Jersey Joe

Jersey Shore Fishing & Swimming

Can anyone recommend a place where I can fish while my family can do the beach thing? The LESS South the better as it's just gonna be a day trip from Hunterdon County. I'm thinking Jetty fishing. If there's a boardwalk even better. LMK.

TIA!

JJ

I used to fish off the pier in Longbranch and my folks used to walk the boardwalk, they had lots of things to do and plenty of places to eat, but like I said wait for someone who knows the area a little better, it's only been 30+ years and no idea what it's like these days.

Harry

Avon, the next town north of Belmar has good fishing on the jetty at the inlet under the Shark River Bridge. Avon is a great choice of beach for the family. Free parking (if you can find it), nice boardwalk also. They were catching Fluke there today. Drive as north as you can, then find parking. You'll see the bridge.

I'm from the shore and I'd agree with savageshooter, Avon would be the place I'd go - the area right under Shark River Bridge and out on the jetty right near it. The beach there is nice and there are places to eat on the boardwalk.

Joe,

Was just there last week or so--Avon is the place! Fish along the jetty or under the bridge, depending upon tide/timing and where they're biting. Family can be a short walk away. You'll have to pay to get onto the beach though, so be prepared for that and don't bring a large bill. Plenty of Lifeguards. Beach fee schedule & pix is on the town's web site I believe. Good food all over including on the Boardwalk across from "The Columns" Restaurant. Nice seafood joint & great shrimp!

For a Pizza you gotta try either Vic's in Bradley Beach or Pete & Elda's in Neptune City. Only 5-10 minutes by car from Avon beach! Both have thin-crust pies to die for and are worth the wait!

Dave

I used to fish off the pier in Longbranch and my folks used to walk the boardwalk, they had lots of things to do and plenty of places to eat, but like I said wait for someone who knows the area a little better, it's only been 30+ years and no idea what it's like these days.

Harry

Harry. Do you remeber the haunted mansion on the pier? I was in high school and it was a great place to go.

Since topic switched to pizza my vote for thin crust is Miller's right here in Annandale. For real pizza, V&J in Wayne.

I've been to Miller's after a NRA Instructor Class held at the Clinton WMA building. Nice pies, but Vic's in Bradley Beach has nicer toppings. We'll have to take you down there some time and show you the area.

Dave