Avi

.45 is there a need for Hollow point

In the grand scheme of things (defensive ammo) Hornady CD isn't ****. Who uses it besides civilians? No one. As for "far better" defensive loads... I would say there are none better and more proven then Win Ranger T Series or Fed HST's. Hornady CD can't even come close to either of those loadings and really, aren't even in the same arena.

Is this just based on who uses CD and that has made this an opinion of yours or are there ballistic fact's that this is based on??

Harry

In the grand scheme of things (defensive ammo) Hornady CD isn't ****. Who uses it besides civilians? No one. As for "far better" defensive loads... I would say there are none better and more proven then Win Ranger T Series or Fed HST's. Hornady CD can't even come close to either of those loadings and really, aren't even in the same arena.

I'll echo Harry's question. PD's use ammunition, often times based on low bid situations. I realize that federal agencies do their own testing when selecting duty ammo, but again it can come down to the lowest bidder.

The case for Critical Defense and the others mentioned was based on the hell in which we live and the fact that the three rounds mentioned are not considered hollowpoints - so I was simply doing an apples to apples comparison.

My personal preference runs to Gold Dots, but of the "non-hollowpoints" I prefer Federal's EFMJ's.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob - What's shakin? As far as I know you have no intention of committing a crime and the charge is "Posession of Hollow Points in commision of a crime". So why not use your Gold Dots if you want?

All this ammo stuff is a good discussion but, (this isn't for you Bob just a generality) make sure you can put multiple rapid shots in a 4" circle at 7yds. Then your use of "the right" ammunition is less of an issue.

I go with These

hornpic90958.jpg

or These

695547.jpg

I can get the Hornady's local , but I have to order the GoldDots online.

They both expand reliably , I prefer the GoldDots because my follow ups are a lil quicker than the Hornady +p's .... unfortunately the GoldDots cost an arm and a leg so I ran a couple of boxes through to make sure they fed reliably and the rest sit in the safe.