Babaganoosh

What do you use on Mags

I just noticed that some of my Beretta mags have a little rust on them. Outside only. So I will be taking them apart and doing a thorough cleaning.

Now I know not to use oil inside the mags. I have used powdered graphite and so far it has worked fine. However what has everyone else out there been using?

Also what do you guys use on the outside of steel mags to prevent rust?

I've got some Breakfree CLP. Would that work or would it stay too oily?

Now I know not to use oil inside the mags. I have used powdered graphite and so far it has worked fine. However what has everyone else out there been using?

Breakfree can be used inside and outside magazines. I have been doing it for at least 20+ years and have been using whatever lube I had at hand (oil, LSA, etc) to clean and lube mags for over 40 years. Whatever you use for a gun lubricant can be used anywhere on a magazine, you just don 't use a lot.

After you take the magazine apart take a small brush (like a flux brush, cosmetic brush, small paintbrush, etc) and paint a few drops of lube inside and outside the magazine tube. If there is a lot of crude in tha magazine you need to use a solvent to clean it first. Rusty spots are normal wear and tear. Clean with lube and a bore brush, steel wool, etc. Brush lube on the mag spring, follower, and floor plate. Wipe everything down well, nothing should be drippy.

You would have to put a lot of lube in a magazine to effect the ammo. If lube gets all over a round a more serious event would be extreme overpressure as the cartridge case would be unable to grip on the chamber walls.

Use a light coat of your favorite oil. I remove rust spots with steel wool moist with CLP. Oil in mags is not that much of an issue unless you soak them and now you just pick up more dirt. As a side note I clean my mags when I can hear sand/rock moving inside them, the outside when it gets rusty.