charleslee

Cheaper than Frontline

Heads up to all you dog/cat owners out there who aren't aware. WallysWorld (WalMart) came out recently w/ their flea/tick prevention equivalent to Frontline called PETARMOR PLUS. Same exact ingredients- I compared. $28.00'for a three month supply, 1/2 the price of Frontline. Frontline's patent expired according to my vet so anyone can make it. I'm using it and I believe it's working. I'm by woods and I haven't found any ticks on my shepherd. Save $ people, spend it on guns and ammo. LOL.

I have used Frontline Plus for the past few years, however this year it is experiencing break thru when it comes to fleas.

The problem is that the fleas have to bite the animal to get poisoned and die. There needs to be an insecticide that kills on contact.

I was recommended Biospot. It's approx 1/3rd the price and it's been working great for my dog since I tried it out 3 months ago. I got mine at Dr Fosters and Smith. Free shipping too.

Frontline has not been the greatest for fleas in the past few seasons and biospot has been shown to cause liver failure in some dogs. I would not use either product personally.

Wasn't aware of that. Going to have to do some research on that one. What product do you use?

just had a dog trainer friend recommend giving my dog "brewer's yeast and garlic" tablets from petco.I did a google search on it ,and it seems that some people have great results controling fleas and ticks.Your results may vary. I just bought 1000 tablets from petco for $13.

My vet recommended Vectra 3D and we have been using it with good results. Heard from other dog owners that switched from Frontline to Vectra that they are having better results with Vectra.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: It ain't cheap (best price is from my vet), but my dog is worth it...

11qiu11.jpg

My vet recommended Vectra 3D and we have been using it with good results. Heard from other dog owners that switched from Frontline to Vectra that they are having better results with Vectra.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: It ain't cheap (best price is from my vet), but my dog is worth it...

11qiu11.jpg

Bob you just shot the saying that dogs look like their owners right in the A$$. That is one beautiful dog.

Bob you just shot the saying that dogs look like their owners right in the A$$. That is one beautiful dog.

Thanks. If it makes you feel any better, our mental acuity is about the same....we're both nuts. In the picture she's pointing frogs.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I recently discovered that the patent for Frontline expired in 2010, although many people are still using the brand version out of habit. The generic is called Fipronil and you can get it for less money under several brands.

Not 100% sure, but recently read that a court upheld the patent for the maker of Frontline. My company owns that company and get an email at work about it. They may be pulling the generics.

I'd have to go look for the email to double check, but that's what I remember.

Vectra works better then Frontline. I would use that instead. And Vectra repels mosquitoes too.

Or even better, Scalibor has just been released in the USA by Merck. It has been used extensively in Europe the past few years with excellent safety and effectiveness. Its a collar that you apply once every 6 months. Dont think of this as the old school flea collars that didnt work and could be dangerous to the smaller breeds. Totally different.

http://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/products/scalibor/overview.aspx

Wasn't aware of that. Going to have to do some research on that one. What product do you use?

I am going to need to speak to my Vet about this :toclue:

My 2 dogs are still taking frontline.

Just make sure that the Vet isn't pushing Frontline either. They are usually pushing the one who gives them the best prices or kickbacks. I had used Frontline for years. This year it isn't working all that great.

I've been using biospot only during the bug seasons for a few years now. I've read the information on the dangers of pesticides and chemicals they use in biospot and others. Its a catch 22, if I don't use it, she winds up with ticks which are bad, if I do use it then there is the chemical risks associated with these products. I just keep an eye on her for any abnormal behavior or skin conditions indicating there may be a problem. None in the past few years that I know of.

On another note...

I make my own anti-bug torch fuel by mixing pure 100% essential citronella and cedar oil to the cheap torch fuel. It works well and saves me a ton of money as they charge a huge premium for the fuel with it added in already.

I'm currently experimenting on my dog with a mixture of some citronella and cedar essential oils in a food grade canola oil base. A little goes a long way. The essential oils are of the quality that they can be used in lotions and massage oils, so I'm not worried about it being dangerous. I'm just keeping an eye on the dog to make sure she doesn't have any skin reactions and of course ticks. If this does work, the downside is most likely will have to apply weekly or so.