Are there written laws stating that wearing purple sneakers is legal? No. Is wearing purple sneakers legal? Yes. My point is, laws aren't made to tell you what is LEGAL, laws are made to tell you what is ILLEGAL. If there is no law on the books that say you CANNOT do something, or there is no written penalty for that act, then you should not be charged with a crime for that act.

I agree with you 100%

unfortunately we live in NJ where it is written that gun ownership is illegal, unless it is written to be legal under certain conditions. Not being able to find anything that exempts a company in NJ to own a firearm I can say that I am unable to find anything that makes it legal.

Fix what you wrote at the end for you, since I am pretty sure the people in this state wrongfully arrested for having guns when they did not provide the officer with a FPID card would argue that you cannot be charged. Isn't NJ wonderful!

In Nj a corporation cannot own guns. Unless you are an FFL.

How can this be?

Many security companies own guns, dozens of them, which their employees check in and out daily for use during the work day. The gun belongs to the company, doesn't it? Far as I know, Garda, Dunbar, Loomis, and Brinks all have guns available for employees who have carry permits, but not purchase permits, to carry during work. In fact, most of their carry permits are even issued to them with the company gun's make/model/serial on the back of their permit.

Also, the companies own guns which they leave at the Bullet Hole for you guys to have them use during qualifications. Garda and Dunbar both come to mind.

I am curious to understand how this situation works. For all these major companies to be doing this, there must be some sort of provision/exemption/whatever for companies to own guns in NJ.

As I see it, the only surefire way to be sure that you're not breaking any laws is to use one of 3 options.

1) Use a flamethrower on the seagulls.

2)Use a catapault, bonus cool points if you load it with a bunch of smaller rocks that are effectively like shot.

3) Use the same strategy NJ seems to think works for home intruders. Politely ask the seagulls to leave, and ask why it is that they are on your property, in fact, I'm sure this will be the most effective solution.

How can this be?

Many security companies own guns, dozens of them, which their employees check in and out daily for use during the work day. The gun belongs to the company, doesn't it? Far as I know, Garda, Dunbar, Loomis, and Brinks all have guns available for employees who have carry permits, but not purchase permits, to carry during work. In fact, most of their carry permits are even issued to them with the company gun's make/model/serial on the back of their permit.

Also, the companies own guns which they leave at the Bullet Hole for you guys to have them use during qualifications. Garda and Dunbar both come to mind.

I am curious to understand how this situation works. For all these major companies to be doing this, there must be some sort of provision/exemption/whatever for companies to own guns in NJ.

They probably have an exemption for security companies too where they have to get special licensing or something.

How can this be?

As I understand, these employees are required to purchase their own sidearms as a condition of employment.

As I understand, these employees are required to purchase their own sidearms as a condition of employment.

I have a friend who works at an armored car company. They are not REQUIRED to purchase their own sidearms as a condition of employment. They are supplied the firearms, and the company keeps them just as The Dark Knight stated. They have the option of using their own sidearms, but they must also leave that sidearm at the station as long as that is the firearm they are carrying.

No, they are not. In fact, the majority of employees at these companies often have no interest in guns outside of work, or can't even afford to own one and shoot regularly. The company keeps a dozen and a half guns at the base for employees to use. vfj915 said it best. I also have first hand, personal experience with this, so please trust me on this one.

What we are saying is many companies in NJ own firearms for use as described above. There are also guns sitting at the Bullet Hole for employees of said company to qualify with for their permits. So somewhere, somehow, is an exemption for companies of some sort buried in NJ law for a company to own a firearm.

There are also guns sitting at the Bullet Hole for employees of said company to qualify with for their permits.

This. My friend does not work at any of the companies you listed, nor is the Bullet Hole their range.....but everything you have stated is accurate. They have one model of each pistol (one semi-auto, one revolver) that their employees can use at the range for both company paid practice, and for their qualifications.

I'd be interested to know if the personnel at these companies that allegedly own the guns they use had to fill out a purchase permit along with the carry permit. I'm betting that the gun they are issued has been legally transferred to them in paperwork via a pistol purchase permit (which is really a form of ownership transfer) or in the carry permit process as I understand the carry permits may identify specific guns they can carry along with other stipulations.

As for Bullet Hole, aren't they a FFL/dealer? In which case they are permitted to temporarily transfer any gun on their premiss for target shooting. If they left the property with a HG without going through the PP/COE process that would be an illegal transfer employee or not.

I'd be interested to know if the personnel at these companies that allegedly own the guns they use had to fill out a purchase permit along with the carry permit.

I can't say about the purchase permit, because I don't know. However they do need to apply for a carry permit through the NJSP. My friend had to go through the process, and it was a pain. It took about 8 months for them to actually approve the permit. So for 8 months he was an armored car driver without a gun :icon_rolleyes:

I guess theoretically , with a carry permit, one can carry "any handgun" or one that is stated specifically on the permit at least. There is no wording that the firearm on the permit has to be legally owned by the carrier.

Who knows, being the NJ carry permit is as rare as an albino elephant living in Antarctica.

I guess theoretically , with a carry permit, one can carry "any handgun" or one that is stated specifically on the permit at least. There is no wording that the firearm on the permit has to be legally owned by the carrier.

Who knows, being the NJ carry permit is as rare as an albino elephant living in Antarctica.

No they arent, there are tons of people working for Armored Car and Alarm companies that have them.."Necessary for Employment" is one of the things that actually WILL get the permit approved..it's the "Necessary for Protection" aspect that starts founling the process up in the Courts eye..How the Judges cant see someone in say the Diamons Business, or someone who deals with large amounts of Cash on a daily basis as "Needing" a CP is beyond me... NOT THAT i feel there should be any "Need" necessary to get a CP.

I'm not entirely sure how that works, but I do know that there are certain companies that start their employees out with one gun, and after a certain amount of time they are given another. I know of at least two companies that do this, and I don't believe they are required to get a second permit when they are issued the second firearm.

there is an exemption for armored car and security companies, they use a gun steward but they are working this out of existence also. FJC Security just purchased 75 new guns and the State made ALL of the employees pull a pistol permit. The security co. had to get a legal letter drafted for each employee stating that upon separation from the company they had 24 hours to return the firearm to them. My question was who then takes ownership? I was told they will find out when it happens! Welcome to New Jersey.