bulpup

Dick's, East Hanover

And no more ammo either. The department is gone.

Of course a store is allowed to make their own decisions, but it pisses me off that I got there and see the area boarded up for remodeling and a sales guy ask me if he can help me. I ask "is it possible I can get some .22LR ammunition?" and the guy acts like I am some kind of weirdo for asking. He tells me I am "able to go to our Rockaway store and buy what ever you need."

So it turns out that whole deparment is gone except for the fihing equipment.

Dicks will be relieving themselves of all ammo sales in this state by the end of the month. They will also be relieving themselves of all firearm sales in this state, and surrendering their FFLs to the NJSP and ATF by mid summer. Too much bs paperwork for their 18-21 yr. olds to continually get straight every time they open the cabinet....You can thank the Trenton Gestapo for running all the major retailers out of the firearm business in this state. Anyone who thinks this was not the original goal or intention of NJ gun control laws needs to wake up now, if it's not already too late.

• Like 2

I am not surprised. What was surprising to me was that there was a large chain store actually wiling to sell firearms/ammo in this state. Once they made less money than it was worth, they decided to shut them (that part) down. Remember that many Dick's stores in NJ were Guylans at one time also, once taken over by Dick's, they became more subject to Big Corporate decision making based on numbers alone. Probably since firearms and ammo sales are down since the Obama panic of 2009, there is too much overhead involved in maintaining FFLs in NJ, vice the returns. Yes, it is intentional by design in NJ.

The rest of the stuff in their stores is crap, mostly cheap chinese junk. The running section is overpriced garbage. Now they can dedicate the former "Lodge" spaces to selling cheap NY Yankees ( or Mets or Jet/Giants, whatever apparel to suckers. I really don't care if they survive or not.

Dick's does not want to hire anyone over minimum wage. You can only hire 18-21 year olds that really don't care about their job because they know they are not going to stay there. They should have 1 dedicated full time person for firearms per shift. Of course then they have to pay benefits and such so that will never happen.

Where did you get this information JQP?

Took my NRA pistol instructor class on Friday and was given this info by the instructor. Don't think he would BS the entire class on this as it only hurts us, and everyone else. Plus, remember when Sports Authority use to sell guns and ammo, including handguns?? I purchased a couple firearms from them back then. Then one day I went in and poof, all firearm related stuff was gone. I would imagine the same scenario would apply to Dicks. Rather than well stuff off, they will simply ship it out to their other stores in the free states. There will be no promoting/advertising the fact, just one day everything will be gone. Nice, huh?

Dick's does not want to hire anyone over minimum wage. You can only hire 18-21 year olds that really don't care about their job because they know they are not going to stay there. They should have 1 dedicated full time person for firearms per shift. Of course then they have to pay benefits and such so that will never happen.

The problem is also that it takes 2-3 months to get a pink card. By the time they get someone approved to sell guns and ammo they quit to take a better job.

Everytime I have bought ammo from the Dicks in Burlington the same middle-aged man was working back there, so not sure about that whole theory of yours.

This was a bit of a concern for me... so I emailed them and asked. This was the response I got:

Thank you for contacting DICK'S Sporting Goods.

It is always our goal to ensure our customer’s satisfaction by offering quality brand products, store services and the best customer care to all of our valued customers. We appreciate your inquiry. As of now there are no plans to remove firearms from the state of NJ. We apologize for any mis-guidance you may have received. Your feedback provides us with the opportunity to review our customer's concerns so that any necessary improvements can be made for the future ensuring that our customers have a great experience when they enter our stores.

We truly appreciate your time and we value your patronage.

Thank you and best regards,

Daryl

Customer Service Representative

I bought some handgun ammo at the Rockaway Dick's last week, and the counterman explained to me that once a pistol ammo log sheet is full, he has to put it in a plastic see through sleeve in his loose leaf binder. The state police told him he has to do this to keep his records neat. :rolleyes: I kind of felt sorry for the poor guy.

This was a bit of a concern for me... so I emailed them and asked. This was the response I got:

Thank you for contacting DICK'S Sporting Goods.

It is always our goal to ensure our customer’s satisfaction by offering quality brand products, store services and the best customer care to all of our valued customers. We appreciate your inquiry. As of now there are no plans to remove firearms from the state of NJ. We apologize for any mis-guidance you may have received. Your feedback provides us with the opportunity to review our customer's concerns so that any necessary improvements can be made for the future ensuring that our customers have a great experience when they enter our stores.

We truly appreciate your time and we value your patronage.

Thank you and best regards,

Daryl

Customer Service Representative

So I stand corrected. However it still would not surprise me if they did cease sales of firearms in NJ given all the BS they have to go through to do it, it's amazing ANYONE is willing to sell them here.

So I stand corrected. However it still would not surprise me if they did cease sales of firearms in NJ given all the BS they have to go through to do it, it's amazing ANYONE is willing to sell them here.

I can't blame you. It's a plausible possibility. That department can only cater to 12% of the New Jersey demographic. That isn't necessarily the best business model. But if it wasn't profitable, they wouldn't be doing it.

Funny thing is that I've met people who had no idea the Lodge even sold guns.

Capitalism. If they can't make money, then they're absolutely allowed to cut their losses and discontinue sale.

I had a less than pleasant experience at the E. Hanover branch. I went in with the intention of buying some 5.56,and .45 ACP. The guy that was behind the counter clearly acted like I was inconveniencing him, as I asked about prices, manufacturers, etc. I mean he was really starting to get hot under the collar. After tormenting him for about five minutes, I walked away with a box of 5.56(250 count), and a 100 rounds of .45 ACP. Boy was I getting dirty looks from the Mothers Of America on the cashier's line.

Fast forward 8 months, and I see a branch is opening up in Paramus; not too far from where I live. I must have called SIX times to find out who the hiring manager was in hunting and fishing, because I was trying to get a part time job. Finally some dimwitted kid answered the phone, and when I asked him the manager's name, he said: "Mike", I think. I asked if Mike had a last name, and the kid responded: "I don't really know the last names." I said: "You don't know your boss's last name?" He goes: "Uh-uh." (very professional.) So I asked him: "Do you know your last name?" Then I hung up. Screw it,I'll only go there for the golf selection.