smith ammo in the pistol lane. It's a little loud.

My question was sincere. :) Good to know. I've lived here only since 2006, so bear with me.

You WERE good up until that emboldened point above! Even though you're married, in the eyes of the law, taking HER .38 to the range without HER is considered an "illegal transfer" in NJ! It sounds like BS, and nobody here has any proof of anyone getting jacked-up for it, but technically it's a NO-NO!

Now IF she were to die before you, and that same .38 is in your Will, upon HER DEATH you'd be legal to take the exact same gun to the range all by yourself!!! NO--you wouldn't have to prop-up her dead body in the seat next to you!!

Dave

I think that that is a gray area and that you would have to have an FID card to take possession, legally, and especially to transport.

Additionally, you would not want to be not legally able to own guns in the state for whatever reason... and if you are OK to own, then there really is little reason for you not to have your own FID card.

I think that that is a gray area and that you would have to have an FID card to take possession, legally, and especially to transport.

Additionally, you would not want to be not legally able to own guns in the state for whatever reason... and if you are OK to own, then there really is little reason for you not to have your own FID card.

The gentleman said that his FPID paperwork was "in progress", so therefore I had assumed that it would be approved (at some point), so he wouldn't have to dig-up her dead body to take her .38 to the range, lol!

You don't need a NJ FID to take possession -the Nazi's haven't passed that new law YET (where they take away your property). NO mandatory registration in NJ! It also means you are restricted in where you can drive the gun to: see section on exact law that Vlad wrote for us! I believe you can drive it to a FFL to sell it as well as keep it in your home for self protection or as part of a collection, etc. My Dad passed back in '82 and left his 3 kids several guns, which Mom split-up among us. It was in the Will. Since all 3 of us have FID's, we can take them to the range to shoot all day long--NO paperwork required.

It is a good idea to get your FID so you can transport to ranges in and out of state as well as buy pistol ammo in NJ. Some new-to NJ residents already have extensive collections and enough ammo to feed them, all bought legally out of state. Some ranges (like Old Bridge) demand to see your NJ FID prior to accepting you as a member. Other commercial ranges rent guns and sell ammo to Gang-Bangers to keep the lights on. Maybe the priorities are a little mixed-up???

Dave

This is a popular interpretation of the law. I don't agree. To me, it's not a transfer to have your spouse's gun. The gun lives in the marital house where both parties have equal access to it. The most conservative/safest thing is not bring a weapon that is not owned in your name but I can't see you getting arrested for it.

This seems very similar to saying that your wife owns a car and drives it all over town as she has a driver's license; therefore it must be legal for you to drive it all over town too even though you don't have a driver's license. I don't think you would be ok doing that, or taking her gun off the property without correct documentation.

This seems very similar to saying that your wife owns a car and drives it all over town as she has a driver's license; therefore it must be legal for you to drive it all over town too even though you don't have a driver's license. I don't think you would be ok doing that, or taking her gun off the property without correct documentation.

GREAT analogy Howard! Like I said before, no one here has personal knowledge of anyone getting "jacked" for it. Some folks worry about such things and some just do what they want. It's entirely up to each married couple to determine their course of action.

Not to throw another monkey wrench in the works, but what if you're just "living together" for months, years, decades and aren't married? Do you have extra gun-totin' rights as a married couple? Do folks that just live together and borrow each other's hand guns commit felonies every time they walk out of the door with their partner's guns and not their partner? What about the rights of gay married couples? There's a lot to think about here........

This is a popular interpretation of the law. I don't agree. To me, it's not a transfer to have your spouse's gun. The gun lives in the marital house where both parties have equal access to it. The most conservative/safest thing is not bring a weapon that is not owned in your name but I can't see you getting arrested for it.

it is not interpretation of the law.. it is the law..

2C:58-3.1. Temporary transfer of firearms

1. a. Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-9, N.J.S.2C:58-2, N.J.S.2C:58- 3 or any other statute to the contrary concerning the transfer or disposition of firearms, the legal owner, or a dealer licensed under N.J.S.2C:58-2, may temporarily transfer a handgun, rifle or shotgun to another person who is 18 years of age or older, whether or not the person receiving the firearm holds a firearms purchaser identification card or a permit to carry a handgun. The person to whom a handgun, rifle or shotgun is temporarily transferred by the legal owner of the firearm or a licensed dealer may receive, possess, carry and use that handgun, rifle or shotgun, if the transfer is made upon a firing range operated by a licensed dealer, by a law enforcement agency, a legally recognized military organization or a rifle or pistol club which has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits to the superintendent a list of its members and if the firearm is received, possessed, carried and used for the sole purpose of target practice, trap or skeet shooting, or competition upon that firing range or instruction and training at any location. A transfer under this subsection shall be for not more than eight consecutive hours in any 24-hour period and may be made for a set fee or an hourly charge. The firearm shall be handled and used by the person to whom it is temporarily transferred only in the actual presence or under the direct supervision of the legal owner of the firearm, the dealer who transferred the firearm or any other person competent to supervise the handling and use of firearms and authorized to act for that purpose by the legal owner or licensed dealer. The legal owner of the firearm or the licensed dealer shall be on the premises or the property of the firing range during the entire time that the firearm is in the possession of the person to whom it is temporarily

transferred. The term "legal owner" as used in this subsection means a natural person and does not include an organization, commercial enterprise, or a licensed manufacturer, wholesaler or dealer of firearms.

n/p... transferring a gun to someone that is not the owner for means of use is relatively clear in the law..

It is until you start talking about use within your own home...but we've had that discussion many times before.

:p