BlackOps Badger

Employment Opportunity

I work for a big corporation. We were recently told about a couple job oppotunities that opened up in the Philly area. My company always looks to the inside when filling up openings, so I would pretty much get the job if I wanted it as there's not too much intrest from many other employees. Now as I understand it I would be filling the same role that I am already in, but there may be a slight pay cut, but not sure about that. My concerns are the area. I don't know the area at all. I would be in the Bustleton area I believe. Anybody know what the area is like? I guess my biggest concerns are leaving here and being stuck there if it turns out I didn't like it. There will be more opportunities for advancement since it's a bigger area than where I work now, but I live a fairly sheltered workin here in little ol' Cape May County, and have never been in the city much. Also, I friends in the Chalfont area that would put me up until I could get my own place. What's your opinion? Should I go for it?

P.S.- I do realise it's a free state but that's not really the point here, but definately a Pro for goin. :icon_mrgreen:

Well, in my opinion, it all comes down to promotions... If you know that you will be moving up much faster than in ur current area and you are single without much obligations over here >>> go for it. Unfortunately in the corporate world you gotta move up or get fired.....

And the area >>> I'm sure you will get used to it....

I work for a big corporation. We were recently told about a couple job oppotunities that opened up in the Philly area. My company always looks to the inside when filling up openings, so I would pretty much get the job if I wanted it as there's not too much intrest from many other employees. Now as I understand it I would be filling the same role that I am already in, but there may be a slight pay cut, but not sure about that. My concerns are the area. I don't know the area at all. I would be in the Bustleton area I believe. Anybody know what the area is like? I guess my biggest concerns are leaving here and being stuck there if it turns out I didn't like it. There will be more opportunities for advancement since it's a bigger area than where I work now, but I live a fairly sheltered workin here in little ol' Cape May County, and have never been in the city much. Also, I friends in the Chalfont area that would put me up until I could get my own place. What's your opinion? Should I go for it?

P.S.- I do realise it's a free state but that's not really the point here, but definately a Pro for goin. :icon_mrgreen:

Well you really have to weigh everything in it's totality. Will you be moving, or commuting. Travel time to and from work needs to be factored in in the comparison. Pay wise, you said there MAY be reduction, can you live with that, and how much more of a real opportunity for advancement is there compared to your present location.

For myself, I always factor in MY-TIME, that would be anything that takes away from my time. Time away from my family, hobbies or anything else non work related. I have seen positions that would add a decent amount to my pay but adding in an extra hour or two a day commuting, or air travel a few times a month to a few days a week were more than I wanted to do. I also have a family and a child that I like to spend time with.

I put it this way, My-Time is double what I make per hour at work, and if I don't see something that can meet or exceed that value in my eyes I pass or don't pursue it.

Now a thought in line of this forum, if it's closer to the PHL area and you are planning on moving, PA might be an option. :)

Harry

What's your opinion? Should I go for it?

Your age and current situation have to be taken into account. Since I don't know either, it's a tough call.

Generally, the only way to get significantly ahead is to change jobs. You say it may be a wage cut, well, I would negotiate that to an even. "I'll go but at the same pay rate". Now, you can compare apples to apples. If within 3 years of being there, you'll be further ahead than now, and you don't have a house and/or wife/gf anchoring you to an area, it's time to pull up stakes.

You have to weigh commute time as well. If you can live in a decent area and it's a 10 minute commute that's great...if it's an hour commute one way, it's a big deal. Not only is your time gone, but you'll be chewing through a new car every 5 years and blowing $75+ a week on gas.

You have to move out of your comfort zone to get ahead. I moved from a pretty good job in Ohio to no job in NJ but with greater opportunity. Within a month I started at a new job nearly double what I was making before. No one ever gets ahead by being safe or conservative in your choices.

On top of all that, you get to shed yourself of NJ's gun laws. That's cream on the top and frankly, self protection should not be discounted as an insignificant concern.

Good luck.

I have done service work in the city for the last 18 years.The Bustelton area isnt that bad as a whole.Gotta remember that the area can change in a few blocks in Philly,but all in all its a good area.Between Byberry Rd and Southampton Rd is probably the nicest neighborhood.The traffic at rush hour can get crazy there but I think that is everywhere anymore lol.

After thinkin about this I might just go for it. I'm 23, no kids, no wife, no house of my own. Not like I have much to lose. To answer a few questions, I would move up there. As I stated in my OP I have friends in Chalfont that I could stay with until I got my own place. Also, I did the cost of living comparison, and I hope it wasn't true because it would cut my pay almost in half. I don't know all the details on it yet anyway. When I go to work on monday I'm gonna talk to my Human Resources rep. I'll keep you guys posted.

I hope the best for you but for the sake of th future generations of Cape May County I think you should stay. Like me you are not born/bread Cape May County. The county needs fresh genes and more smart people, like you. Think of the residents in another 4 generations, they need your help.

Do the commute at least once or twice.

I think I might just do that. I should be goin up to Chalfont in the next couple of weeks so I may put that into my plans. I also typed in the address of my friends house and the office that I would be working out of and it says that it's a 41 minute drive. Also, that would only be temporary, until I could find a place up there for myself.

No

No

Well, in my last post I mentioned that there is no pay cut, pay is the same. Also, the area I will be working in isn't what I originally though. I would be working in Bensaalem, which is pretty nice, as far as I'm concerned.