Tom-NJ2AS

Dicks Stackon 19 gun safe

I am currently looking for a safe myself. I passed on the idea of this one because it is not waterproof. i am going to put my safe in the basement. The basement sometimes floods a little and while I am going to put the safe on risers a waterproof safe will lock the moisture out along with the water if it ever can reach it.

It seems that if you aren't buying a gun safe that weighs-in at least 2000lbs people think they're junk.

If you are trying to prevent them from being stolen, then maybe some of those people are correct. I have watched a few videos of people breaking into safes.

I need one to prevent my kids from getting to the guns and ammo, not for protection from a burgular. My dog is there for that. If they get past him and the alarm system and my neighbors don't call the police then I have a problem. My local police respond within a minute, no kidding! Small town and we live 20 ft from each other.

It seems that if you aren't buying a gun safe that weighs-in at least 2000lbs people think they're junk.

If you are trying to prevent them from being stolen, then maybe some of those people are correct. I have watched a few videos of people breaking into safes.

I need one to prevent my kids from getting to the guns and ammo, not for protection from a burgular. My dog is there for that. If they get past him and the alarm system and my neighbors don't call the police then I have a problem. My local police respond within a minute, no kidding! Small town and we live 20 ft from each other.

I would recommend fire-rated unless you have insurance covering the guns. Otherwise I would definitely recommend whatever is cheap and keeps the guns away from your kids.

I just picked this up last week, I think its great for the price. I think it would be a little tight trying to get up to 19 guns in the safe. They give you extra hardware to make room for scoped guns, but it fills in quick. The Shelves are ok, although the clips that hold them up look cheap. I wouldn't trust too much weight on them if you are thinking about putting in a lot of ammo, I had some friends give out. All said and done, I got it for 279.99 out the door, it might not be fire resistant, but it will keep burglars out, and I don't have to worry about guns being all over the place.

I just picked this up last week, I think its great for the price. I think it would be a little tight trying to get up to 19 guns in the safe. They give you extra hardware to make room for scoped guns, but it fills in quick. The Shelves are ok, although the clips that hold them up look cheap. I wouldn't trust too much weight on them if you are thinking about putting in a lot of ammo, I had some friends give out. All said and done, I got it for 279.99 out the door, it might not be fire resistant, but it will keep burglars out, and I don't have to worry about guns being all over the place.

It won't keep burglars out. It might keep crackheads out due to lack of a $100 Saws-All or lack of motivation and a pry-bar.

Don't store your hammer or axe next to it.

It won't keep burglars out. It might keep crackheads out due to lack of a $100 Saws-All or lack of motivation and a pry-bar.

Don't store your hammer or axe next to it.

I am sure if they have enough time, someone would be able to. I tried to put out of the way and hidden. And also bolted it to the wall so it cant be easily moved. Its better than a bunch of rifles in hard cases all over the place.

I am sure if they have enough time, someone would be able to. I tried to put out of the way and hidden. And also bolted it to the wall so it cant be easily moved. Its better than a bunch of rifles in hard cases all over the place.

There's no doubt. It was a good move to buy something. But I think you still put more faith in it than warranted. It's not a matter of enough time. If crackheads bust in your house at random, they might not get in. If you have money, or they came because you have guns, they will get through in less than 5 minutes. And I'm not talking about Angelina Jolie or parachuting Ninjas.

I'll come over with a friend and open it up in 5 minutes and I know nothing about safes. It's sheet metal, I'll just bring a K-saw and cut it open. I don't have the patience to pry it or anything. Which would probably take 10 minutes.

Again, I'm just backing up my response that it will not stop burglars. I still think it was a good purchase and your firearms are more secure because of it.

The stack on type safes are really just heavy lockers.They are good for keeping the kids out while you are home. Thats it. The funny thing is they are faster to get into if they are bolted down.That way they are not sliding all over the place. I would use them to store ammo only. If you have an expensive collection you might want to look elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies. Right now i have nothing, so it has to be better than that. I do not and most likely never will have a big collection. Probably a couple of handguns and 3-4 rifles. I just don't want the kids getting in it. I have a week to think it over. I stopped by dicks yesterday and although i am sure i can pry the corners up, you would definitely have to saw it open. Prying will only lift the corners up. Anyone else please feel free to add anything.

I've been looking at safes for months now, and decided to go with the 14gun stack on cabinet.

Reason being, I couldn't find anything lightweight enough, and still be of quality.

Plus, neither I nor any of my friends have a truck and moving equipment, on top of having to lug it up three flights of stairs, and to have a delivery company do it, added a bunch of money onto it.

So as an apt dweller, it was perfect. Was able to hussle it up, and into my place without a bunch of nosey neighbors wondering what the hell was going on.

I have a little stack on safe. Am I expecting it to be burglary resistant? Nope. It wouldn't take much to get into it. But it is better then nothing. I got one so nobody could just walk in, and walk out with a firearm case when nobody is looking (which happened to me). It would be a little more difficult trying to walk out with a big locker without anyone noticing!

It's a great safe for someone on a budget. No fire proofing or water resistance as you already know. If a burgler is showing up with tools to get in your gun safe you probably have other problems.

I would look into the centurion safe from lowes. It's a little more expensive at 500 bucks but I believe you get fire rating and water proof into the mix as well.

But for what it sounds like you want to do the stack on is just fine.

M

I would look into the centurion safe from lowes. It's a little more expensive at 500 bucks but I believe you get fire rating and water proof into the mix as well.

But for what it sounds like you want to do the stack on is just fine.

M

Stack-on has the same available options at the same increase in price. I have the 10gun stack-on pick it up for 200 bucks, I have it loaded with ammo guns and gear, probably weighs close to 900lb's. No one will be able to pry it open unless there using the jaws of life, cutting it open would be the same with any safe just need the right tool for the job. Burglars will be there to snatch and grab, they plan on spending no more then 5mins in the house to begin with let alone spending that time on trying to get one item open. The biggest problem with the safe is getting it somewhere bolted and having enough weight in it to keep them from walking away with the whole safe.

The safe itself is very well built, i have over 1000rds of 9mm + 2 pistols and 2 mags sitting on the top shelf and it doesnt even bow. The dial is smooth and so is the locking mech. it also looks great.

I have the 10gun Stack on, Cabela's had them on sale for $150 and couldn't resist.

If you want a low-end safe to keep guns away frm your kids and out of sight, go with a Stack on...they work great and I like mine.

If you want something super heavy duty, thick gauge steel, fire/water resistant, and would take some time to get open by a pro burglar, then look at something else.