Sign in to follow this  
Cemeterys Gun Blob

Van Drew in trouble come election time?

Does anybody know anything regarding Republican Dave DeWeese and his 2A views?

The blog 'Save Jersey' is reporting that DeWeese has a very good chance of replacing Jeff Van Drew (who, along with Sweeney, is one of our gun friendly Democrat Senators).

Flashback: Van Drew introduced a CCW reform bill, alas with a hefty $$$ tag for said permit, and he voted AGAINST OGaM, and would not flip for Corzine or succumb to Bryan Miller's bullying tactics.

http://savejersey.com/http:/savejersey.com/4297/

I don't know anything about De Weese, but I know Van Drew personally. Not only is he a good guy, but despite his Democratic affiliation, he is fairly conservative and a strong 2A supporter. It's my understanding that the reason he attached a high fee to his CCW permit bill is that he thought it would have a better chance of getting through the legislature that way. When he sensed a lot of resistance, he lowered the proposed fee to $100 annually, which I feel is fair.

I don't know anything about De Weese, but I know Van Drew personally. Not only is he a good guy, but despite his Democratic affiliation, he is fairly conservative and a strong 2A supporter. It's my understanding that the reason he attached a high fee to his CCW permit bill is that he thought it would have a better chance of getting through the legislature that way. When he sensed a lot of resistance, he lowered the proposed fee to $100 annually, which I feel is fair.

Sorry, I do not believe it is "fair" to be required to pay before I can exercise a constitutionally guaranteed right. And after having no response from him on a number of issues that I have contacted his office on, when, and before they were up for vote, if he cannot return messages from one of his EMPLOYERS, then he will not receive MY vote.

Sorry, I do not believe it is "fair" to be required to pay before I can exercise a constitutionally guaranteed right.

What are you going to do, vote for the guy proposing CCW permits with no fees? Good luck trying to find him or her in NJ.

Hey, I'm the guy who wrote the Save Jersey piece that is referenced here.

Since a lot of people are questioning/trying to find out where Van Drew and Deweese stand on 2A issues, let me let you know where I stand. I've been a gun owner since I was 21. I shoot pistols and a little skeet. And when I lived in San Francisco, I was the founder of an event called "Bay Area ATF Day", where we got folks from San Fran, San Jose and Oakland to come shoot in the morning, then have lunch with 2A friendly politicians while having drinks and stogies. So yeah, considering I threw a high profile shooting event in Nancy Pelosi's backyard, you guys know I take 2A issues seriously.

Here is what I know about Van Drew. I have publically said that his CCW bill was nothing more than a ruse to try to get support from guys like us. He purposely, PURPOSELY, wrote a bill he knew niether party would vote for. Democrats oppose CCW and "shall issue" on general principle. But Van Drew needs the votes of guys like us in D1 to win, but he also needs Democratic dollars to win. So he asked party leaders "Hey, I know we don't support this, but I need to do something in this area to get re-elected. Can I write a bill whose main goal isn't passage but just to let me say 'Hey, I tried', and get me re-elected?" They said "There's a problem. We want you to get re-elected, but there is enough wind at the Republicans back right now that a CCW/"shall issue" bill might get passed if you introduce. So make it so bad, so anti its purpose that no Republican who is serious about 2A rights could vote for it."

And that's what Van Drew did. That's why a so-called "2A supporter" wrote a bill that created an almost impossible to reach criteria for "shall issue". Go back and check it out, its probably easier to get into Harvard than pass that test. I GUARENTEE you Van Drew couldn't (without calling favors). That's also why he increased the application fee by 4,600%. He knew no real 2A supporter could behind that piece of junk.

He wrote legislation just that so he could tell people on this forum "Hey, I tried, see I'm one of you, vote for me" without actually being one. That's all. It's an insult to all of us.

As for DeWeese, I do not know his stances yet.

• Like 3

essepp007, in my view you've hit the nail right on the head. That's exactly what I thought when I heard about Van Drew's bill. I don't like being played for a fool. New Jersey voters have been played by politician double-talk over and over again. I've said it before and I'll say it again; I'd rather vote for a yellow dog.

At least dogs know who their master is and try to please them. A politician's job should be easy. Schemes give birth to the phrase "working hard" for us. In this case it's so easy! We have rights, allow us to have our rights without being jailed. Require NICS, done. Charge the 15 bucks because NICS keeps everyone safe (as long as they're not border guards). Done.

Does anybody know anything regarding Republican Dave DeWeese and his 2A views?

The blog 'Save Jersey' is reporting that DeWeese has a very good chance of replacing Jeff Van Drew (who, along with Sweeney, is one of our gun friendly Democrat Senators).

Flashback: Van Drew introduced a CCW reform bill, alas with a hefty $$$ tag for said permit, and he voted AGAINST OGaM, and would not flip for Corzine or succumb to Bryan Miller's bullying tactics.

http://savejersey.com/http:/savejersey.com/4297/

There was a problem with the original post, here is a new working link for the story

http://savejersey.com/http:/savejersey.com/the-chinks-in-the-armor-why-van-drew-can-be-beaten/

Here is what I know about Van Drew. I have publically said that his CCW bill was nothing more than a ruse to try to get support from guys like us. He purposely, PURPOSELY, wrote a bill he knew niether party would vote for. Democrats oppose CCW and "shall issue" on general principle. But Van Drew needs the votes of guys like us in D1 to win, but he also needs Democratic dollars to win. So he asked party leaders "Hey, I know we don't support this, but I need to do something in this area to get re-elected. Can I write a bill whose main goal isn't passage but just to let me say 'Hey, I tried', and get me re-elected?" They said "There's a problem. We want you to get re-elected, but there is enough wind at the Republicans back right now that a CCW/"shall issue" bill might get passed if you introduce. So make it so bad, so anti its purpose that no Republican who is serious about 2A rights could vote for it."

His bill was always horses***. It was introduced with little fanfare, or even opposition. The only press it received was from Van Drew himself. And I became extremely suspicious since Bryan Miller never even had a press conference to try and rake Van Drew over the coals.

If Bryan Miller don't notice, it's basically D.O.A. in NJ.

Bait and switch.

Salesperson: "I'll sell you this car for $1M."

Customer: "That's outrageous!"

Salesperson: "Ok, I can lower the price to $100K"

Customer: "That's much better. Sold."