Duppie

The Wife's first visit to the range.

I will be taking my beautiful bride to the range soon and need some direction. I recommended that she take a NRA sanctioned safety course but she balked and wants me to run her through the basics.It has only been 6 months since I took similar courses myself and while I am confident I remembered and practice safe firearm handling, I am not as confident as to the teaching of said practices.

It's akin to when I kept stealing the old man's car at 14 so he decided to teach me to drive and nearly browbeat me into the floorboards, so finally said "take the car but don't call me from prison or the clinic".I don't want to turn into my father so any hints would be appreciated.

It is a touchy topic. I've introduced lots of people to shooting but I have a hard time helping my wife shoot better. I'm not the only one, it is a VERY common phenomenon. I think your best bet is to make a double date out of it, with another friend/buddy and his/her spouse. This allows you to step back and have someone else provide some input. Of course if such a person is not available, she isn't willing, etc then go ahead and take her out yourself. It is much better that she learns to shoot and learns basic gun safety from someone who new then not at all.

The problem with spouses is that if you give them direction, they'll start to resent it. Some woman I know are like that, not all but some certainly and this is where you're going to run into trouble. If she's an open book, you'll be fine. If she's not used to taking direction from you, it's not going to end well.

The other thing I've found, is that the moment you hand a newbie a gun, within 30 seconds, they will have managed to point it at you. Your legs, your feet, sweeping it past you, etc. The next thing that happens is their trigger finger goes inside of the trigger guard. It's like there's a mini black hole there sucking the finger in. My advice, hand a cleared gun to her first. Don't let her load it until she can pick it with her finger off the trigger and aimed in a safe direction.

The problem with spouses is that if you give them direction, they'll start to resent it. Some woman I know are like that, not all but some certainly and this is where you're going to run into trouble. If she's an open book, you'll be fine. If she's not used to taking direction from you, it's not going to end well.

The other thing I've found, is that the moment you hand a newbie a gun, within 30 seconds, they will have managed to point it at you. Your legs, your feet, sweeping it past you, etc. The next thing that happens is their trigger finger goes inside of the trigger guard. It's like there's a mini black hole there sucking the finger in. My advice, hand a cleared gun to her first. Don't let her load it until she can pick it with her finger off the trigger and aimed in a safe direction.

I'm lucky in the fact that she can take directions well and is enthusiastic, she's been around firearms most of her life{Father was a fighter pilot and gun enthusiast} but never showed an interest until now.

I've envisioned a similar scenario with taking my GF and her kids to the range (at different times, because I think it would be tough to manage that many newbies). (BTW, my GF is really negative on guns. I couldn't even get her to join me as a special birthday request a couple of weeks ago. Luckily, I was able to think up a different birthday request.) :icon_mrgreen:

Anyway, when the day comes, I plan to teach them the three NRA safety rules. (Really no need to worry about what's beyond one's target at the range.) I think I would discuss the rules on the trip there, then demonstrate them once we arrive. After that, I would just show them some of the basics, as I understand them, and let them fire away. I wouldn't be concerned about their accuracy unless they were. I would just let them enjoy the experience, and if they decide they want to pursue it further, then they could take NRA or GFH classes.

• Like 1

I will be taking my beautiful bride to the range soon and need some direction. I recommended that she take a NRA sanctioned safety course but she balked and wants me to run her through the basics.It has only been 6 months since I took similar courses myself and while I am confident I remembered and practice safe firearm handling, I am not as confident as to the teaching of said practices.

It's akin to when I kept stealing the old man's car at 14 so he decided to teach me to drive and nearly browbeat me into the floorboards, so finally said "take the car but don't call me from prison or the clinic".I don't want to turn into my father so any hints would be appreciated.

I'd kinda push for a least a first steps course.

I'm pretty sure Gun For Hire runs a "Ladies night" introduction to shooting. Maybe she'd be more ammenable to that.

Have her check out ladies day at cherry ridge range. They teach all the basics and don't charge. Look into that. And if not what I did with the gf was start off the 22 rifles. She was and is still very cautious as to where she points firearms. So I started off with 22 rifles then 22 pistol then centerfire rifle then pistol. she was comfortable with that and it seemed she learned fairly quickly. Starting with the 22 built her confidence a bit and made her more comfortable.

You don't have to be at a range to teach safe handling. Do that first then worry about aiming when you get there.

Look for a dvd on safe practices. I have a $20 airsoft 1911 i got at Dick's that would be great for that. I am sure she doesn't want to shoot you so she is likely to pay atention. Make it a learning experience for both of you.

Thank you Gentlemen, I have started my version of dry runs obviously with an unloaded pistol and using the basic principals I picked in classes and I just may pull this off.... then off to classes for her.

What range are you going to? The RO may be able to help too.

Shore Shot in Lakewood,I would love to be able to shoot up north and then take her to the Ironbound section to her favorite Portuguese Restaurant to celebrate but there's that reasonable stop while transporting firearms thing again.

Being you took the first step pistol class already you should have the book, I would see if she would like to go over that with you. If she is receptive to that you ahead of the game. After that you can bring her to the range and practice safe handling and being you said you are going to SS, the RO's there are great in helping out, I know Phil is just great and being she is female, I'd bet he'd be more than willing to help you out. :)

Also if you didn't go for your CCW, you can both go for the same class that also include the CCW requirements and not waste you money on just another class that you already took or similar to that one you already did.

Harry

Shore Shot in Lakewood,I would love to be able to shoot up north and then take her to the Ironbound section to her favorite Portuguese Restaurant to celebrate but there's that reasonable stop while transporting firearms thing again.

Duppie when you go to shore shot let the ro know its your wifes first time shooting and they will help her out .

Well today was the day and she took to it like a duck to water and now wants to take the courses and improve her groups also, We were there at about midday and right from the get go she was impressed with the range and just how many families,couples and Ladies were shooting .

I kept it casual and just let her get a feel for both guns at 5 then 7 yards while still stressing the safety aspect and used Malsua's analogy of the mini black hole, Thanks Gentlemen for all the direction and advice.