I have about a pound of ground deer left that we want to just make some simple burgers with.. got any recommendations?

I don't have much experience with deer meat but quite a lot with Moose and Caribou, the main concerns is fat content and gaminess. For burgers I mix 2 parts of moose/caribou with 1 part pork to introduce a fat content largely missing in the former. Add 1 whole egg as a binder and season generously with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper {Maggi seasoning,lemon pepper,rendered bacon,caramelized onions,anchovies all add to the "umami" factor} and grill over charcoal to an internal temp of 135/140 f for median rare. Enjoy.

I just make mine with salt and pepper. Shape into balls then press them out into patties. But thats for ground beef. The only time I've worked with ground venison was when I made Tacos with it.

Average ground beef is 80/20 meat to fat content so has enough fat solubles remaining during cooking in order to keep the burgers together, Game however is very lean and requires some kind of binder or fat in order to give some structural integrity and taste, so ground pork is the easiest way to add that element. Aggressive seasoning is another way to add flavor if the meat is not hung or aged and a acidic marinade{Wine,beer,bourbon,seasoned vinegars,lemon or lime based brine's} will work also if time is of the essence.

maybe its just me, but I find that venison tastes the best au natural without anything added to it. Maybe some slight salt and pepper and thats it

do you hang your game? or cook fresh?and do you typically grind for burgers?

do you hang your game? or cook fresh?and do you typically grind for burgers?

I'm a new hunter but no I don't hang my deer meat. Usually frozen right after we butcher it at home and then defrosted when ready to use it.

Never ground before, my second deer I got this year I had a butcher do so I got some chopmeat from the deer so I'm going to see how it turns out. I'll probably add like 25% pork to the venison and be good for burgers

I'm a new hunter but no I don't hang my deer meat. Usually frozen right after we butcher it at home and then defrosted when ready to use it.

Never ground before, my second deer I got this year I had a butcher do so I got some chopmeat from the deer so I'm going to see how it turns out. I'll probably add like 25% pork to the venison and be good for burgers

I too am new to game here and only have experience with wild game meat in Scandinavia where it is hung in cold storage for anywhere from 1 to 3 days after dressing in order for the meat to "rest" and tenderize. Moose meat is ground with the fat from "hump" to add texture and taste and caribou with pork to do the same, but the loins and steaks are marinated in wine or aquavit to tenderize and then grilled over wood or charcoal.

everyone i've ever talked to said don't hang your meet.

All your doing is letting the blood drain out and that's what makes the meat tender an juicy. I've listened to that and never had bad tasting deer meat. All the people that have ever given me deer meat in the past said they did the same thing and it tasted delicious

All your doing is letting the blood drain out and that's what makes the meat tender an juicy. I've listened to that and never had bad tasting deer meat. All the people that have ever given me deer meat in the past said they did the same thing and it tasted delicious

I've done both without noticing any change in flavor.

i like a little salt and pepper with my deer hambuger no pork fat or anything else . just very lean hambuger. oh not sure you guys know this but deer fat does not taste very good at all . it took my wife to teach me this . i would grind the fat and meat boy did she have a fit .so taste test boy she was right . ps she helps cut most of the meat so not a bad deal .

It's can be messy to cook on the grill, but if you like things a little spicy, try dicing up some onions, Jalapeños, and either diced cheddar or jalapeño cheese and mix it all into the meat before you make your patties. A little salt and pepper and your good to go.

Harry

thanks for all the suggestions and insight.. we got kind of short on time so my fiance just made them like any other burger.. but put some gorgonzola cheese in the middle prior to cooking it.. they were good.. might have been JUST deer as I could see the need to add a little fat to get them a little more juicy but they were good none the less..

"Deer should be hung to age at a temperature just above freezing, and never above 37 degrees Fahrenheit. Ideally, it should hang for 10 days between 33 and 36 degrees." I take mine to a butcher, but it's never been there more than 5 days.

The point of hanging a deer out for a couple of days was to allow the cells to break down and tenderize the meat. Freezing it accomplishes the same thing much more conveniently and there shouldn't be a huge difference in taste between the two methods, all other things being equal. Not properly draining the blood WILL affect the taste and perceived "gaminess" of the meat. Since venison is so lean, most game butchers will mix ground venison with pork or beef suet (raw fat), not meat, to help keep it together while it cooks and to keep it from drying out.

+1

I make a huge batch on the weekend and eat it all week long.

Beans or no beans, whole peppers or chili powder,cumin or no cumin? Recipe?

Beans or no beans, whole peppers or chili powder,cumin or no cumin? Recipe?

My wife will only eat it if I use her recipe. It might not meet International Chili Society standards, but it gets the job done:

olive oil

1lb of ground venison

salt & black pepper to taste

diced onions

diced green peppers

cubed old tomatoes that are on the verge of growing mold

canned tomato sauce

chilli powder

cayenne pepper to taste

can of small red beans (or dried beans that have been soaked)

Heat a big enameled cast iron pot over a medium flame. Season venison with salt and black pepper. Add a little olive oil to the heated pot. Brown meat. Remove meat from pot with a slotted spoon and set aside. Soften onions in meat drippings (add olive oil as necessary)until translucent. Add remaining vegetables, spices, tomato sauce and meat back into pot and cook over low heat for 45 min. Add beans for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking time. Enjoy with some hot corn bread and a cold beer.