Ed32

Buying my first firearm-NJ 15 rd. mag. capacity.

I live in South Jersey and I'm new to firearms. I'm currently waiting for my FID card. I've been doing a lot of on-line research regarding the pistol I want to get. Unfortunately manufacturers only offer certain models with 10rd. mag. If I decide to get a 9mm. it gets even more difficult since most of them come with magazines over 15rd. For instance; I was interested in the M&P Full size with the thumb safety but it only comes with a 17rd. mag. I understand is not difficult to get a 15rd. mag itself, but I'm talking about getting a new pistol.

I've heard good things about budsgunshop.com, I called them to ask them if they could ship a pistol (that comes with a 17rd. mag in the case) without the magazine or with a smaller magazine, and they told me they can't do that. Although I'm not sure if these on-line shops are aware of the NJ mag. limitation, I assume they would ship it to the FFL and then the FFL in NJ would not accept the shipment.

Anyway, I was wondering how does it work with the FFL or just with a regular local NJ gun shop?

If I go to a local gun shop and I want to buy a gun that the manufacturer only offers with a 17rd. mag, could I get a smaller mag from the gun shop? Do I get any trade in value from the mags I can't keep?

Thank you,

Edward

I live in South Jersey and I'm new to firearms. I'm currently waiting for my FID card. I've been doing a lot of on-line research regarding the pistol I want to get. Unfortunately manufacturers only offer certain models with 10rd. mag. If I decide to get a 9mm. it gets even more difficult since most of them come with magazines over 15rd. For instance; I was interested in the M&P Full size with the thumb safety but it only comes with a 17rd. mag. I understand is not difficult to get a 15rd. mag itself, but I'm talking about getting a new pistol.

I've heard good things about budsgunshop.com, I called them to ask them if they could ship a pistol (that comes with a 17rd. mag in the case) without the magazine or with a smaller magazine, and they told me they can't do that. Although I'm not sure if these on-line shops are aware of the NJ mag. limitation, I assume they would ship it to the FFL and then the FFL in NJ would not accept the shipment.

Anyway, I was wondering how does it work with the FFL or just with a regular local NJ gun shop?

If I go to a local gun shop and I want to buy a gun that the manufacturer only offers with a 17rd. mag, could I get a smaller mag from the gun shop? Do I get any trade in value from the mags I can't keep?

Thank you,

Edward

Budsgunshop has a policy in place that they don't ship anything to NJ with mags over 15rds, and they will not replace or take the mags out....Been there, so i know your frustration. Now a local FFL will order it for you regardless of mag size, they just wont let you take them. As for trading them or getting credit for them is up to the FFL. Most i talked to said they will just take them out.. and sell legal ones there after, ussually no credit is given because they cannot sell the mags, and it would be more work for them to find a buyer out side on NJ.

I disagree with the post above. Maybe maks definition of easily is different from mine. Can you get 15 round FS M&P 9mm magazines? Probably. But it is much much easier to find a FS M&P40, M&P9c, or 10 round mags for a M&P9. I got a M&P 9c specifically because it was either 12 rounds for that, or 10 rounds for a full sized with try and find 15 rounders later. I'm actually glad because I'd rather have the compact to carry than a full sized pistol.

I would imagine that if you went to a local gun shop (or any gun shop in NJ) that they wouldn't even have the 17 round mags and it would come standard with the 10 rounders or 15 rounders to begin with.

same thing with the FN Five Seven. It's 10 or nothing, since everything else is illegal here. The PS90 is even worse. It can hold up to 50, but you can only own the 10.

I don't think anyone will even do a Jersey mod for you (maybe except for PK90).

Maybe maks definition of easily is different from mine. Can you get 15 round FS M&P 9mm magazines? Probably.

How's this for easy?

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=39498

ETA: To answer the OP, yes, most of the local dealers will just order the 10 round magazine version of the gun. The vendors that support the forum will usually give you a price that's comparable to Buds (once you factor in shipping costs and transfer fees). You may end up paying a couple bucks more, but, generally speaking, the process is easier when dealing with a local guy.

As Maks pointed out, there are more than a couple full size 9mm that have factory 15 round mags so you have quite a few guns to choose from that are all top notch firearms.

ETA2: And since you're in SJ, you should give PK90/ArmsNAmmo a call. Very good guy to deal with.

I'm in the same situation as you, Edward.

I don't have numbers but my guess is that you will find that certain 9mm guns are more popular in NJ because of the 15-round magazine restriction. For example, the Glock 19 vs Glock 17. I prefer the Glock 17 but might purchase the Glock 19 for due to the 19's 15-round magazine. Most 9mm come in two configurations: a 10-round magazine for California and other states with limitations and their regular high capacity magazine. The M&P seems to be unique in that it offers the 15-round magazine but it is only available a la carte. If you want the M&P 9mm, you buy it with 10-round magazines and then buy the 15-rounders.

Bud's is a good place to look and learn the street prices but I would buy from PK90.

Edward,

I am in the same boat. Like NJ2A, I'm interest if getting a Glock 17 as a first handgun but Cabela's ships it to NJ with a 10 round magazine. They ship the 19 with a 15 round magazine so I am leaning to the Glock 19 (which is now available in a GEN4). I am not sure I'm comfortable with their trigger safety and started checking out the Beretta 92A1 as an alternative. I had thought about going someplace to rent the Glocks and try them out but the Brick Armory won't let singles rent anymore, you need two people now. As this is a first handgun purchase I need to figure this out soon.

Any recommendations on where to rent?

Edward,

I am in the same boat. Like NJ2A, I'm interest if getting a Glock 17 as a first handgun but Cabela's ships it to NJ with a 10 round magazine. They ship the 19 with a 15 round magazine so I am leaning to the Glock 19 (which is now available in a GEN4). I am not sure I'm comfortable with their trigger safety and started checking out the Beretta 92A1 as an alternative. I had thought about going someplace to rent the Glocks and try them out but the Brick Armory won't let singles rent anymore, you need two people now. As this is a first handgun purchase I need to figure this out soon.

Any recommendations on where to rent?

Lean towards what you shoot the best.

Is the only difference between the two (92FS and 92A1) the accessory rail for lasers/lights?

92A1 has a removable front sight, rounded trigger guard, captive recoil spring, accessory rail and comes with 17 round or 10 round magazines (altho the 15 round magazines for the 92fs work just fine in the 92a1).

I disagree with the post above. Maybe maks definition of easily is different from mine. Can you get 15 round FS M&P 9mm magazines? Probably. But it is much much easier to find a FS M&P40, M&P9c, or 10 round mags for a M&P9. I got a M&P 9c specifically because it was either 12 rounds for that, or 10 rounds for a full sized with try and find 15 rounders later. I'm actually glad because I'd rather have the compact to carry than a full sized pistol.

I would imagine that if you went to a local gun shop (or any gun shop in NJ) that they wouldn't even have the 17 round mags and it would come standard with the 10 rounders or 15 rounders to begin with.

Yes, picking up the phone and ordering magazines from Smith & Wesson is difficult. :icon_rolleyes:

Ed it is pretty easy if you spend some time reading here. I was able to get the information for my documentation and where to get my gear all reading thread here.

G&R Tac. +1 for magazines.

I purchased a S&W M&P Pro in 9mm. I bought it at Shore Shot where I rented most of their 9mms finding the one that fit me. They had the M&P with two 10 round magazines. I then purchased five 15 round magazines from G&T (also found on a thread here).

Very very easy and I have put 300 rounds thru my pistol since purchase and it hasn't been a month yet.

I am also green as you. First Pistol and Fresh to handgun ownership.

Shoot while waiting for my paperwork I was able to score an inexpensive safe for my stuff while reading threads here.

Thank you very much guys! I'm checking Arms n Ammo inventory (PK90). Some of their prices are actually cheaper than Budsgunshop.com. After NJ sales tax it may be just a few bucks more or still cheaper depending on the specific firearm; I assume you don't have to pay any transfer fee when you buy the handgun from Arms n Ammo if u r in NJ.

I noticed that Arms n Ammo actually lists the M&P 9 full size with the thumb safety and 17rd. for $467, I'll give them a call to find out what's the deal with the magazines, I guess they keep them. It looks like he has all kinds of interesting stuff for a decent price, very nice!

These is the web that I'm looking at, I hope these helps to the guys who are in a similar situation:

http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subsites/dealer_home.asp?dealer_id=745144

It would be nice to get H&K, Sig or a Kimber. But for now I think I can settle for a full size M&P, Beretta PX4 or Beretta M9A1.

Edward

All of those are amazing firearms, you cant go wrong with any of them. The M&P is a terrific all around striker fired handgun, the Px4 I keep hearing great things about, and the M9 is tough to go wrong with.

+1. Even tho we have the stupid 15 round limit, there are quite a few very good handguns that fall within that limit.

If Arms&Ammo lists a 17rd magazine, it is for sale to people in states where a 17rd magazine is legal. The M&P9 Pro comes with night sights.

I've never seen one in person but there is a Beretta 92FS Vertec that has a slimmer grip. I shot the 90-two and it was a little big for my hand.

This is Davidson's inventory. Get the 10 round version or I'll alter the 17 rounders for a little extra.

Thank you PK90. I didn't notice u posted a reply. I called u guys earlier and it's good to know you can lock the mags to 15rd.

I'm waiting for my permits now, we'll keep in touch.

Edward

The Beretta 92a1 ships to NJ wither either 3-15rd or 3-10rd mags, it's not listed on there site, but the local shops around here have them with 3-15rds. Maybe they make an exception for NJ, but i've seen all current production 92's with 15rd mags in stores. Some places have the 10rders some had the 15rders.

The Beretta 92a1 ships to NJ wither either 3-15rd or 3-10rd mags, it's not listed on there site, but the local shops around here have them with 3-15rds. Maybe they make an exception for NJ, but i've seen all current production 92's with 15rd mags in stores. Some places have the 10rders some had the 15rders.

I think the M9A1 comes with a 15rd. regardless. And with a 10 mag. for Cali, NY etc. The problem is when the specific model you want, for instance M&P 9 Full Size with thumb safety, doesnt come with a 10 mag. option.

M9A1 is not a problem, thanks anyway.

Either way Arms n Ammo can lock 17 rounders to 15, so that solves the problem (better than getting 10rd. mags). It would be interesting to know if this is common practice.

Edward

I think the M9A1 comes with a 15rd. regardless. And with a 10 mag. for Cali, NY etc. The problem is when the specific model you want, for instance M&P 9 Full Size with thumb safety, doesnt come with a 10 mag. option.

M9A1 is not a problem, thanks anyway.

Either way Arms n Ammo can lock 17 rounders to 15, so that solves the problem (better than getting 10rd. mags). It would be interesting to know if this is common practice.

Edward

I had Paul block my mags and am satisfied with the outcome.

Have had no magazine related issues so his work is good to go

Thank you very much guys! I'm checking Arms n Ammo inventory (PK90). Some of their prices are actually cheaper than Budsgunshop.com. After NJ sales tax it may be just a few bucks more or still cheaper depending on the specific firearm; I assume you don't have to pay any transfer fee when you buy the handgun from Arms n Ammo if u r in NJ.

I noticed that Arms n Ammo actually lists the M&P 9 full size with the thumb safety and 17rd. for $467, I'll give them a call to find out what's the deal with the magazines, I guess they keep them. It looks like he has all kinds of interesting stuff for a decent price, very nice!

These is the web that I'm looking at, I hope these helps to the guys who are in a similar situation:

http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subsites/dealer_home.asp?dealer_id=745144

It would be nice to get H&K, Sig or a Kimber. But for now I think I can settle for a full size M&P, Beretta PX4 or Beretta M9A1.

Edward