Sign in to follow this  
usnmars

lets play a game!!!!

The last classic (tube-type magazine) Winchester lever-action rifle was chambered in a unique cartridge - only rifle ever commercially chambered for this cartridge. Model of the Winchester and caliber, please.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Killed this thread, didn't I?

OK, it was produced in 1936 through 1958. Even though it was introduced prior to the Model 70, it had a higher model number. It was the favorite of Alaskan Guides and many were converted to a Wildcat called .401 Alaskan. It was a modification of the Model 1886 design and Browning recreated it in the 1980's. Originally made to shoot 150 gr, 200 gr and 250 gr bullets, by the end of its original production run, only the 200 gr bullets were offered.

Too tough?

Bueller? Bueller?

Somebody out there has to like this rifle as much as I do.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Uh, Ray....the Model 39 was a single stack. The 59 was a double stack, making it "hi-cap" by today's standards.

Ray, you are wrong! (OK to use that in your signature line)

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob is correct. The 39 was produced initially in the middle 50s as a possible replacement for the 1911. I had one I traded for...a Model 59.

Model 59 started production in 1971

Correct, although there were prototypes built for Navy Seals earlier. I don't know if you were around then but among the most fashionable guns in the 70s were the Model 29 (yeah Dirty Harry), the Model 66 4" (until they came out withe the 2 1/2", and Model 59.