Sign in to follow this  
njpilot

Connecticut Pushing Magazine Ban

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=6340

Connecticut: “Large Capacity” Magazine Bill Introduced!

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Today, Senate Bill 1094 was introduced and referred to the Joint Committee on Judiciary. SB 1094 seeks to prohibit the possession of firearms magazines that accept more than ten rounds of ammunition. If passed and signed into law, any person in possession of any magazine greater than ten rounds, who has not already surrendered the magazine prior to enactment or ninety days after enactment, will be guilty of a class D felony.

SB 1094 is a bill in search of a problem, despite the recent media attention given to “large capacity” magazines, no correlation exists between the size or arbitrary capacity of a detachable magazine and violent crime. Owners of “large capacity” magazines are not criminals or individuals intent on committing atrocious acts; they are sportsmen or firearm enthusiasts who own the magazines for a variety of reasons, including sport, competition or self-defense.

Please contact the members of the Joint Committee on Judiciary here and respectfully urge them to oppose SB 1094 and any legislation that forces law-abiding citizens to surrender their property based on the actions of criminals who will not abide by this proposed law.

Makes you think.

I got mad when A3807 was introduced. I remember I was in the car getting ready to leave work when I got that email from the NRA. I don't want my property confiscated. I haven't done anything wrong. I never intend to shoot anything but paper - ever. And I sat there reading the NRA news on my Blackberry and I said to my self: "somebody should do something." And when I got home, I looked to my left and my right and I got this sickening feeling that the somebody was me.

I've learned a lot about politics and state government in the past few weeks. I've also learned a lot about my assemblyman.

When you were a child, were you ever shocked to bump into your grade school teacher in the supermarket - like you couldn't understand that they had a life outside of school? Well, I think that we collectively believe Assemblymen act the same way - that they are not living, breathing people who have lives and existences outside of the bills they introduce. I think that we forget that they have access to the phone and social media too. Heck, they probably have their own internet forums.

I don't tend to think that Assemblyman Greenwald is some Snidely Whiplash character, twirling his mustache and flourishing his cape, rubbing his hands together with glee at the prospect of disarming citizens. But I do think that this is calculated, and maybe even coordinated and I'll explain why.

I think that the Democratic party knows that they can't keep the House if they introduce another assault weapons ban. So the logical choice would be to slowly try to introduce bills in friendly states. If they can get one or two eastern states to pass new magazine restrictions, they could use those states as examples and say: "Well, those other states are doing it."

So this makes me wonder if a bunch of state legislators got together and came up with a plan to throw a bunch of ideas at the wall and see what stuck. New Jersey is naturally sticky when it comes to firearms laws. Connecticut... maybe less so. We'll see if these bills start popping up.

I think that the Democratic party knows that they can't keep the House if they introduce another assault weapons ban. So the logical choice would be to slowly try to introduce bills in friendly states. If they can get one or two eastern states to pass new magazine restrictions, they could use those states as examples and say: "Well, those other states are doing it."

So this makes me wonder if a bunch of state legislators got together and came up with a plan to throw a bunch of ideas at the wall and see what stuck. New Jersey is naturally sticky when it comes to firearms laws. Connecticut... maybe less so. We'll see if these bills start popping up.

So far we have;

New Jersey

New York

Connecticut

Arizona

Maryland(?)

Yeah, I agree. Large capacity would be a 70 round drum magazine in an AK, 100 round beta magazine in an AR, and the 30 somthing rounders in Glocks, Sigs, and Beretta's.

Yeah, I agree. Large capacity would be a 70 round drum magazine in an AK, 100 round beta magazine in an AR, and the 30 somthing rounders in Glocks, Sigs, and Beretta's.

I agree, to me, a 15 roumnd mag in a handgun in normal, esp in a 9mm. In an AR/AK I am used to 15 but 30 seems more reasonable. My HK and my 1911 are both 15 rounds.

I just had this debate, I think I like to collect guns as much as shooting, but a Thompson doesnt look right without a drum under it. (It would look even nicer full auto but I can dream.) An Ak looks "right" with a banana clip. Why cant I own these without being a criminal.

Has anybody talked to anybody in Connecticut to see if this thing has any chance? I find it hard to believe, but I don't know the state that well. These things do come up all the time in every state with no chance of even getting out of committee.

I though CT already had a 10 round limit, maybe I'm wrong or maybe they grandfathered some of them? :help: