Ruger11

Buying a gun that has a hi-cap. mag.

Here's a simple question. I go to a gun store or gun show whatever, out of NJ, say in Pa.

I see an AR,or another rifle that only comes with a 20,30rd magazine.Can the dealer legally sell me that rifle without the magazine? Then I could buy a NJ compliant magazine, 10-15rd.

Yes but make sure the rifle itself is NJ compliant. It will be up to the dealer if they want to sell the rifle without mags. Just do a vendor price request and buy here. Most compliant models will come with 10 round mags.

You may find many sellers in PA unwilling to sell any AR/AK style rifle to a New Jersey resident, regardless of legality. Just because New Jersey laws are so confusing and harsh that they spook people.

Oh, and since language is such a large part of the battles we face as gun owners, it's time for all of us to stop speaking like "ANTI" and conceding the terminology to them. You cannot purchase a standard capacity magazine because New Jersey prohibits them. You may pick up a reduced capacity New Jersey compliant magazine.

• Like 1

You can legally buy the rifle with the hi capacity mag, you just cant bring it here. If you are at a show, buy the rifle, sell the mag to someone else. Its legal....

As pointed out before, make sure the rest of the rifle is compliant.

Tried before,no go.Guy at Dunkleburgers told me if you can't buy it in NJ,you can't buy it here.You can buy bb guns,hi-cap mags (seperately)even black powder pistols.But if it's a gun with any NJ evil features like 30rd mag forget it.Private people with tables at shows will sell you anything.

Tried before,no go.Guy at Dunkleburgers told me if you can't buy it in NJ,you can't buy it here.You can buy bb guns,hi-cap mags (seperately)even black powder pistols.But if it's a gun with any NJ evil features like 30rd mag forget it.Private people with tables at shows will sell you anything.

Sorry, corrected to not imply that you can do a face to face with an out-of-stater.

Ruger11, on 03 March 2011 - 01:50 PM, said:

But you have to get the private seller to fill out the NJ Certificate Of Eligibility. I bet some of them would look sideways at that.

There is nothing illegal about selling you a hi cap magazine, it would be illegal for you to being it back here or you canleave it out of state. I can understand why selling you the gun with the mag may be illegal but selling you the mag separately is okay.

Buying from a private seller out of state is a felony for both you and the seller.

Many NJ residents that had verboten guns and high cap mags moved them to their summer house in PA and that's perfectly legal also.

And I've had people at stores tell me that hollow points are illegal. Perhaps it is Dunkleburgers policy (same as cabelas if it is) to not sell non NJ legal firearms to NJ residents, but it is not law and you can legally buy any rifle from an FFL in PA that a PA resident could.

Lest we forget, Dunklebergers is under the watchful eye of the Mayor of the USA - Mr. Bloomberg. Dunks wouldn't want that transaction videotaped to appear later at a Bloomberg press conference about closing the PA Loophole. :icon_rolleyes:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Lest we forget, Dunklebergers is under the watchful eye of the Mayor of the USA - Mr. Bloomberg. Dunks wouldn't want that transaction videotaped to appear later at a Bloomberg press conference about closing the PA Loophole. :icon_rolleyes:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yup. You have to fill out extra paperwork at Dunks to register your guns with Bloomberg and the NYCPD from what I understand. Or you are not allowed to buy.

What the fugg?? What are they thinking?!?!?

They didn't have much choice. Bloombrg & NYC did one of their famous bs stings, and were going to sue them. With their unlimited resources, the fight could've bankrupted Dunkelbergers.

They didn't have much choice. Bloombrg & NYC did one of their famous bs stings, and were going to sue them. With their unlimited resources, the fight could've bankrupted Dunkelbergers.

Actually, I think about 40 dealers were named in the lawsuit, and only Dunks caved. The rest fought and ended up fine. From what I remember.

Everybody even remotely involved in the firearms business hates Dunks from my experience and nobody goes there. I'm not sure where they get their customers. Except that there aren't a lot of indoor ranges up that way. But everybody up there shoots on their own property anyway. I can only assume much of their business is from NYCPD and Bloomberg investigators filling up the store to make straw purchases. I'd actually like to stop by there sometime. And see how the jack-booted thug "clientle" like the sight of me walking in armed. With no statuatory arrest authority. It's probably the only space in The Great Commonwealth of PA where this would actually cause a panic.

And I've had people at stores tell me that hollow points are illegal. Perhaps it is Dunkleburgers policy (same as cabelas if it is) to not sell non NJ legal firearms to NJ residents, but it is not law and you can legally buy any rifle from an FFL in PA that a PA resident could.

The ATF has a rule that all gun transactions must comply with the laws of the state you're buying in and the state you live in. No dealer is going to sell a non compliant firearm to a NJ resident because that could end up getting their license pulled.

As far as buying guns without mags that originally came with standard (hi) cap mags, I have done this several times, totally OK.

I had an Olympic Arms Model K-16 shipped to an FFL....because it was Jersey Legal and what I could afford at the time..however they shipped it with a 20rd magazine.

The person at the counter who did the transfer did not realize it because the mag was tucked under the foam, and I did not see it untill I got it home. I immdediately destroyed the magazine, as I had on hand already a bunch of 10rd and 15rd magazines.