karcirate

12g or 20g? (First shotgun)

Looking to pick of my first shotgun tomorrow. I want to use it for sport and have it around the house...

Definitely getting a pump, good quality brand, 18" - 22" barrel, highest capacity I can find.

I am not sure of two things: 12 or 20 gauge (or another?), and what sort of ammunition should I get (for both purposes).

I know there are many opinions (and options) on both questions, but I'm just looking for a basic answer that will work and won't confuse me or give me too many choices and make my head explode.

Thanks for your help.

I would get a 12ga unless you're recoil adverse.

If you decide you don't like it, it will sell quickly.

As for ammo, what are you planning to do? Clays? Get 7.5 or 8 shot.

Home Defense, get 00 or 000 buckshot.

Turkey, #4.

Like most "____ pump vs ____ pump" debates, ultimately the two most well-known models that will probably be on the rack in your LGS would be a Remington 870 and a Mossberg 500. I prefer Mossy's, but both are high-quality, reliable, and easy to find extra parts/accessories for.

Both can be multi-purpose shotguns. By that, I mean you can get an extra barrel and then have a short 18.5'' or 20'' barrel for HD/HD shooting practice, and one (usually 24'' or 28'' vented rib choke barrel) that you can use for clays/hunting.

I have a Maverick 88 by Mossy and I have two barrels (both of which I just described) and they work great. It takes 5 seconds to switch them for whatever application I need.

As Malsua stated, 7.5 or 8 shot will work good for hunting and clay shooting, while slugs and buckshot will work well for HD. When you decide to purchase some buckshot, I would suggest getting a box of 0, 00, 000, 0000 buckshot and testing them at the range at different distances to see what the patterns are like out of your purchased shotgun. Then go from there and start buying lots and lots of ammo to shoot and practice with!

As for 12ga vs. 20ga, again as Malsua stated, I would lean towards a 12ga unless you really can't handle the recoil well. As for "managed recoil" loads in a 12ga, for me if you need something to tame the recoil go with an aftermarket buttstock pad and get a 20ga but that's just me.

Hey,

20 gauge shotguns barely give you any reduction in recoil. This is because while the load is lighter, the gun is also lighter. The lighter gun cancles out alot of your reduced recoil from the smaller round. If you are a smaller sized person however it is good because since the 20ga is lighter/smaller it is easier to handle. You will shoot a gun better if it fits you better. So generally I never reccomend 20ga for reduced recoil but I do however strongly reccomend it for small size. My girlfriend is small, and she has a tiny 20ga 870 with an 11.5" length of pull and 18.5" barrel. For what it is, it kicks like a mule. But for her, it feels like less kick than my 12ga 870 with 28" barrel. This is because when she fires the big 870, she cant hold it properly as its too big.

I hope thats easy to understand lol.

For sporting purposes you are going to want a barrel threaded to accept removable chokes. You will find most of those in the 24-32" range which is good for sporting. for HD you want as short as possible (usually 18.5") with a cyl bore, meaning no choke.

Follow the above poster for ammo

Looking to pick of my first shotgun tomorrow. I want to use it for sport and have it around the house...

Definitely getting a pump, good quality brand, 18" - 22" barrel, highest capacity I can find.

I am not sure of two things: 12 or 20 gauge (or another?), and what sort of ammunition should I get (for both purposes).

I know there are many opinions (and options) on both questions, but I'm just looking for a basic answer that will work and won't confuse me or give me too many choices and make my head explode.

Thanks for your help.

Get a 12 gauge you can handle it. You can always put a pad on the stock to soften the blow or wear a vest with a padded shoulder for clays.

If your interested in low prices but want high quality, check out a Maverick 88. It is the same as the Mossberg 500 except the 88 has a triggerguard safety instead of the tang safety on the 500. The price for an 88 is usually around $200, while the 500 usually runs $300+. With my savings I bought a crapload of ammo.

I've had my 88 for about 2 years now and have estimated over 10k rounds through it. It has a silky smooth action now and is a real work horse at the range. Toss any brand/type of ammo into it and it will have no problem functioning.

The 500 vs 870 argument really isn't far, as the 870 is a better gun. Now, a 590A1 vs. an 870 is a great debate.

BUT, any of the above will suffice. If you want to go outside the box, Benelli, Winchester or the Remy 887 are great HD pumps too.

The 500 vs 870 argument really isn't far, as the 870 is a better gun. Now, a 590A1 vs. an 870 is a great debate.

BUT, any of the above will suffice. If you want to go outside the box, Benelli, Winchester or the Remy 887 are great HD pumps too.

Evidence?

Many will say the 500 is better than the 870 while others will say the 870 is better. Neither is better than the other, they're both great-shooting reliable shotguns.

Many? The 870 is the most popular pump gun in the US. The only reason the 500 is mentioned is because it's cheaper. The 590A1 vs. 870 is a better discussion where both sides have valid points. I'm not trying to diss the Mossberg 500, as it's a great gun as is. But it will always be 2nd to the 870.

Many? The 870 is the most popular pump gun in the US. The only reason the 500 is mentioned is because it's cheaper. The 590A1 vs. 870 is a better discussion where both sides have valid points. I'm not trying to diss the Mossberg 500, as it's a great gun as is. But it will always be 2nd to the 870.

I prefer Benelli's (M1S90, M2, Nova pump) over the Mossberg and the Remington. I own a 500 and an 870 and they are rarely shot.

You assume we agree with your OPINION. I don't happen to. I prefer the safety position on the 500. It's ambidextrous and therefore superior.

The safety on the 500 is junk. And it's a pump gun, a safety is not needed. THE SAFETY IS BETWEEN YOUR HEAD

Ray, I thought you weren't "one of those" man!

The safety on the 870 is junk. And the 500 is the most popular pump gun in the U.S. while always being superior to the 870.

You could say that about any gun, you have no proof of one being better than the other. Just because some prefer an 870 while some prefer a 500 or a Benelli or a Charles Daly or a FNH doesn't mean that one is better than the other.

Aside from an endless debate, I hope some of us could help you on your decision Karcirate!

The safety on the 870 is junk. And the 500 is the most popular pump gun in the U.S. while always being superior to the 870.

You could say that about any gun, you have no proof of one being better than the other. Just because some prefer an 870 while some prefer a 500 or a Benelli or a Charles Daly or a FNH doesn't mean that one is better than the other.

Aside from an endless debate, I hope some of us could help you on your decision Karcirate!

The safety on the 870 is whatever. I never use it. But I'm sorry to tell you this but the 870 IS the most popular pump gun in the US. They crossed the million made a few years ago. Like I said before, a 500 is fine.

Well, it goes both ways. I think the safety on mossbergs is junk. But its a moot point, because I dont use it anyways!

870 FTW!

FYI, popularity as far as sales goes doesnt mean its better. Estate/federal cheap target loads are the most popular. Does that mean they are the BEST as far as quality goes? No...(not saying they are bad, but..). Correlation does not imply causation.

Well, it goes both ways. I think the safety on mossbergs is junk. But its a moot point, because I dont use it anyways!

870 FTW!

FYI, popularity as far as sales goes doesnt mean its better. Estate/federal cheap target loads are the most popular. Does that mean they are the BEST as far as quality goes? No...(not saying they are bad, but..). Correlation does not imply causation.

I think the safety's on my 88 are junk as well, so HA! My safety is so tight cause I never use it, so it's actually kinda difficult to engage. Just like the safety on my CZ that I never use and got screwed in the IDPA match.

By the way, 88 FTW :icon_mrgreen:

Now that the fight I anticipated has been resolved, I have one more question about where to purchase.

My options as I see them are Ramsey Outdoor, Dicks (both in Paramus), or Meltzers. (I am in Clifton.)

Does anyone have any experience with these places as regards to prices on shotguns?

I know I will most likely get the best service/knowledge at Meltzers, but if it's gonna cost me an extra $100 it's not worth it.