Sign in to follow this  
Cemeterys Gun Blob

F.I.D. Card Privacy

Thankfully NJ keeps it's information on gun owners hush hush, and Illinois is the same way, since they have a FID system as well.

But for them, that privacy could go bye bye:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/news/local/chibrknews-atty-general-illinois-should-release-foid-card-list-20110301,0,704858.story

SPRINGFIELD -- Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan says state police must release the name of everyone in the state who is authorized to own a gun.

State police determine who gets a Firearm Owners Identification card, which allows people to own guns. The police have always kept the list private.

But Madigan's public access counselor released a letter Monday night saying the information should be public.

The Associated Press had requested the list of FOID cardholders but state police said that would violate the privacy of gun owners. The attorney general's office ruled that argument invalid.

So.

Question is, does anyone know what is in place in NJ from this happening to us? Yet, I have noticed in a few gun control bills, that this info is to stay private. Cause if CeasefireNJ could weasel the info, you know they would get it publicly printed.

sure while were at it how about a list of every 1 who is NOT authorized to own a weapon or doesnt pay child supportor or taxes or has no car insurance or drivers license.but lets go after whats important first.

• Like 2

NJAC 13:54-1.15, which states: Any background investigation conducted by the chief of police, the Superintendent or the county prosecutor, of any applicant for a permit, firearms identification card license, or registration, in accordance with the requirements of this chapter, is not a public record and shall not be disclosed to any person not authorized by law or this chapter to have access to such investigation, including the applicant. Any application for a permit, firearms identification card, or license, and any

document reflecting the issuance or denial of such permit, firearms identification card, or license, and any permit, firearms identification card, license, certification, certificate, form of register, or registration statement, maintained by any State or municipal governmental agency, is not a public record and shall not be disclosed to any person not authorized by law or this chapter to have access to such documentation, including the applicant, except on the request of persons acting in their governmental capacities for purposes of the administration of justice.

Bob,

Just because something is written into the law, doesn't mean everyone in the government follows it. Look at the 30 day requirement for FPID and HPPs... Even the courts don't care, let alone the AG.

If it's a bad idea, not only can it happen here, it's likely to happen here.

Bob,

Just because something is written into the law, doesn't mean everyone in the government follows it. Look at the 30 day requirement for FPID and HPPs... Even the courts don't care, let alone the AG.

If it's a bad idea, not only can it happen here, it's likely to happen here.

Exactly.

NJ Courts already dismissed the 30day rule, and with Paula Dow as the AG, who knows. But with many Newspapers pushing for access to this information in many States, it could be just a matter of time till Bryan Miller starts cryin' it's about *public safety*.

Thankfully NJ keeps it's information on gun owners hush hush, and Illinois is the same way, since they have a FID system as well.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/news/local/chibrknews-atty-general-illinois-should-release-foid-card-list-20110301,0,704858.story

SPRINGFIELD -- Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan says state police must release the name of everyone in the state who is authorized to own a gun.

State police determine who gets a Firearm Owners Identification card, which allows people to own guns. The police have always kept the list private.

But Madigan's public access counselor released a letter Monday night saying the information should be public.

The Associated Press had requested the list of FOID cardholders but state police said that would violate the privacy of gun owners. The attorney general's office ruled that argument invalid.

So.

Question is, does anyone know what is in place in NJ from this happening to us? Yet, I have noticed in a few gun control bills, that this info is to stay private. Cause if CeasefireNJ could weasel the info, you know they would get it publicly printed.

fyi...you can opra it in nj.I just don't think anyone has realized that yet.

It's not a tinfoil hat thing, it's a real threat to privacy. Anti gun groups have used this technique to harass legal gun owners in several places. Recently someone posted a database of NY firearm owners on the internet, newspapers in different states have published lists of CCW holders, and there was a proposed law in Chicago to publish lists of gun owners like a sex offender.

All information given is abused the moment it is given - you can't take it back, it will never be destroyed, and all promises will be broken eventually. It's just that the actual results sometimes take a while. You better not be so thankful about NJ's privacy, it will change with the stroke of a pen tomorrow. I'm sure they already sell it and share it under the radar anyway. If not yet, it has been stolen from them and sold/shared under the radar I would guess. Just like everything else.

• Like 1

Looks like Illinois gun owners won this round.

From Days of Our Trailers

IL FOID Privacy Upheld

CHICAGO -- An Illinois judge has ruled that the state police cannot release the names of the state's 1.3 million firearm owner identification cardholders, another victory for gun-rights advocates who had been trying on several fronts to block release of the names.

Good. There is no reasonable argument for the release of these names. But here's the Brady Campaign's argument:

Brian Malte of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, which has argued in favor of releasing the FOID card information, said sharing it with the public and the news media helps make sure FOID cards are not issued to felons or others who should not have them.

They think it's THEIR job to determine who's allowed to have firearms in IL. Nevermind the fact that if the Illinois State Police issues a FOID card to a FELON, that's a failure of the ISP, not firearm owners. Gun Control advocates don't care if it creates a shopping list for criminals, endangering you and your family, but they scream to high heaven when the tables are turned.

I hope the brady bitches and cyan miller don't try to pull this crap here.......

All true! Lets all put on our tin foil hats together.

Tinfoil hats? Really? The fact that this is [really] happening in IL and are concerned means we are wearing tinfoil hats? Do you really believe that the state of NJ and their representatives are on the side of the honest, taxpaying gun owner? The fact that we need to REGISTER, be finger printed, pay, meet with a cop, be interviewed, log ammo purchases and treated like a criminal to SIMPLY "qualify" for a GIVEN (granted) RIGHT should be a clue to how backwards these people really are. NJ is also the home of the most sinister, progressive (AKA Marxist) president in the history of the USA. Let me ask this; So you would say, without a doubt our GUN REGISTRATION information would never be compromised by corrupt politicians, lawyers, Judges with radical ties or groups connected to them? Not a chance at all?

The fact that we have a GUN REGISTRATION (check history on that one) should at the very least be a concern in itself. So tinfoil hat for having a legitimate concern boggles my mind. I would rather have the mentality of "better to have and not need than to need and not have". Go ahead and make the jokes, I hear it from friends and family and really don't care. If I am wrong, then big deal I have a little extra food and ammo to eat/burn. But if I am right, then who is the fool?

• Like 1

It's not a tinfoil hat thing, it's a real threat to privacy. Anti gun groups have used this technique to harass legal gun owners in several places. Recently someone posted a database of NY firearm owners on the internet, newspapers in different states have published lists of CCW holders, and there was a proposed law in Chicago to publish lists of gun owners like a sex offender.

There's a very real reason why it is not an issue here. It won't help the gun grabbers. It will only expose discrimination and favoritism by the government.

Out of curiousity, I looked up Ceasefirenj.com, and it turns out they are friendly to our cause, almost a 2A group in fact. Check out their website:

http://ceasefirenj.com/

There's a very real reason why it is not an issue here. It won't help the gun grabbers. It will only expose discrimination and favoritism by the government.

Until the brady bunch says this: sharing it with the public and the news media helps make sure FOID cards are not issued to felons or others who should not have them.

Then I wouldn't put it past Weinberg, Ruiz, or any other moron in the legislature to go along with it.

Out of curiousity, I looked up Ceasefirenj.com, and it turns out they are friendly to our cause, almost a 2A group in fact. Check out their website:

http://ceasefirenj.com/

THIS is CeasefireNJ: http://www.peacecoalition.org/chapters/ceasefirenj.html

Tinfoil hats? Really? The fact that this is [really] happening in IL and are concerned means we are wearing tinfoil hats? Do you really believe that the state of NJ and their representatives are on the side of the honest, taxpaying gun owner? The fact that we need to REGISTER, be finger printed, pay, meet with a cop, be interviewed, log ammo purchases and treated like a criminal to SIMPLY "qualify" for a GIVEN (granted) RIGHT should be a clue to how backwards these people really are. NJ is also the home of the most sinister, progressive (AKA Marxist) president in the history of the USA. Let me ask this; So you would say, without a doubt our GUN REGISTRATION information would never be compromised by corrupt politicians, lawyers, Judges with radical ties or groups connected to them? Not a chance at all?

The fact that we have a GUN REGISTRATION (check history on that one) should at the very least be a concern in itself. So tinfoil hat for having a legitimate concern boggles my mind. I would rather have the mentality of "better to have and not need than to need and not have". Go ahead and make the jokes, I hear it from friends and family and really don't care. If I am wrong, then big deal I have a little extra food and ammo to eat/burn. But if I am right, then who is the fool?

And what do you suggest we do? If you expended the energy you put into this "Chicken Little - The Sky is Falling" diatribe, to further a 2A cause, your time would be put to better use. While it is good to anticipate what may happen, it is a waste of time to worry about a "could happen" scenario. If the effort was rebuffed in Daley's/Emmanuel's/Balgo's/Obama's back yard what makes you even think it would be successful here, beyond your paranoia? For anyone to attemp such a thing goes beyond a gun thing and enters well into the realm of personal privacy. Possible? Undoubtedly. Probable? Highly unlikely. Put your zeal into more productive endeavors.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

And what do you suggest we do? If you expended the energy you put into this "Chicken Little - The Sky is Falling" diatribe, to further a 2A cause, your time would be put to better use. While it is good to anticipate what may happen, it is a waste of time to worry about a "could happen" scenario. If the effort was rebuffed in Daley's/Emmanuel's/Balgo's/Obama's back yard what makes you even think it would be successful here, beyond your paranoia? For anyone to attemp such a thing goes beyond a gun thing and enters well into the realm of personal privacy. Possible? Undoubtedly. Probable? Highly unlikely. Put your zeal into more productive endeavors.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I understand what you are saying, but my point is "denial is the first obstacle in the way of taking ANY action". Once denial is out of the way, one is free to assess, deal and move toward a resolution.

I apologize if I seemed condescending... my post definitely reads that way. Once again I apologize...