lunker

Tokarev Conversion Barrel for 1911 in 9mm/38Super

I don't get it. The 7.62x25 Tokarev is an accurate, magnum powered round. It can be fired from a multitude of well built, all steel, inexpensive surplus Eastern Bloc firearms. You have precision and power in a reliable platform. Better still, you have factory ammunition that can be bought for the same price as the least expensive reloaded common caliber (9mm). To me that is the best of all worlds. And if I had very limited finances, I would buy a Tok pistol before I bought a Lorcin or a Hi-Point.

Add to that the mechanical inquisitiveness and love of experimentation of many firearms owners, and you have these new hybrids. No one looks down on people who like to tinker on their cars. Why should it be different with firearms? An AR chambered in Tok, a conversion barrel to run Tok out of a Glock 20/21 or 1911, what's cooler than that? But then again, I am a tinkerer.

My issue Chris was with the 1911 kit. It doesn't sound like the mags have solid feeding since people were messing with them and the rounds fed at an acute angle. You know the story there, bouncing off of the barrel hood.

The other issue is I hate corrosive ammo. How close to the price of a kit is a surplus pistol that was originaly chambered for that caliber?

As Matt said you can load 9mm for the same cost as Tok ammo and cheaper if you shoot lead.

As far as a hyper caliber...Who cares? I'm not trusting my life to surplus ammo. So I don't care if it's hyper.

For fun I shoot 9mm 115gr jackets @ 1150fps . 85-90gr @ 1200-1300 fps are no more fun.

The concerns about the lower are because since thats the registered full auto part, thats the $15k part and he doesnt want to chance losing it.

X25 is a pistol cal and so its milder than 223 so its certainly not going to beat the gun up. I never clean the trigger group on my tok are after shooting and there's no signs of corrosion whatsoever. Seems like a safer alternative frankly.

My issue Chris was with the 1911 kit. It doesn't sound like the mags have solid feeding since people were messing with them and the rounds fed at an acute angle. You know the story there, bouncing off of the barrel hood.

The other issue is I hate corrosive ammo. How close to the price of a kit is a surplus pistol that was originaly chambered for that caliber?

As Matt said you can load 9mm for the same cost as Tok ammo and cheaper if you shoot lead.

As far as a hyper caliber...Who cares? I'm not trusting my life to surplus ammo. So I don't care if it's hyper.

For fun I shoot 9mm 115gr jackets @ 1150fps . 85-90gr @ 1200-1300 fps are no more fun.

I agree about the kluge-ey mag situation. That is the bugaboo for all of the Tokarev pistol conversions. The round is just too long to fit in a standard magazine without having an unacceptable amount of tilt. If there were more commercially popular 357 autoloaders out there (Coogan makes a nice one), I think the Tokarev conversion for them would be a lot more seamless.

As for the surplus ammo I have yet to get a misfire, dud, squib, or the like out of the nearly 1000 rounds I have shot. Once I have confirmed a lot is good, I wouldn't have any problem trusting it.

X25 is a pistol cal and so its milder than 223 so its certainly not going to beat the gun up. I never clean the trigger group on my tok are after shooting and there's no signs of corrosion whatsoever. Seems like a safer alternative frankly.

Yeah but your tokarev isnt direct impingement!

BTW, surplus is cheap but not crappy. I've shot 4" groups with my tokarev offhand at 25 yards with surplus romanian.

If you can reload 9mm for the same price and prefer that, go for it. But time is money, and 7.62x25 is an awesome round.

Those are my thoughts. Will I be buying a conversion? No, I already have a TT33. Its a 1911 by design, holds 8 rounds, is well proven, and I shoot it very well. No sense in buying a $450 1911 and then adding a ~$200 kit to it. Not for me, anyways.

Ok Frank, we get it. You hate it, you think its stupid, you won't be buying one, nor do you think its wise for other people to spend thier money on it. Thanks for your input. Move on.

Which brings me to another point. There is a lot of textbook jealousy and hatred in this thread and its sickening. For such a tight community to lash out like this is silly. I would have expected a lot of positive "hey, thats a neat project, good luck with that" type comments, instead we get the typical internet dick-swinging and bickering that you find in places devoid of any sense of community. Rock on people. :icon_rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yeah but your tokarev isnt direct impingement!

BTW, surplus is cheap but not crappy. I've shot 4" groups with my tokarev offhand at 25 yards with surplus romanian.

Glenn let it never be said that I am not humble!!! You groups at 25 are as good or better than my GLOCK 34 with a stock barrel... :icon_e_biggrin:

Glenn let it never be said that I am not humble!!! You groups at 25 are as good or better than my GLOCK 34 with a stock barrel... :icon_e_biggrin:

Not sure if thats a jab or not, but I'll host you at my range in a few weeks and I can show you :)

MrP can vouch for that group size, I believe he witnessed it once. I've only beat that group size once, I guess just luck, but I am not a great pistol shooter so 4" for me is good stuff.

Not sure if thats a jab or not, but I'll host you at my range in a few weeks and I can show you :)

MrP can vouch for that group size, I believe he witnessed it once. I've only beat that group size once, I guess just luck, but I am not a great pistol shooter so 4" for me is good stuff.

No jab here you handsome devil... I'm not smart enough for that.. :icon_e_surprised:

I'm not doubting your groups, I'm just saying that's pretty good and Glocks are not known to be tack drivers in stock form.

Who would have thought that this would turn into a Glock vs Commie pissing match.

I like the idea of tinkering with guns. if ammo is cheap or not, do as you will. One day I will have a 38 special 1911.

Yes but you don't need to tinker to have one of those, Remington already made one, you just have to shell out 1k bucks for it! Except now that I think about it, it isn't a 1911 platform, it's just a semi auto platform, so not as cool, haha

But I concur, I sure would like a 1911 in .38spl

Yes but you don't need to tinker to have one of those, Remington already made one, you just have to shell out 1k bucks for it! Except now that I think about it, it isn't a 1911 platform, it's just a semi auto platform, so not as cool, haha

I ran into a guy who ran one in Bullseye competitions.

The Model 52 is supposedly a beauty, but I know that it only digests light powered 38 special wad cutters. I don't know if i've ever seen38special wadcutter factory ammo. I guess it's a gun for handloaders.

The Model 52 is supposedly a beauty, but I know that it only digests light powered 38 special wad cutters. I don't know if i've ever seen38special wadcutter factory ammo. I guess it's a gun for handloaders.

The 52 is SWEET and incredibly accurate. I know someone with several of them, and wins local competitions all day long with em.

Who would have thought that this would turn into a Glock vs Commie pissing match.

I like the idea of tinkering with guns. if ammo is cheap or not, do as you will. One day I will have a 38 special 1911.

Hey Tim don't start trouble! I gave the lad a pat on the back not a jab.

Well, my barrel arrived the other day and it looks rather nice. The muzzle has a nice crown and since the bore is .30, the barrel walls are thick! It comes with a blued barrel bushing which is kinda cheap since the barrel itself is stainless but i'll use it for the time being.

I also just ordered a Taurus SS 38 super from CDNN for dirt cheap to use as the host gun and that should be here next week. The barrel does require some fitment so it wont be usable right away but i understand that is status quo for 1911's. Primarily, the barrel hood is intentionally cut long and is the one thing that definitely requires fitment. Beyond that, i'll just have to see if the lower lug, link and upper lugs require any fitment, then move onto the bushing (which is fitted to the barrel, but we'll see about the gun). Reports around the web have been positive with amount actual fitment being minimal and feeding and firing running without issue. I have some ideas about the magazines that involve some simple ramp angle modifications to the follower to alleviate the bind. Should be a fun project for sure!