papercutninja

Joining Range 14

I shot there for my first time today. I had the 200 yard range all to myself. Nice thing about having the range all to me was the RO let me go downrange whenever I wanted to check targets. Very friendly people.

Next time I go I will bring my own targets, extra paper and a staple gun. I only bought 2 targets and put them both at 50 yards for sighting purposes. Got kinda boring, so I will set up targets at various distances once I figure out my rifles. The post hole diggers where not that bad to use. I also need a scope or binoculars to check the targets.

Can you shoot non-paper targets, like plastic bottles and cans?

It was cold and wet, but fun to be outside. And the sound of 50 caliber automatic fire from Dix was cool background noise.

Papercut,

I also plan on joining Range14/Fort Dix shortly too. Im a total beginner and I have heard good things about this range, and the fees are very good!

Plus, I am sure I will enjoy outdoor shooting MUCH more that indoor, not matter how good the ventilation system is, you are still inside with no fresh air!

My membership just expired today, so, I need to get over there to get another soon. Good to know that they opened Friday hours (from the other thread), even with the weather. Also pretty cool that they let you have free reign with the range (don't expect that to happen often).

Having a shovel really does make a difference. I have one that sits in my box o' targets (and other range goodies) just for Range 14 and its sand/dirt/clay.

time you heading there?

i'm planning on joining too now that i have an AR

more questions about joining

you can just go pay the $60, sign up and shoot all the same day?

also it's $60 for the membership but $3/hr every time you visit, right?

I just joined on Wednesday and shot with a buddy of mine. $3 for a target is not bad at all. They all come with a wooden post already attached and there were 3 to choose from. We got one of each but our favorite was this as seen through my 10/22's scope...

UohCe.jpg

My WASR did get a nasty look from the people next to us but whatever.

Get your lane for 2 hours at least the first hour FLIES by.

you can just go pay the $60, sign up and shoot all the same day?

Yes that plus the hourly fee

also it's $60 for the membership but $3/hr every time you visit, right?

Yep - it's also $3/hr for any guests you have

Dammit. And here i though i was stupid. Block.

BTW, joined up today. Had a great time.

I learned a couple of things:

More ammo.

Binoculars to see your hits on target.

Bipod or sandbags for bench shooting (to sight in irons/red-dot).

Short mags for bench or prone shooting.

Buy a real Aimpoint (my Primary Arms clone didn't work).

Letting your mags drop-free means they'll be filled with sand.

Bring more guns.

Get a real e-tool, not the Made in China crap.

i joined today too... got there around 2ish stayed til the end. i was on table 5.

agreed with everything up top

need to find me a spotting scope

and a shooting bag to shoot off of... i had a pretty tough time zeroing in at 50yds

buy more short mags (can we get another group buy, ty?)

what time were u there til papercut?

also what was wrong with the primary arms red dot?

I personally am not too comfortable shooting from the bench at that range. I do prefer to shoot prone to began with, but unless you're the right dimensions, I don't find the bench all that comfortable (which means there is a higher chance of messing up my process). Sandbags wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if you opted to just bring the bag, and fill it up at the range every time (and dump it out after). I personally use my range bag as an ad hoc support if need be though.

Ahh, i LEFT at 1:30, so we just missed each other. The PA red dot would turn on and off with the recoil of each shot. I thought maybe the battery needed to be swapped, so i did and still no good. I shot them an email; let's see what they say. I'm going to grab one of those new Aimpoint PROs or a used ML3 and be done with it. If anything i'll toss the PA red dot on a .22 upper if i ever get one.

Aimpoint PRO looks like it's being sold to LE/MIL only right now.

If you go to a Walmart in PA or possibly Dick's here in NJ you can get a shooting rest for a decent price. I know I saw that the Walmart in Levittown as well as the one in Neshaminy (Feasterville-Trevose) have beanbags and shooting rests for pretty cheap.

I bought a Vortex SPARC for my AR - will see how it performs once everything's together.

im hoping to shoot steel there. if i bring my own target and shoot from 200 yds, is there special ammunition i'm supposed to use?

Any ammunition is permitted. Steel must be a swinger, or angled downward.

ETA: Minus tracer or incendiary rounds.