SJ Shooter

Gun Safe Recommendations???

I wanted to gather some opinions on what the forum pros thought on a gun safe options out there..Manufactures, options, security, etc. Water proof, Fire proof... I have heard of Browning, Libery, Big Horn...The best for a budget is $1,300. Thanks for your time.

Your selections will be dictated on what you are storing but here are some that I use:

http://www.gunvault....lti-deluxe.html

http://www.costco.co...-US&Sp=C=

Costco has others that range from $400 or so up to $1,500

I don't have a ton of experience with safes but I can tell you about the one I bought from Costco.

What I got: Sentry fireproof safe.

• The process was easy [i'm not even a member, used family member's account].
  • The delivery was fast, less than 2 weeks
  • The delivery guy was great (guy used pallet jack to position it right where I wanted it).
  • I haven't had any major issues.
  • The only thing I am not crazy about is the shelving. I still shake my head trying to imagine what the designer was thinking. A bit of effort and I was able to arrange it the way I wanted. Sentry customer service was great, I called and they immediately sent out me a whole new set of shelves which made my customization much easier!

I definitely wanted a fireproof safe because I planned on putting documents, pictures, media in it as well. The fire rating isn't off the charts or acceptable for media like CDs, HDDs, etc but the safe is big enough for me to place a firebox with those backup materials inside of it. I didn't feel I needed waterproof because it isn't in a location where it would ever be in standing water. Even if the local FD had to flood my house to put out a fire.

I also recommend one of these dehumidifiers, it works great.

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-safes-remington-mini-dehumidifier-1.shtml

I've been looking for a safe as well. But I need a narrow one(22in max) so far I've learned that most safes in this category are really nothing more then heavy lockers. I've also learned not to store ammo in a fireproof safe as ammo cooks off at a lower temp and releases gasses and odors that will render papers and guns pretty much useless. I've learned as well via YouTube to not put the safe next to a foundation wall unless it's tight up against it as any gap from the back of the wall to the back of the safe is perfect for a thief to use to pop it off the the floor bolts with a pry bar.

For burgler proof my needs are

10 gauge steel or thicker is a minimum as are re-lockers and six bolts in the door. The better safes seem to all have the hinges outside as opposed to hidden.The door should be 1in thick steel.Be careful with that, as most safe makers tell you how thick the door is but not the steel thickness of the door.Also check the inside rim of the door for thick steel for the door bolts to grab onto. I am leaning twards amsec and liberty so far but cannon has an attractively priced safe thats number three but not as heavy duty.

For a safe just to keep the kids out BJ's wholesale club has a bighorn classic for $399 that seems to look ok. But in this price range most safes are pretty much the same.

I've also learned not to store ammo in a fireproof safe as ammo cooks off at a lower temp and releases gasses and odors that will render papers and guns pretty much useless.

I've looked into this and see conflicting information. I'd like to hear more opinions on it. I currently store my ammo in the safe. I haven't had any problems but my safe is low humidity and isn't closed for extended periods of time. Also, the safe isn't airtight (unless a fire heats it and the insulation expands).

Why is ammunition stored in a gun safe? Take it out and you'll have more room for guns. Chances are that your firearms are worth more than the ammunition you put into it. A thief is not going to be hauling cases of ammo out of your house, when he can pick up a flat screen worth twice and half the weight. If you are concerned about 'the children' taking it and throwing cartridges at one another, get a lockable lightweight cabinet like a Stackon to secure the ammo.

I just saw you are from Absecon, take a drive at PK90 place, he has some nice safes for sale at very good prices

I wanted to gather some opinions on what the forum pros thought on a gun safe options out there..Manufactures, options, security, etc. Water proof, Fire proof... I have heard of Browning, Libery, Big Horn...The best for a budget is $1,300. Thanks for your time.

Why is ammunition stored in a gun safe? Take it out and you'll have more room for guns. Chances are that your firearms are worth more than the ammunition you put into it. A thief is not going to be hauling cases of ammo out of your house, when he can pick up a flat screen worth twice and half the weight. If you are concerned about 'the children' taking it and throwing cartridges at one another, get a lockable lightweight cabinet like a Stackon to secure the ammo.

I keep it in there by default since I don't have enough guns to fill my safe yet! I'm working on it though! haha

City Safe in Howell, NJ has a real modular unit that can be installed anywhere. If I had the money, I would buy that one. Don't F around with 3 or 4 small ones when you can get one good one. +1 for the guy recomending ammo stored in a metal locker, he is correct about valuation.

I have been wanting to go visit Paul's place...its on my todo list very soon.

It's worth the trip, great shop and the combo Home and Shop and his property is very very nice. I could get used to living like that, and when you go you will know what I mean.

Harry