If it has the chrysanthemum, the value will likely be WAY higher, since the Japanese were ordered to remove them in the event that the weapon is captured.

I would not say "way" higher, but it will be higher.

Post more pics to get specifics.

It will depend on overall condition and other features, such as, is the rifle complete, date of manufacture (ie, pre war? last ditch?)

Look at the receiver.

Type 38 will have 2 different symbols one on top of the other.

Type 99 will have 3 symbols next to each other and the first 2 (left to right) will be the same. The side of the receiver will have other markings telling you the arsenal where it was built and the serial number so you can narrow down the year.

Does the rear sight have 2 leafs that fold to the sides? These are aircraft sights and are a little more rare on the arisaka's. Does it have import marks? Probably not if the mum is still intact.

Last ditch Arisaka's were made at the end of the war and are minimalist. Depending on the year and arsenal they may have a fixed rear sight, no steel but plate, rough tooling marks, rough woodwork and minimal metal parts. The last ditch rifles are the least valuable and had a reputation for being unsafe (I don't know if the reputation was deserved or not). I have an arisaka book so if you post pics of the markings I can translate for you.

Check with someone, it wasn't uncommor for people to convert the Arisaka's to 30-06.

Let us know about it.

Thanks guys! I'll let my buddy know. Any source for ammo?

I'm pretty sure in the C&R section someone asked that. Answers ranged from reloading 30-06s with some modifications, to some people that sell 7.7mm.

Here.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22382-77-jap-ammo/page__p__302831__hl__%2Barisaka+%2Bammo__fromsearch__1#entry302831

Matt, that is not too much of a steal. Arisakas top out at around 300 to 400.

Although, they are the strongest receivers out of all the WW2 type rifles. Problem is ammo...

for 7.7, you can resize a 7.5 french case I believe.

I have a last ditch type 99, or is it 38? and never been shot, unissued. Have not taken it to the range.

i've seen arisaka's go for twice that if you have the right one

If you have the right one. A pre or early war, excellent condition, no import marks, with all the original accessories can fetch 7-800 or more but- these are rare. Most Arisakas that you will find are good for 100-400 depending.

If you have the right one. A pre or early war, excellent condition, no import marks, with all the original accessories can fetch 7-800 or more but- these are rare. Most Arisakas that you will find are good for 100-400 depending.

My former computer graphics teacher has two that her father captured in the war. He was a colonel or something, but she wanted 2,000 for them. Which even then I thought was a lot, I would have picked them up if they'd been cheaper, but if the ammo is a pain to get, then it's really not worth it in my opinion.

Matt, that is not too much of a steal. Arisakas top out at around 300 to 400.

Although, they are the strongest receivers out of all the WW2 type rifles. Problem is ammo...

for 7.7, you can resize a 7.5 french case I believe.

I have a last ditch type 99, or is it 38? and never been shot, unissued. Have not taken it to the range.

7.7 Jap ammo has started surfacing at gun shows, I think it's being made by PPU. I would grab it while it's out there since they will probably do only limited runs of it. After that you can reload it.

I cant find the 7.7 ammo anywhere. Everywhere I try says they are waiting for it to get back in stock. I have been itching to shoot mine, so if anyone comes across any please share where.

I have two 20 rnd. boxes, Norma 7.7 Jap 180 gr. semi-point sitting in my closet. Really nice stuff. I'll let it go for less than retail - If anyone is interested, PM me.

I've been having a hard time ID-ing my rifle as well but have a few good sites for you that may help... these three worked well for me.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/arisaka/index.asp

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

http://fingolfen.blogspot.com/2009/01/last-ditch-arisaka.html