Sometime in the late 1990s early 2000s a friend told me you couldn't have or buy (I forget) more than 1000 rounds of ammo anymore. I went to Harry's a few months later and they would not sell me two bricks of .22 and some .223 ammo because it was supposedly against the law to sell/own more than 1000 rounds.

Now, from reading this forum, I'm pretty sure that is all partially or completely BS. Does anybody know where this came from or is/was it for real at some point?

OK, sounds like the same as everywhere else.

It was just really strange to hear it from my shooting buddy and then have Harry's Army Navy pull that **** on me only a few months after my buddy told me about it. Don't hate on Harry's, this was somewhere around 10 years ago. Very bizzare coincidence. Matter of fact, I seriously doubt it was a conincidence. Must have been some strange rumor going around way back then.

Thanks for the help.

not illegal. the only thing that MAY stand in your way is local fire regulations. But usually only jugs of powder are adressed. I think in NJ or my local town (I forget) anything over 36 pounds needs a wooden box...or something like that

Wooden box, lol. That will stop a fire from spreading to the powder! Gotta luv the govt.

My town requires a pirate chest. :icon_lol:

Wooden box, lol. That will stop a fire from spreading to the powder! Gotta luv the govt.

A powder magazine is properly made from wood. The idea is if there is a fire the wood will give instead of containing the blast as metal would do. Anyplace that sells powder will have a wooden powder magazine.

I think in NJ or my local town (I forget) anything over 36 pounds needs a wooden box...or something like that

I think tha may be a state fire code as I heard the same (or thereabouts) when I inquired about ammo quantities to the fire dept.

My town requires a pirate chest. :icon_lol:

Pirate chest, or pirate's chest?

pirate.jpg

I suppose it makes sense. I was going by the logic of professional fireworks 1.3G magazines, which must be metal enclosures wood or other non-metalic lined to prevent sparks. Still the enclosure itself has to be metal.

I suppose it could be different since firework magazines are to be placed outdoors away from human occupied structures, whereas a powder "box" would be in someone's home where metal would cause a fragmentation danger.

I would still go for a pirate chest. ^_^

I'll buy that for a dollar!

Robocop reference for the win.

Holly Madison is shapely but her raisins are about the size of a dime and when you place them on a grapefruit, they get lost. Not very appealing.

Sometime in the late 1990s early 2000s a friend told me you couldn't have or buy (I forget) more than 1000 rounds of ammo anymore. I went to Harry's a few months later and they would not sell me two bricks of .22 and some .223 ammo because it was supposedly against the law to sell/own more than 1000 rounds.

Now, from reading this forum, I'm pretty sure that is all partially or completely BS. Does anybody know where this came from or is/was it for real at some point?

Maybe not a law, but a store policy. Many places since 2008 have had a policy of limiting how much ammo could be sold to a customer so that they could maintain at least some inventory.

Powder will only burn in the open. In a strong cabinet or safe it will explode when ignited.

The wood keeps direct flame away for a period of time and will give instead of exploding.

Maybe not a law, but a store policy. Many places since 2008 have had a policy of limiting how much ammo could be sold to a customer so that they could maintain at least some inventory.

I don't know if this was a writing problem on my part but you quoted me saying this was almost 10 years before Obama became a US Citizen let alone caused a run on ammo.

;)

Powder will only burn in the open. In a strong cabinet or safe it will explode when ignited.

The wood keeps direct flame away for a period of time and will give instead of exploding.

read up on the posts above, i expressed my logic. and I agree, and will use a pirate chest

Anyone ever see anything official because I haven't. Now as far as fire regs that mat be different and may vary from town to town, but I can't see 1000 rounds being a problem. Heck when I get down to a 1000 of any one caliber handgun ammo and I think I'm getting real low, now don't even bring up 22LR's :icon_lol:

Harry

It was just really strange to hear it from my shooting buddy and then have Harry's Army Navy pull that **** on me only a few months after my buddy told me about it. Don't hate on Harry's, this was somewhere around 10 years ago. Very bizzare coincidence. Matter of fact, I seriously doubt it was a conincidence. Must have been some strange rumor going around way back then.

The last thing you should do is trust the guy behind the counter of a gun store with legal advice ... or firearms advice for that matter. Not that long ago I had the clerk in the local "Dick's" tell a customer - "Yes I can sell those hollow points to you. But the moment you leave the store with them you are breaking NJ law."