jcerillo70

What is the best type of ammo for Match/Comp ?

Good question. I'm looking forward to the responses since I'm pretty new as well.

I'm pretty sure what ammo you uses comes down to shooter's preference and competition rules. Honesty, I use the same ammo at practice as I do in matches. I think it comes down to what you feel most comfortable shooting, shoot most accurately with, and if the ammo is loaded to minor or major specifications according to match guidelines.

If you're just starting out, use what you use in practice. You'll make adjustments as you get more into the sport.

I thought "practice" rounds were because they aren't as consistent, irrespective of what shape the bullet was. I'm pretty sure you can find "match" ammo with FMJ (especially since some of those tuned guns get finnicky about feeding HP), but "defense" ammo will be HP or EFMJ.

That being said, HP's move the center of gravity rearward which is supposed to help stability.

Now someone can come in and correct me... :icon_e_confused:

I reload montana gold 124 grain JHPs for all around 9mm ammo since it is barely more expensive than 115 FMJ.

-Most barrels shoot 124 better

-124 feels better

-JHP shifts center of gravity to rear, more accurate

-JHP punches cleaner holes

-due to method of construction, they have a jacketed base too which is perfectly flat. This makes it cleaner and more accurate

-FMJ/JHP is 100 times more accurate than plated, accept no substitute for true FMJ/JHP

for .45 I use 200 grain SWCs.

-Cast lead is more accurate than FMJ in theory (cant be voids under the jacket if there is none!)

-SWC punches cleaner holes

-cheap

-infinate barrel life

Depends on the gun. Specifically on the rifling. If your shooting an AR15 and have a 1 in 8 twist rifling then the gun can shoot heavier bullets. There are match 75 grain boat tail rounds in 223 that are less effected by wind, but the heavier round works better with the faster rifling. Your specific gun may shoot 55 grain rounds more accurately then 62 grain bullets, again it depends on the gun.

All that being said; I have shot 55 grain wolf ammo in high power matches and done fine.

With pistol ammo, unless your shootig out to 50 yards and beyond, it doesn't make much difference.

The bottom line is to try different rounds to different distances and see what works best for your gun.

• Like 1

When you say match you need to define what type of match. If you are punching paper, bullet type is more critical for a better score. 1/64 of an inch is crucial for precision shooting. If you are shooting steel or other matches that just require to hit within an area then bullet type does not matter. Just their power requirements.

Probably not the best for shooting matches, ragged holes just might break that perf for you :icon_twisted:

Radial tears and perf breaks do not count as a score. The profile of the bullet must break the pref. That's why the RO's carry scoring cards. Hey...I can't cover everything in class.

As for me, I avoid hollow points in New Jersey. Even though it is legal to carry them to and from the range or a match. I have read too many news stories where a police official stated hollows points are illegal except for police and the military.

I use JHP's in 9mm and 40s&w. For my 45acp I use LSWC because it's cheap and i don't use my 45 as much as I used to.

My practice ammo is my match ammo. I practice with what I shoot so that I am accustomed to it and it keeps everything consistent.

I do have a small batch of 9mm reloads with wolf primers that I will use as practice. (wolf primers suck in glocks)

I would suggest you "find" your load and use it for everything.