I kind of agree with both of you. I agree with KpdPipes, as I have seen Serpas lock up when they have gotten little rocks stuck in them. However I have also seen someone I know, who had been training with a Serpa for years, and has very good trigger discipline, put an airsoft pellet into his leg during the stress of a force on force drill involving movement, and return fire.

To me there are just too many potential problems with the Serpa to make it a viable option.

There's a reason TR wouldnt allow Serpas in any of their courses for a long time... Like I said it worked for me for Off-duty jobs with the 1911 where concealment wasnt a fator..now I use it for USPSA, I had the drop-leg for Work use for the county response team, and i liked it, but i also ALWAYS used a lanyard. Once I went to a Light on my weapon, it was a moot point and i passed it along to another guy, and went back to my trusty old Paraclete drop holster i bought ages a go..it isnt fast, but that gun isnt coming out of it unless i want it to.

Interesting point but here's 2 things from my personal observation.

I don't have as big of hands as this guy so the release is indexed perfectly for me on the pad of my index finger.

I don't cant the holster forward at all.

I don't pull up on the gun before hitting the release either... Even when excited I don't pull up without my finger being indexed right on the release and on the frame....... so it works for me.

I am not sure i like that holster at all....

I Like the concept..i REALLY Like the security..i dont even have an issue with the placement of the release..my issue is and always has been with the design of the release and it's possibility of becoming either locked closed or open during what can be normal field conditions. As i posted I worked for a LONG time to make my high-index muscle memory..i dont even like indexing on the frame as and unconscious Sympathetic grip reaction can displace your finger down into the trigger guard. I had my ND..i wont have another.

If you don't mind, can you share what happened? I just learned quite a bit from the video, and your explanation of why you don't like the Serpa, would like to learn more.

My ND had NOTHING to do with the holster SERPA didnt even exist at that time BTW and everything to do with my own carelessness, complacency and laziness. I was distracted and not thinking, I unholstered my Defender (1911 Compact) and rather than drop the mag and unchamber, I tried to ease the hammer down. Hammer slipped from under my thumb and fired the chamber round. Luckily it went into a steel locker frame and dropped at my feet. Cost me a 3 day Suspension from work....and a whole lot of jokes at my expense for a few years.

My ND had NOTHING to do with the holster SERPA didnt even exist at that time BTW and everything to do with my own carelessness, complacency and laziness. I was distracted and not thinking, I unholstered my Defender (1911 Compact) and rather than drop the mag and unchamber, I tried to ease the hammer down. Hammer slipped from under my thumb and fired the chamber round. Luckily it went into a steel locker frame and dropped at my feet. Cost me a 3 day Suspension from work....and a whole lot of jokes at my expense for a few years.

So you had a locker pop :)

why would you try to decock it when you were gonna rack the slide anyway to unload the chamber?

Kpdpipes, I don't get it. Oh well

"Rather than" = "Instead of" Instead of dropping the mag and taking the chamber round out, I jsut tried to ease the hammer down out of laziness...as I had done a couple of hundred times before (and I was WRONG for doing so every single time)..THIS time it bit me in the a**..and i'll never, EVER do it again. I've had a big honking dent in the frame of the locker next to mine to remind me not to be lazy every day for the last 14-odd years now.

Glad everything turned out well, and that the most damage done was a little bit of joking at your expense. That's better than having an extra hole in your body.

It had been a screwed up night all around, id had to rush to Staten island, because my Girlfriend at the time had been assauted by her Ex-Husband, i had someone hold over for me for a couple of hours, so once i was sure she was ok and her kids were allright and NYPD had the Ex, I left and went to work, I was upset and distracted, and rushing to get the guy holding for me out of there. None of which was any excuse for allowing myself to cut safety corners.

My training kicked in......I called my mommy and daddy.

lol love that part.

If he had any training what so ever.... he would have called 911 first. The moron could have bled out by the time he got off the phone with mommy and daddy, if he hit his femeral artery!