Sign in to follow this  
nuffice

saiga 7.62x39 sight crooked

Took the gun out of the box at range 14 yesterday and put a few rounds thru it grouping was too the left. Did the same thing again same result on closer inspection noticed the front sight assembly is off to the left is there anyway to correct this?

I smacked mine with a rubber mallet

Or use a brass or nylon drift and mallet. Either of these methods but it might take you a few tries to get it right.

I've used the sight adjustment tool for my SKS as you have a pusher which can be used for windage and a tool for elevation.

Just remember when you are making adjustments with teh front sight you move the sight in the opposite direction you want the round to go. Need the bullet to go left, push the front sight to the right, need the bullet to go higher, lower the front sight.

Shot it out of the box according to the paperwork it shot a moa @99 meters?

the general consensus is that most of the people who work there are drunk while working on these guns.. I would sight the gun in with an AK sight tool... if the sight post is too out of spec (which it could be) you might need to nudge it with a hammer.. most of the time there is plenty of adjustment though..

I was thinking they shot it at the side of a barn and gave it the go ahead. Other than the whole fab being crooked its fun to let 15 shots rip. Im gonna attempt the conversion when I get home from work. Since no one was able to help me lol

I don't think he is asking for help in sighting in, his whole front sight block is canted and he is asking for suggestions to get the thing vertical.

yeah I know.. but what I am saying is.. front sight cant is very common in these guns.. normally less common in Saiga.. but still common none the less.. what I was saying is cant is unimportant if you can still zero the gun.. if cant is so bad gun can not be zeroed then yeah start bashing it with a hammer... it all depends on how off it is as to if it even matters..

I know its off because the whole front sight block is twisted you can tell by looking at it its off like 8 degrees

you can try to smash the **** out of it with a hammer.. and you will likely get it "straight" to your liking..

but what I am explaining to you.. is that is all unnecessary if you can zero the gun with the block canted... and you will not be able to answer that until you try.. just looking at the sight post isn't going to tell you that.. there is a pretty substantial amount of travel in that sight post.. in fact I just helped a friend out with a Saiga the other day.. his post was WAY off center so I asked him about it.. but he explained even though it is was off.. the rifle was zeroed fine.. so he could bash the hell out of it with a hammer to get it to look straighter.. but what is the point if the gun is zeroed and shooting well? we ended up leaving it be..

if your cant is so bad you can't zero the gun.. then yeah.. its gotta move... but you are not bending a paper clip here..

you can try to smash the **** out of it with a hammer.. and you will likely get it "straight" to your liking..

This is one of the reasons why I LOVE this gun. What other rifle can you fix by smashing it with a hammer?

an AR.. it is just that the "fix" you create might be undesirable to some.. :icon_e_wink:

You must have misunderstood me, I said "fix", not demolish :icon_twisted:

I actually want to do throw my Saiga in some mud, fire it. Completely submerge it in some water, fire it. Throw a bunch of dry dirt in it, and fire it. All just to say that I actually did it.

For what it's worth my .308 was canted as well. My fix was to get windage adjustable rear sights instead of knocking the piss out of the front sight post with a hammer. I was worried about loosening the tension provided by the drift pins and the .308 recoil eventually knocking it loose.

My Saiga 5.45 was slightly canted too. Like Vlad suggests, I too was able to use the ak/sks sight tool and still zero it in by drifting the front pin a good distance. I can still get 2-2.25" groups at 100 yds, which is better than I had expected. I don't mind having the sight pin closer to one side as long as it's accurate.

If I can save up for a good red-dot..then it won't matter to me at all.

I said "fix", not demolish :icon_twisted:

sometimes those words can be interchanged..

For what it's worth my .308 was canted as well. My fix was to get windage adjustable rear sights instead of knocking the piss out of the front sight post with a hammer. I was worried about loosening the tension provided by the drift pins and the .308 recoil eventually knocking it loose.

I have seen a couple that were bad enough that they would not zero.... but MOST of the time you can zero the gun even with the sight canted.. if the gun is zeroed and shooting good groups for me a little cant is not a problem..

but if way off then yeah.. it has to be addressed.. I was just telling him to zero the gun FIRST.. and then decide if it is even worth addressing.. as opposed to just pulling the gun out of the box and smashing it with a hammer..

My Saiga 5.45 was slightly canted too. Like Vlad suggests, I too was able to use the ak/sks sight tool and still zero it in by drifting the front pin a good distance. I can still get 2-2.25" groups at 100 yds, which is better than I had expected. I don't mind having the sight pin closer to one side as long as it's accurate.

If I can save up for a good red-dot..then it won't matter to me at all.

this is the front sight I was referring to (I think)... sight drum is WAY to the left.. but like he said.. 2inch groups? that means the gun is running fine.. doesn't matter where the pin ends up.. also this is 5.45 gun.. so results may vary..