Kuryakin

AR-15 Custom Build (opinions, advice?)

I am looking to have an AR-15 built. It's my first AR...

I came up with the list of parts/features below, please provide your opinion, ideas, criticisms, etc

I would like the AR to be built and tested by Spikes Tactical.

1. Spike's Tactical Biohazard BILLET Upper/Lower Set

a. Lower:

i. Integrated Winter Trigger Guard

ii. Flared Magwell

iii. Grip Serrations on Front Face of Magwell

iv. Preinstalled bolt catch

v. Integrated ambi-bolt release

vi. Low shelf - RDIAS ready

vii. Captured buffer retaining pin

viii. Captured rear take-down pin

ix. Trigger reset adjustable set screw

x. Receiver tension adjustable set screw

xi. Roll pin free design

b. Upper:

i. M4 feedramps

ii. Thicker design to reduce flex

iii. Compatible with many aftermarket rail systems

iv. Preinstalled forward assist & ejection port door

v. Flared side walls provide protection against accidental bolt release

vi. Magpul BAD lever compatible

2. Adams Arms Carbine piston system

a. (comes with 1 piece bolt carrier & Spring)

b. http://www.adamsarms.net/details.asp?sku=MPS-D-ADA

3. 14.5" Chrome Lined 1:9 twist Barrel (what make?)

4. Battlecomp 1.5 Permanently attached

5. Spike's MP Tested Chrome Bolt Assembly (223/5.56)

6. MilSpec Trigger

7. Magpul CTR Mil-Spec Complete Kit w/ Heavy Buffer?

a. Pinned to position 4

8. Daniel Defense 7" Lite Rail

9. BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) w/ Mod 4 (MEDIUM) Latch

10. Ambidextrous Safety Selector

11. Magpul MIAD grip

My observations.. I'm far from an expert so take them for what they are.

a) check the legality of the battlecomp, from their website "with flash comparable to an A2"

b- the only thing that I do know for sure about piston AR's is that they are all different between manufacturers. This could be an issue when it comes to getting parts in the future. Make sure you are comfortable with this.

c) On the barrel, I just finished my first serious AR build. From the net' and this forum experience, seems you cant go wrong with Novreske and BCM BFH barrels.

d) If you are going for a all high end build, have you considered triggers from Geissele or Timney,etc?

e) Don't forget the DD rail system needs to be installed before the muzzle brake is welded on. If you are having it done by the same place, won't be an issue.

Otherwise, to my novice eyes everything looks good! Lock and load the wallet!

Real quick:

1. Does the 7" DD rail work with Piston gas system, is their enough clearance?

2. If you are picking your own barrel, have you considered a 1:7 twist?

3. Battlecomp is a good choice, and is good to go in NJ

4. I second Dan's comment to look into some quality triggers.

5. The CTR with a piston kit may make the rifle seem front heavy... I have no experience with the AA kit, so I'm entirely speculating and could be way off :icon_redface:

Other then that - I'd buy it :icon_twisted:

I have an Adams Arms piston kit on my AR - you need to be *SURE* that the DD rail will not interfere with the piston rod or the gas block. Also, once your battlecomp is pinned/welded you will not be able to remove the AA gas block. I'd recommend you talk to both AA and DD to get some assurance, ideally from both, that they will work together before ordering.

I'd highly recommend buying all your upper parts first and hold off on buying the lower until after you send your upper off to get pinned/welded. This way you can test fit all the upper/rail/piston parts without being "locked" into any configuration, and you won't have "constructive possession of an assault weapon" because you don't have the lower.

Then once you send the upper off to get pinned/welded, get your lower.

Wow thats a nice rig. I mean other than it's gonna cost close to $3gz to build everything looks fine. Well the other guys voiced their concerns and I second that. Def shud look into 1/7 twist esp if you re planning to buy surplus ammo. I never heard of the piston sys to be honest. Something to look into in the future altho I'm not sure what a benefit of it Wud be. Also reading through this thread I realized that I mite ve made a stupid mistake with my build. Always learn something new here :)

Thanks for all the input!

I guess the purpose for the rifle is a SHTF/Combat scenario. I definitely don't plan to do any competition with it. After reading the following post on m4carbine.net Post and all of your comments above, I think I will be fine with the 1 in 7 twist barrel. I originally thought that the 1 in 9 barrel will give my gun better accuracy, I guess I should have done more reading, lol.

How is this barrel? BCM Standard 14" M4 SOCOM Barrel, Stripped

With regards to the trigger, I think initially I don't want anything fancy, just a standard mil-spec trigger. I may change my mind in the future, we'll see.

I always like the CTR stock, and I hate the fact that in NJ we have to pin them. Does anyone have any recommendations for a stock to balance the proposed configuration?

I guess the purpose for the rifle is a SHTF/Combat scenario.

Can I ask what combat scenario you plan to be in?

My $.02. Get out there and shoot a bunch of different guns. For the price you are looking at, you have A LOT of options.

My $.02. Get out there and shoot a bunch of different guns. For the price you are looking at, you have A LOT of options.

True BUT the fun / learning factor of putting it together urself is Priceless :)

By combat I mean self defense, shtf, wrol, whatever. I hope I never have to use it in that way, but I want a combat reliable custom built rifle, not something mass produced. I prefer to build it myself so I can learn about the AR platform.

I've shot a few other AR's in the past, and the most impressive to me, was the HK MR556A1.

If I got a 16" barrel would I still have to have the comp pinned and welded?

You dont have to pin/weld a 16" barrel in terms of making it longer. That is a legal length.

You will have to pin/weld something to cover the threads (as we can't have threaded barrels in NJ); however. There are available metal thread protectors that could serve this function (would still need to be pinned welded).

Personally if I didn't want a muzzle device, I would go with an 18" barrel, and have it cut, profiled, and crowned. That or find a 16" barrel without threads. Most out there tend to be the "bull" heavy barrels, not something you would want for a light and quick AR platform.

Why a piston? Are you aware of just how reliable a DI AR is when properly set up? You do realize that in SHTF you will not be able to find parts for a non-standard AR.

Read these links before buying any piston gun. I have nothing against piston guns, as long as they were designed with pistons in mind. The AR was not. Eugene Stoner intended the AR platform to be SIMPLER and MORE RELIABLE than the prevailing piston setups of the time. He had a chance to improve his platform one last time with Reed Knight, and he did by making the bolt bulletproof and calling it a century.

Piston Failures

The Big M4 Myth

I was all set to buy a piston gun before reading the second article. It totally changed my perception. A lot of the hype surrounding piston guns was created to sell piston guns.

Regarding reliability in extreme fouling conditions and piston AR's

Read this:

http://www.bravocomp...thy14_oct10.pdf

The common theme on the inets around AR and reliability all stem down to one statement - Not all AR's are built equally

To me piston systems are more of a science experiment in AR land. For a SHTF gun, I would not want to be experimenting with anything, and will want tried, combat proven, and time-tested systems.

I would also consider a target of owning both a quality AR and AK styled rifle. Parts are abound for both platforms, and both have their merits. Nice to be able to use two of the most common types of ammunition available out there, 5.56 NATO and 7.62x39.

Perhaps tone down your custom build here a bit for cost savings where it makes sense. Using traditional DI setup over the piston kit, and going with a quality forged upper/lower instead of billet will shave off enough $ to nearly net you a nice Saiga conversion in 7.62x39.

You dont have to pin/weld a 16" barrel in terms of making it longer. That is a legal length.

You will have to pin/weld something to cover the threads (as we can't have threaded barrels in NJ); however. There are available metal thread protectors that could serve this function (would still need to be pinned welded).

Personally if I didn't want a muzzle device, I would go with an 18" barrel, and have it cut, profiled, and crowned. That or find a 16" barrel without threads. Most out there tend to be the "bull" heavy barrels, not something you would want for a light and quick AR platform.

Thanks, good to know. I mainly want the battlecomp for the recoil reduction and the added accuracy.

Why a piston? Are you aware of just how reliable a DI AR is when properly set up? You do realize that in SHTF you will not be able to find parts for a non-standard AR.

Read these links before buying any piston gun. I have nothing against piston guns, as long as they were designed with pistons in mind. The AR was not. Eugene Stoner intended the AR platform to be SIMPLER and MORE RELIABLE than the prevailing piston setups of the time. He had a chance to improve his platform one last time with Reed Knight, and he did by making the bolt bulletproof and calling it a century.

Piston Failures

The Big M4 Myth

I was all set to buy a piston gun before reading the second article. It totally changed my perception. A lot of the hype surrounding piston guns was created to sell piston guns.

I have read those in the past, and I somewhat agree with what you're saying about DI in a SHTF scenario.

Read this:

The common theme on the inets around AR and reliability all stem down to one statement - Not all AR's are built equally

To me piston systems are more of a science experiment in AR land. For a SHTF gun, I would not want to be experimenting with anything, and will want tried, combat proven, and time-tested systems.

I would also consider a target of owning both a quality AR and AK styled rifle. Parts are abound for both platforms, and both have their merits. Nice to be able to use two of the most common types of ammunition available out there, 5.56 NATO and 7.62x39.

Perhaps tone down your custom build here a bit for cost savings where it makes sense. Using traditional DI setup over the piston kit, and going with a quality forged upper/lower instead of billet will shave off enough $ to nearly net you a nice Saiga conversion in 7.62x39.

Very good point, I feel the same way. I will do some research into a quality DI system.

Any suggestions for parts?

Read this:

What receiver would you recommend?

What receiver would you recommend?

I've done a bunch of research for my latest AR (built just last week). I was looking for top quality, and good value when it came to pricing. I went with a Spike's forged lower, and BCM upper (pre-assembled complete upper with BCM BCG). You can see it in the AR pics thread. That being said, there are many top quality parts and company's out there.

Awesome gun!

How is this upper?

BCM BFH 14.5" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ Daniel Defense LITE 12" Handguard with the BattleComp 1.5 pinned.

Awesome gun!

How is this upper?

BCM BFH 14.5" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ Daniel Defense LITE 12" Handguard with the BattleComp 1.5 pinned.

That's the same one I have on my gun, just I have the PWS brake welded on. I'm impressed with mine so far. Going to be shooting it tomorrow for the first time! Don't forget to add the BCG to it if you go with it.

Go for it :)

OK....I like BCM-Gunfighter charging handle. As a LEFTY shooter I like the ambi-safety though I am not sure what it offers to a right handed shooter. In a pinch I can operate right handed safety just fine so I would imagine a RH shooter forced to shoot lefty could do the same.

I do not see much of a point to everything else on the list aside from it being cool looking/sounding/trendy.

OK....I like BCM-Gunfighter charging handle. As a LEFTY shooter I like the ambi-safety though I am not sure what it offers to a right handed shooter. In a pinch I can operate right handed safety just fine so I would imagine a RH shooter forced to shoot lefty could do the same.

I do not see much of a point to everything else on the list aside from it being cool looking/sounding/trendy.

I see your point, I am working on revising the list anyways.