JonF

Anyone have a Coonan 357?

After some hiatus, Dan Coonan has apparently resurrected the old Coonan 357 Magnum 1911 design. The guns are for sale with a bit of a wait though. The guns start a bit over a grand and go up from there with options. Anyone had/have one of these in either the older variant or the new production and can give thier opinion? I'm mainly curious about the build quality of the new ones as the older ones were known to be hand fitted, each one of them. Of course, since parts were all fitted, replacement parts weren't just drop in, however, i suppose this is par for the course for custom guns.

Tiny at Shore Shot has one. He was trying to talk me into one but at the time I lacked the funds. I haven't shot it or seen it yet though.

I had one of the old model B pistols. Absolutely awesome pistol. A 1911 on steroids. more accurate than any of my other pistols by far. Heavy, all stainless construction, tight fit between frame/slide/barrel, but not too tight. 125 gr. JHP loads shot a 16" flame out the front. Sold it for a hell of a profit over what i paid, kinda regret it now though. Did have one issue....it would tend to stovepipe a live round when you got down to 2 or 1 round left in the mag. Never could figure that out, think it was due to the necessary design of the mag fed lips and the steep angle needed for feeding, the front of the round would jump up as the slide cleared it, then on the return to battery, the nose of the bullet was now above the chamber height, so when the slide grabbed the base and shovbed it forward, the nose would end up pointing straight up, and the slide would slam down on the side of the case, making the round unusable.

Tiny at Shore Shot has one. He was trying to talk me into one but at the time I lacked the funds. I haven't shot it or seen it yet though.

Last night at the fun shoot, Andy told me the same thing, he bought a pair! Unfortunately, he had taken them home already because it would have been nice to actually inspect one if they still had it in the safe.

They are kind of cool 1911's. Never owned one but shot a couple. I dont think they were the most reliable guns b/c of the whole concept...shooting a hot revolver round in a semi-auto format. It wasnt meant to be. There are better options like the 38 Super, 9x23, 357 Sig, and 10mm if you want to shoot those type of ballistics. Mags were a problem getting after the company went under. Also, spare parts were getting harder to find so if your Coonan was busted then you better hope a regular 1911 part fit or could be modified to fit.

Hmm. Can you shoot .38 Special out of it too?

yes you can. the gun will include a softer recoil spring to use with the 38's and the mag will apparently feed them fine despite the shorter length.