StriderTB

Picked up the rest of my Dad's gun collection

These were intended to go to me after he passed away in 2002, but at the time I was living in NYC, so I waited until I was settled in and owned my own house. Finally picked them up on Saturday and spent all day Sunday cleaning. Most were in fine shape and needed nothing other than a quick wipedown.

Remington 700 ADL Synthetic in .270 with a 3-9x Weaver CV9 scope

Winchester Model 70 Ranger in .270 with a jeweled bolt

Winchester Model 120 Ranger 12ga pump w/ 28" vented barrel

Ithaca Flues Field Grade side by side 12ga from 1915

Harrington & Richardson Topper 88 single shot .410

Savage Arms Revelation Model 135A tube feed semi .22lr with a Bear(?) 1.75-5x20 scope

Remington Model 121 Fieldmaster pump action .22lr

I also have his old steel cabinet, because mine was just about full. I was also able to find manuals and instructions on taking down everything except the Savage rimfire. Seems that the Revelation 135 is essentially the same as the Savage 187, but I just got exhausted trying to find clear instructions on how to remove the bolt. I was able to get the barreled action out of the stock and get the action spring and firing pin out, but I couldn't get the bolt to release from the back. If anyone has experience with one of those, I'd love some advice.

Ithaca Flues Field Grade side by side 12ga from 1915

IMG_1476.jpg

Now I need to stock up on some new calibers. :)

That's a really nice looking Flues grade. No buttered screws or smashed pins and a top lever that's right of center. If you've ascertained the build was 1915, you should check the chamber lengths on your Flues grade. Early Flues grades and the year indicate your gun would have 2 1/2" chambers. Flues production ceased in 1926 and at best, the longest any Flues chamberings found in 12, 16 or 20 ga. would have been 2 9/16" chambers at most. Ithaca's move to the stronger NID model frame also came with 2 3/4" size chambers. So don't shoot 2 3/4" shells in your gun. Your Flues is perfectly acceptable to use 2 1/2" shells, and if you handload, make loads with pressures no more than 8,000-9,000psi. One-ounce loads are more than adequate for game or clay targets.

Yeah, I did a lot of reading about the Flues last night, mainly because I didn't know how to separate the barrels from the receiver. Then I found out it's as simple as pulling the hand guard straight down.

I do know that my Dad fired it before, and I want to say it was with 2 3/4" shells, but it was so long ago that I can't really remember.

Yeah, I did a lot of reading about the Flues last night, mainly because I didn't know how to separate the barrels from the receiver. Then I found out it's as simple as pulling the hand guard straight down.

I do know that my Dad fired it before, and I want to say it was with 2 3/4" shells, but it was so long ago that I can't really remember.

The forend simply snaps in place.

It's not uncommon for folks to shoot 2 3/4" shells in short chambered guns. They'll chamber fine, but pressures peak when they are fired. As long as they are not baby-magnums, you could get away with this. But, a steady diet will cause problems over time. Watching a rib separate off the barrel or cracking the frame due to heavy loads will result in a repair more expensive than the shotgun itself. A Flues' only weakness is its strength. It's strengths are in fluid handling and light weight afield. Unless you know the full provenance of the gun, feed it a steady diet of low pressure rounds. In doubles I have that date 1927 and earlier I will shoot only 2 1/2" shells. Your Flues will last as long as intended if you keep pressures low. Best of luck with it and enjoy your Dad's shotgun.