Sign in to follow this  
almiz111

Zeroing the AK

This is AK specific so I feel it belongs here not in optics or rifles.

I'm guessing I'll get a bunch of answers some of which I will understand. LOL.

Say I zero with iron at 25 and get typical ballistics 25/0, 100/+4?, 200/0. All is wonderful. If those are not typical then what is???

Now I add a scope. Where should I zero - 25, 100?? Objective is to hit approx. 8 inch target from 25 to 200 with no hold over/under.

Also want to understand relation of scope height above bore to resulting ballistics.

Thanks you all.

I am no ballistics expert but when Glen was explaining things to me you need a lot of data about the actual round... weight.. ballistic coefficient.. etc... my red dot on AK is set to 100 yards.. it is close enough to provide COM hits 0 - 100 pretty easily... from 150-200 it gets harder.. but that is a red dot with no magnification..

Here you go.

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator

Input all your data into that and set it how you would like. You put in your 0 distance and it will tell you drop (or raise) at the distances you choose. To find your BC (ballistic coeffecient) just google your particular round/bullet + BC or ballistic coeffecient and you will probably find it. You can also input the variable of sight/scope height.

I just threw some quick numbers together, wolf 122 grain HP in 7.62x39 with a 25 yard 0 will yeild you 100 yards +2.1", 200 yards is -2.2"

using a BC of 0.2573 and 2,444 for velocity

• Like 2

Here you go.

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator

Input all your data into that and set it how you would like. You put in your 0 distance and it will tell you drop (or raise) at the distances you choose. To find your BC (ballistic coeffecient) just google your particular round/bullet + BC or ballistic coeffecient and you will probably find it. You can also input the variable of sight/scope height.

I just threw some quick numbers together, wolf 122 grain HP in 7.62x39 with a 25 yard 0 will yeild you 100 yards +2.1", 200 yards is -2.2"

using a BC of 0.2573 and 2,444 for velocity

Thanks Glen and Vlad. That Hornady site looks good. In the meanwhile I also found Spot On at Nikon Hunting and also a ballistics calc. at the Winchester site. What I seem to be discovering is that scope height makes a big difference in where the bullet hits.