DblEGT

Leaning towards a Beretta 92FS

I shoot the 92FS in USPSA and one in IDPA. I remember about four or five years ago I had a failure to feed. Not bad for thousands of rounds shot. You will not go wrong with it. About the only downside is the front sight is not removal. Other models have a removal front sight which is good if you want a fiber optic.

On to the fun factor. You don't know fun until you shoot competition. Go over to the Competition Forum and ask the guys that just shot their first match how much fun it was. Hell, ask Maks - he's totally hooked. Come to the next match at Shongum and watch. Plus you can handle a bunch of guns.

Might just have to take you up on that....sure sounds like alot of fun ! :-)

I'll be honest, I don't know a thing about competition shooting, but I can see it being very interesting. Is it all about putting the round on the exact target specified by that particular event? Is it then measured as something like "closest to the pin"?

I just got a Bereta 92A1 a couple of weeks ago and I've put about 500 rounds through it already, and I can tell you that I LOVE the gun. The 92A1 is the newest variant of the Beretta 92 line of pistol. To be honest, I would go for the 92A1 over the 92FS if I were you... it has some newer improved internals over the classic 92FS.

I just got a Bereta 92A1 a couple of weeks ago and I've put about 500 rounds through it already, and I can tell you that I LOVE the gun. The 92A1 is the newest variant of the Beretta 92 line of pistol. To be honest, I would go for the 92A1 over the 92FS if I were you... it has some newer improved internals over the classic 92FS.

I was thinking of getting one or the other after my P2P's arrive, and then 30 days after I get a Glock 19, so I have some time. Can anyone else comment on the relative merits of the FS vs. the A1?

Might just have to take you up on that....sure sounds like alot of fun ! :-)

I'll be honest, I don't know a thing about competition shooting, but I can see it being very interesting. Is it all about putting the round on the exact target specified by that particular event? Is it then measured as something like "closest to the pin"?

It's all about figuring out the stage and shooting it as fast as you can while getting a good score. You are engaging multiple targets and different target types (paper and steel) so there is no such thing as "closest to the pin". It is measured by a time vs. points system.

Check out these videos from the last match: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/23160-uspsa-match-at-shongum-range/page__st__40

I was thinking of getting one or the other after my P2P's arrive, and then 30 days after I get a Glock 19, so I have some time. Can anyone else comment on the relative merits of the FS vs. the A1?

This is what I found online, about the main differences between the FS and A1's:

1-Rounded trigger guard - Updated styling to conform with current pistol gripping practices.

2-Captive recoil spring assembly: The single-piece design simplifies the assembly and disassembly process and minimizes the possibility of spring loss

3-Removable front sight: Allows the user to easily replace a damaged sight or replace it with an accessory sight - This is HUGE plus in my eye, as you can put any sights you want on the pistol. On the FS, the front sight is fixed and not changeable.

4-Internal recoil buffer: Increases service life by reducing stress on the receiver.

5- Picattiny rail on the A1 so you can attach a light or laser if you like

I think the FS is a very nice looking gun... but to me the 92A1 is nicer looking. Of course I am biased as I own the 92A1, but I bought it based on that I preferred its looks over the FS and also for the reasons I listed above.

Awesome, congrats on your purchase. If you don't mind, can you let me know if you shopped around alot? Also, what price and where did you finally buy it from?

This is what I found online, about the main differences between the FS and A1's:

1-Rounded trigger guard - Updated styling to conform with current pistol gripping practices.

2-Captive recoil spring assembly: The single-piece design simplifies the assembly and disassembly process and minimizes the possibility of spring loss

3-Removable front sight: Allows the user to easily replace a damaged sight or replace it with an accessory sight - This is HUGE plus in my eye, as you can put any sights you want on the pistol. On the FS, the front sight is fixed and not changeable.

4-Internal recoil buffer: Increases service life by reducing stress on the receiver.

5- Picattiny rail on the A1 so you can attach a light or laser if you like

I think the FS is a very nice looking gun... but to me the 92A1 is nicer looking. Of course I am biased as I own the 92A1, but I bought it based on that I preferred its looks over the FS and also for the reasons I listed above.

I believe the internal recoil buffer is only on the .40 cal version (96A1), not the 92A1 (9mm).

I had my mind all set on the 92A1, then found out it only comes with a 10 round magazine (vs 15 rd mag for 92FS).

Is this true? If so, do you think thats sort of a negative vs the 92FS?

Its also about $50 more expensive.

I believe the internal recoil buffer is only on the .40 cal version (96A1), not the 92A1 (9mm).

I had my mind all set on the 92A1, then found out it only comes with a 10 round magazine (vs 15 rd mag for 92FS).

The recoil buffer is in both the 92A1 and 96A1, as they use the same exact frame. The 96A1/.40 cal benefits the most from the recoil buffer, as the .40 caliber round has quite a bit more recoil than the 9mm.

Yes it comes with 10 round magazines, which I don't see as a negative. You can buy good quality (Mec Gar) 15 rnd mags for under $20. Personally, I don't mind the 10 round mags, as it takes me longer to go through all my ammo at the range.

No I don't think it's a negative vs. the 92FS as the 92A1 is an improved version of the 92FS. If I had to do it all over again, I'd still pick the 92A1. It's personal preference, but I also think the 92A1 is a better looking pistol than the 92FS. But again, that is just personal preference.

Awesome, congrats on your purchase. If you don't mind, can you let me know if you shopped around alot? Also, what price and where did you finally buy it from?

Yes, I shopped around a lot but ended up getting from an FFL that is local to me as he was able to get me teh lowest price that I've seen ANYWHERE (even online) for the 92A1. Please PM me and I can give you specifics on the FFL and the price I paid.

then found out it only comes with a 10 round magazine (vs 15 rd mag for 92FS).

new factory beretta 15rnd mags are under $20 at CDNN. elite mags with rubber base pad are only 20. used factory mags can be found for around 15-18 shipped on the beretta forum.

I have a beretta fs. For what it's worth I would LOVE to be able to change out the front site. It's too thin. There is a lot of play on each side. It doesn't fill the view thru the rear site well at all. I really don't care about the rail that much but it's nice to have the option. As for the mags? I buy more mags anyway so it coming with the 10 rounder doesn't bother me since I'll be buying a few more 15 rounders anyway. I say go with the A1

I have a beretta fs. For what it's worth I would LOVE to be able to change out the front site. It's too thin. There is a lot of play on each side. It doesn't fill the view thru the rear site well at all. I really don't care about the rail that much but it's nice to have the option. As for the mags? I buy more mags anyway so it coming with the 10 rounder doesn't bother me since I'll be buying a few more 15 rounders anyway. I say go with the A1

Good info, thanks !

NJdiverTony, thanks for all that helpful info. I'm seriously considering acquiring a Beretta, and I wasn't sure whether to go with the FS or the A1. Given your glowing recommendation, I'm continuing to lean toward the latter.

I'm with you ! :-)

OK, waiting so far since March 1 for my FID/purchase permit to come back. As they say, any day now .... :-(

Anyway, this waiting time has allowed me to do research, after research. Read blog after blog. Analyze needs vs wants.

I've now narrowed it down to the Beretta 92A1, since just like the 92FS but also includes a few extra goodies that Beretta felt they wanted to add (light rail, removable front sight, internal recoil buffer, etc).....all of this for about $40 more !!

The wait goes on though.....

OK, waiting so far since March 1 for my FID/purchase permit to come back. As they say, any day now .... :-(

Anyway, this waiting time has allowed me to do research, after research. Read blog after blog. Analyze needs vs wants.

I've now narrowed it down to the Beretta 92A1, since just like the 92FS but also includes a few extra goodies that Beretta felt they wanted to add (light rail, removable front sight, internal recoil buffer, etc).....all of this for about $40 more !!

The wait goes on though.....

The removable front sight is worth the 40 alone in my eyes. Plus I think you get 3 mags with it?

The removable front sight is worth the 40 alone in my eyes. Plus I think you get 3 mags with it?

Yes, you are correct....comes with 3 mags. I believe they are teflon coated (new). Also, forgot about the new captive recoil spring assembly....makes taking it apart and putting together that much easier.

From the Beretta site:

New for 2010, the Model 92A1 and 96A1 represent Beretta’s evolution of the world famous 92FS pistol.

Combining the best elements of the 92FS and the 90-Two,these pistols feature:

A. Higher capacity magazines: 17 rounds in 9mm. Completely interchangeable with other 92 family magazines. THREE magazines included per pistol.

B. Removable front sight: Allows the user to easily replace a damaged sight or replace it with an accessory sight.

C. Accessory rail: The frame of the A1’s have an integral MIL-STD-1913 rail for rapid attachment of tactical lights and laser aiming devices.

D. Internal recoil buffer: Increases service life by reducing stress on the receiver created by the more powerful .40 S&W caliber ammunition.

E. Captive recoil spring assembly: The single-piece design simplifies the assembly and disassembly process and minimizes the possibility of spring loss.

F. Rounded trigger guard: Updated styling to conform with current pistol gripping practices.

SWEET !!! Can't wait to get !!!