I'm planning on shooting USPSA matches this summer in NJ. I presently shoot in Louisiana where the laws are somewhat different and I shoot a heavily modified M&P 9L race gun in the Open Division. I use 27 round mags (factory 17 rd. with a base plate extension) which I legally own. My guns and equipment have all been purchased in Loiusiana which has no gun registration or mag capacity limitations.

The only mags that S&W seems to make for the Full Size M&P's are the standard 17 round and a 10 round for NY, CA, etc. My questions are:

1. For those who shoot FS M&P's in any Division, what size mags did your gun come with and what do you shoot at USPSA matches?

2. Is there such a thing as a 15 round mag for the M&P?

3. If I'm bringing over 15 rd mags into NJ which I purchased legally as a Louisiana Resident, after 2004, am I in violation of the law.

NJ Laws are so damn confusing.

In NJ, there is no preban/post ban.

The M&P's usually come in full size or 10 round, even though NJ has a 15 round limit. For NJ, S&W created 15 round M&P 9mm mags. They are avail directly from Smith Wesson or elsewhere, I am sure someone will link to them asap. they are $24.99 a mag I believe.

Its a touchy subject with shooting 140mm or larger mags in NJ.

In NJ, there is no preban/post ban.

I was afraid of that.

The M&P's usually come in full size or 10 round, even though NJ has a 15 round limit. For NJ, S&W created 15 round M&P 9mm mags. They are avail directly from Smith Wesson or elsewhere, I am sure someone will link to them asap. they are $24.99 a mag I believe.

I wasn't able to find them, I'll call S&W.

Its a touchy subject with shooting 140mm or larger mags in NJ.

Am I correct that you can have larger mags if you have a NJ CCW?

Lastly, can an off-duty LEO have larger mags? If so, I could have a friend transport them to an from and I could shoot them at the match, correct?

39498 - Smith and Wesson part number for the 15 round M&P magazines.

I got them for $27 here: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=39498

What mods do you have done to your M&P?

Stanley,

Thanks for the info. I just ordered one to play with.

I had the gun built by APEX and you can see pictures, get the mod details and read about it at the APEX Tactical Specialties BLOG

You can also get a lot of additional information at this thread on the Brian Enos Forum

George

Its a touchy subject with shooting 140mm or larger mags in NJ. 15 rounds is the law, touchy or not.

Am I correct that you can have larger mags if you have a NJ CCW? LOL. NJ CCW are like Unicorns, everyone says they exist but no one has seen one.

Lastly, can an off-duty LEO have larger mags? If so, I could have a friend transport them to an from and I could shoot them at the match, correct? Do not even go there. Possession of a magazine with a capacity of more than 15 rounds is illegal in New Jersey. If you are in possession a magazine with a capacity of more than 15 rounds, even during a match, you are in violation of the law. You have to realize you are in New Jersey and it is a very anti-gun state.

George:

See above in bold. Spring must be close, George is coming back.

Mike

George:

See above in bold. Spring must be close, George is coming back.

Mike

Yes Mike,

Spring is getting closer. I'm looking forward to shooting with y'all this summer.

I really have no desire to fight the legal system or waste part of my life being a rebel for the cause. I ordered 1 15 rd mag today and I'll see what I have to do to get it to fit the magwell while leaving it unmodified in all aspects of capacity. In the meantime, I'll pay more attention to the way the Limited guys plan their stages since it'll be like shooting Limited with an Optic.

I'll also bring some other M&P's you can try. At least the mags will fit all of them.

I have some interesting training material to give you. I can't email it for a number of reasons.

I'll see you in June.

George

I received the 15 rd mag today and replaced the base plate with an SSS ESP Base Pad. The ESP base pad provides for easy seating with the ESP Magwell that I have on the gun and DOES NOT increase the capacity of the 15 rd magazine.

When I thought about my original questions I realized that: 1) I had no interest in breaking the law and 2) that using a mag with a greater capacity than 15 rds in NJ would give me a competative advantage, which is a no-no in USPSA and would warrant a DQ.

So, I'll get a few more 15 rounders, move some ESP Base Pads that I already own and have fun getting my butt kicked by better shooters.

I received the 15 rd mag today and replaced the base plate with an SSS ESP Base Pad. The ESP base pad provides for easy seating with the ESP Magwell that I have on the gun and DOES NOT increase the capacity of the 15 rd magazine.

When I thought about my original questions I realized that: 1) I had no interest in breaking the law and 2) that using a mag with a greater capacity than 15 rds in NJ would give me a competative advantage, which is a no-no in USPSA and would warrant a DQ.

So, I'll get a few more 15 rounders, move some ESP Base Pads that I already own and have fun getting my butt kicked by better shooters.

Got my other 5 mags today. Stanley, thanks for the sourcing information. I'll only bring 15 round mags with me.

Now that this issue is taken care of, I'll move on to the next ones.

Got my other 5 mags today. Stanley, thanks for the sourcing information. I'll only bring 15 round mags with me.

Now that this issue is taken care of, I'll move on to the next ones.

No problem it was all info found here :D

I can't wait to go to some USPSA events, they are the reason I bought the M&P Pro.

If I'm bringing over 15 rd mags into NJ which I purchased legally as a Louisiana Resident, after 2004, am I in violation of the law

I wouldn't have any Mags over 15 rounds in NJ, not even in my home locked away, not until there was a change in the law regarding having higher capacity mags.

Harry

I wouldn't have any Mags over 15 rounds in NJ, not even in my home locked away, not until there was a change in the law regarding having higher capacity mags.

Harry

I definitely understood that from all of the posts and that why I purchased a sufficient number of 15 rd mags to bring to NJ.

Thanks for emphasizing it.