Sign in to follow this  
gimmemym1

hollow point question

After reading the thread about this Brian Aitken stuff I am curious about hollow points. I know they are perfectly legal in N.J. but all my target loads for my M1 and Ar-15 involve Sierra hpbt bullets. So my question is if I am coming home from the range and get pulled over for not using a blinker or something stupid like that and say I have 150 rds left over, all hollow point, am I gonna get the electric chair or be put in prison to rot? I know the media would love this, MAN ARRESTED WITH MILITARY ASSAULT RIFLES AND HOLLOW POINT COP KILLING BULLETS. This law really seems absurd. What kind of trouble would I be in?

After reading the thread about this Brian Aitken stuff I am curious about hollow points. I know they are perfectly legal in N.J. but all my target loads for my M1 and Ar-15 involve Sierra hpbt bullets. So my question is if I am coming home from the range and get pulled over for not using a blinker or something stupid like that and say I have 150 rds left over, all hollow point, am I gonna get the electric chair or be put in prison to rot? I know the media would love this, MAN ARRESTED WITH MILITARY ASSAULT RIFLES AND HOLLOW POINT COP KILLING BULLETS. This law really seems absurd. What kind of trouble would I be in?

You are fine. 2C:39-6 (edit: specifically subsection f.) exemptions have "to and from" condition.

Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or
  • Like 1

Thanks, just making sure. The whole part about being in possession of those while commiting a crime (speeding, no blinker, etc....) had me a little confused.

As far as I know , this is an urban legend. You could get tagged with "possession of a weapon for unlawful purposes" if the state could prove you intended to use the hollow point against someone, or were involved in other crimes in which they could link you had the hollow points for "unlawful purposes". Traffic violations do not count here, as you not using your blinker has no bearing on using hollow points unlawfully.

If you had a kilo of cocaine on you, with hollow points, they could argue you were using them unlawfully in terms of using them to protect your illegal drugs. That kind of stuff.

Just make sure they are in a sealed container or ammo can in the trunk.

I've overheard customers/employees at one of my LGS' talking about how if you have loose HP's on your floormat or loose in your car it could be a felony. Why? I'm not so sure. This is as I said, hearsay.

Just make sure they are in a sealed container or ammo can in the trunk.

I've overheard customers/employees at one of my LGS' talking about how if you have loose HP's on your floormat or loose in your car it could be a felony. Why? I'm not so sure. This is as I said, hearsay.

there is no requirement to have them in a sealed container in the trunk... I do not know that there is actually a charge for having them rolling around on the floor.. but the problem you face is creating a situation where if stopped.. and LEO sees a bunch of ammo (HP or not) rolling around on the floor.. you may end up with a situation where you have to answer more questions than are really necessary..

I know a guy that rented a car in PA close to the Delaware. The car had Jersey plates. While unloading or reloading for interstate travel he lost a HP between the driver seat and center console and was unable to find it. He spent an hour looking for it. I hope that thing doesn't pop out from under the seat during a traffic accident in Jersey.

Although the laws are confusing, the actual transportation is VERY simple. Do whatever you can to make it look like you have absolutely no intentions of breaking the law. Guns unloaded, in a locked case in the trunk. Ammo goes in another locked case with the rest of my shooting gear in the back seat of my car. By locked case, I mean that there is an actual padlock on each case. These padlocks are cheap, $15 for a pack of 4, yet it still goes to show that I have no intentions of committing any crimes. It's also easy as hell, might take me an extra 10 seconds to put the lock on/take the lock off. It may be more than I need to do to transport, but the extra 10 seconds is certainly worth the trouble I am potentially saving myself.

The key word is "crime" and what constitutes committing a crime. You would have to be brought up on criminal charges in order for them to charge you with illegal possession of hollow points. Of course this is only if you follow the exemptions of the law pertaining to transportation of hollow points.

Anyone know where there may be info on hollow point restrictions or requirements in other states?

I know almost everyone I meet up with In de for DELOC's (deleware open carry)monthly meetings have hollow points in there firearms while carrying

Anyone know where there may be info on hollow point restrictions or requirements in other states?

I am not sure, but I believe NJ is the only state with state-wide restrictions on HP ammo. I think maybe Chicago has restrictions.

A good place to check would be here:

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/

Unfortunately, I do not believe the NRA always gives perfect answers. So check multiple sources. Handgunlaw.us is good but I've never seen a reference to HP ammo. I usually check both, plus the SP and AG websites for states I visit. When there is questionable stuff I try to find people on the internet that are well-read in the law and try to verify it amongst all the available sources, usually erroring on the side of caution.