karcirate

12g or 20g? (First shotgun)

Not to start an argument but just because something is the most popular or sold the most doesn't mean it's the best. A good example would be wine. Sutter Home probably sells the most wine but it's definitely not the best. I'm not knocking the quality of either firearm I'm just saying it's a purely opinion based assessment. Many people think the glock is the best "plastic" gun. I like my Springfield xd better. See totally opinion based.

Now that the fight I anticipated has been resolved, I have one more question about where to purchase.

My options as I see them are Ramsey Outdoor, Dicks (both in Paramus), or Meltzers. (I am in Clifton.)

Does anyone have any experience with these places as regards to prices on shotguns?

I know I will most likely get the best service/knowledge at Meltzers, but if it's gonna cost me an extra $100 it's not worth it.

I don't like Meltzer's. I know tons of people that do I just find the staff there to be kind of rude. When I went to buy my first gun I felt like the guy there didn't want to help me or answer any of my questions. Even though I live 10 minutes from Meltzers I'd still rather drive to NJ Firearms Guild. I received much better service there. Joe at the Guild was awesome. Spent a few hours helping me out and I felt very confident with my purchase.

Looking to pick of my first shotgun tomorrow. I want to use it for sport and have it around the house...

Definitely getting a pump, good quality brand, 18" - 22" barrel, highest capacity I can find.

I am not sure of two things: 12 or 20 gauge (or another?), and what sort of ammunition should I get (for both purposes).

I know there are many opinions (and options) on both questions, but I'm just looking for a basic answer that will work and won't confuse me or give me too many choices and make my head explode.

Thanks for your help.

My honest opinion, I would opt for a 12 ga., only because this gauge offers so much versatility. With the right loads and barrel configurations setup to handle them, you're good for anything from squirrels to bear in N.J. And anything in between. The 12 ga. is the preferred go-to gauge for any of the clays games.

I don't see any recommendations for any bottom-eject pumps like the Browning BPS or Ithaca M37. Both are quality shotguns, and have gotten pricey over the years, but the bottom-eject models have fallen out of favor today for the side load/eject designs. The 870 has sold more than 10,000,000 copies, certainly the most popular. My only knock with Remington is their quality has dipped since they parted ways with DuPont years ago. Find a Remington built before the early 90's and you'll have a quality item. The other pumps that are equal and/or offer better build quality would be the Browning BPS, the Ithaca M37 and the discontinued Winchester M12. The latter two represent strength without unnecessary weight, forged all-steel designs, intricate machining and fitment; albeit all those features come at a high cost to produce. The BPS and M37 are still made today, while the Winchester was discontinued in late 1963 with almost 2,000,000 units sold. The cost to produce the M12 priced it out of the market and it could no longer compete in the age of cheap.

Good luck with your decision.