Sign in to follow this  
axeman_g

Flooding

Took a drive around Pomton Lakes, Pompton Plains, Wayne...the Pompton Lake damn on Hamburg Tpk by the CVS is closed because of the volume of water is hitting the bridge and just under the roadway, but will likely winding up running over the road while the crest is still coming. Riverdale and Bloomingdale along Hamburg Tpke is shut down in large stretches because the rivers are running along the curb lines. The Wojo Clan is way up on a hill and is doing well.

wojo have you heard if the s-turns on 23 north are closed??

The area from Curly's Ice Cream 23 South was shut down to at least Jackson / Alexander Ave. I know from what I saw, this flood is the same if not a little bigger then the one we had last year. I can't imagine what 23 / Pompton Ave in Little Falls / Cedar Grove is like or Rte 46 around Pinebrook...has to be a mess.

Matt - I'm going to guess that they have Rt 23 detoured at Newark Pomp TWK on the southbound side. They always detour it there. The water is crossing 23 down by Jackson Ave - it's basically a lake. I'm not sure of the detours on the northbound side. Sometimes they detour 23 north up Newark Pomp TWKif it's really bad down there. I'm going to guess it's really bad since the golf course and hotel down that way were flooded from the last rain. The rivers haven't crested yet.

I'm up in Butler on high ground, but the low lying area's by Bloomingdale are closed off. Hambug TWP going from Butler into Bloomingdale is closed. It's best to avoid anything near 23 if possible. Glad I didn't go into work today.

yeah 23 south of where I am in pompton plains is closed for sure.

What I'm trying to find out is if the s-turns on 23 right after germantown road is closed. Supposedly I heard that they were closed but now I'm hearing no one's heard of this yet.

M

an s-turn is not a highway given term its a locally given term to a part of highway up in these neck of the woods that looks like an s repeated twice meaning you have switch backs that go right left right left back to back thus creating two s's in the highway.

When your young and dumb and have a souped up car, it's fun to race people in said turns at speeds above 90 mph, but then when you grow up and realize how ridiculously dangerous it is, you realize how the hell have you lived this long :p

an s-turn is not a highway given term its a locally given term to a part of highway up in these neck of the woods that looks like an s repeated twice meaning you have switch backs that go right left right left back to back thus creating two s's in the highway.

When your young and dumb and have a souped up car, it's fun to race people in said turns at speeds above 90 mph, but then when you grow up and realize how ridiculously dangerous it is, you realize how the hell have you lived this long :p

I drive through them every morning, and it seems that hardly a week goes by that someone didn't crash into a pole, guardrail, the woods or the cliff face.

You probably by now know the road is open, it was open this morning, it looked like a lot of water was coming off the mountain last night and couldn't get under the road, so it was running down and then across the road and into the river.

I hope everyone stays safe and heeds the warnings early to evacuate areas that are prone to flooding. When the waters rise it's no time to be a hero and try to brave out the weather. Like I tell everyone I deal with that's ever been impacted by a disaster. You can replace material things. You can't replace YOU.