Mr.G

Maverick 88 Opinion?

I know its inexpensive but there are hard to pass reasonably priced quality items and there are "cheap" ones. Does it fall into the 1st category or later? Purpose is for range and competing (which means hundreds of rounds) and maybe HD. But I'd grab pistol 1st before before heading to a rifle safe in another floor. .40 cal pistol is easier to navigate than a long gun in narrow hallways.

The 88 I'd still spend $$$ to make it tacti-cool. Heat shield, picatinny rail, ghost ring, side saddle, etc... I just had to modify it for my taste.

Or, should I just get the Remi 887 Tactical - quality, durability, and tacti-cool looks and BE DONE with it? Complete turnkey solution. I figured a mod'd 88 will still be cost friendly but will it fall short on quality compared to Remi 887?

if your going to tacticool it out do like i did buy one used and then work it however u like, find one maybe with damaged furniture if you are replacing that and it will save alot of $$

Ive had mine for a while now and have never had any issues with it. Great shotgun for the price. Mossberg 500 acessories fit the 88. Its basicaly a Mossberg 500. Besides the safty being near the trigger guard. Its cheaper becuse Mosberg has some of the parts made in Mexico and assembled in Eagle Pass Texas.

DSCF0508.jpg

Picture376.jpg

Picture377.jpg

I have both the maverick 88 and the 887 nitro mag, the finish of the Remington is better, the maverick is a little rough on its finish. That is just a given though its a budget shotgun, it still is a very good shotgun and if someone wants a home defense shotgun its where it is at because of how custom you can make it and its quite reliable. The 887 I consider a very nice range gun its a pleasure to shoot even the magnum rounds aslong as you get a slip on limbsaver for it. The 887 has alot of standard tactical features and it has a better round capacity then the maverick and can also handle 3 1/2 inch shells but your looking at around $200 dollars for maverick verse almost $500 for the nitro mag tact. Here are pictures of my shotguns.

6043321124_610e38664a.jpg6043320790_6523618cac.jpg

6042774313_3e970cbe53.jpg

6042774015_9461f92688.jpg

Who makes the folding stock Anthony? I guess folding and pistol grip are allowed for pump action guns.

Can ghost ring still sit on top when the stock is folded? Also did you notice any disadvantage using the folding stock (comfort, balance, recoil, cheek height, etc..)?

Guys, thanks for sharing photos and feedback!! This is very helpful.

I have both the maverick 88 and the 887 nitro mag, the finish of the Remington is better, the maverick is a little rough on its finish. That is just a given though its a budget shotgun, it still is a very good shotgun and if someone wants a home defense shotgun its where it is at because of how custom you can make it and its quite reliable. The 887 I consider a very nice range gun its a pleasure to shoot even the magnum rounds aslong as you get a slip on limbsaver for it. The 887 has alot of standard tactical features and it has a better round capacity then the maverick and can also handle 3 1/2 inch shells but your looking at around $200 dollars for maverick verse almost $500 for the nitro mag tact. Here are pictures of my shotguns.

6043321124_610e38664a.jpg6043320790_6523618cac.jpg

6042774313_3e970cbe53.jpg

6042774015_9461f92688.jpg

The stock is by advanced technologies I got it on amazon for 50+ dollars I believe the stock would just go over the ghost sight and you could still use those. This stock is not as comfortable as a regular stock but its very functional and will give the stability needed its comfort level isn't bad with 2 3/4 shells I would not want to shoot this with 3's for sure.

I know recessed filter has one and loves it, and has many thousand rounds through it with no problems. Personally I prefer the 870, but to each his own!

This. You can find an 870 for $250 used, easily. I've even found one in good condition for $200. I'd much rather buy an 870 used than go with something that can potentially be inferior.....especially if you're planning on possibly using this for HD and competitions, you'll need reliability.

Eh, people can argue all day this gun vs. that gun blah blah blah but in the end, anything can fail or jam or any other issue could come up in a $2k gun while the $400 gun is still going on and on and on like an Energizer battery.

I have a Maverick 88 and it is definitely in my top 3 favorite/most used guns in my collection. I bought it about 2-3 years ago and decided to go with an 88 because the low price tag interested me, as well as the positive reviews online. I knew it was basically a Mossy 500 but partly assembled in Mex, but accessories and barrels and parts all can be interchanged.

I can tell you I have not had 1 problem with it at all in this time. I would estimate round count through it to be upwards of 15,000 shells. About 80% of that count is used for clays and 20% for HD training. The action on my 88 is effing butter and it racks inbelievably smooth. Yes, I've dropped it and hit it and beat it up but it still keeps on going and I don't need to worry about something 'going wrong' with it, because I trust it 100%. Reliability is not questionable with it. It is one of my guns I have set up for HD and shoots any and all loads well. It's nice to be able to swap barrels between a cylinder bore for HD and a VR barrel for clays and hunting.

Many think something that is a little less money than something else means it is cheap, low quality, or won't function well. Sometimes that is the issue, but for the Maverick 88, I will say that it is just as good as a 590 or 870 or anything other well-known 12ga. In terms of 88 vs. 590 or 870 or whatever, you get more with a 590 or 870 like the option of ghost rings or adjustable stocks or parkerized finish and all that jazz, but for a flat price of $199 that I got my 88 for brand new, you just cannot beat it. Sure it comes with the basic beaded sights and basic finish and whatnot, but realize you do have the option to add accessories like ghost rings or stocks or shell carriers etc as well.

Good to hear. I've committed to getting the 88 security from a fellow forum'er. I just want to know if its a good buy for the money or needed to get the upgraded model instead. For primary HD I have my .40 or AR.

The shotgun will be personalized and modified so there is no need to get factory installed bling. Heck, 40% of my Bushy AR has been replaced and I have a bunch of brand new parts sitting in the attic - lesson learned for me. I just cant leave them alone! lol

Picking it up this week... Thanks again for the input.

Yeahh, you're welcome. I'm glad I could add my opinion and help! Make sure to post up pics and whatnot.

Is this security a new 88 model or something?

It is not a good buy, it is a GREAT buy! I have never heard of anything negative said about it on the couple other gun forums I am on. I think it would be a great buy especially if you plan on modifying it, that way you can do what you want instead of buying it with accessories already installed that you might not want. And don't think you're jipping out on quality going this route instead of a more expensive shotty, I am sure you will be just as satisfied with it as I am.

Just an fyi, they also make an 8 shot model for like $30 more. I was going to get that one actually, but my LGS said they couldn't order it for some reason and that they could have the 6-shot model in the store in two days. So I said screw it and went with the 6-shot...not a bad choice at all, I'm just saying I would have liked to have the two more shells in my mag tube.

Not sure if its new but there are 4 models - 2 from Field and 2 from Security - http://www.maverickarms.com/

Yeahh, you're welcome. I'm glad I could add my opinion and help! Make sure to post up pics and whatnot.

Is this security a new 88 model or something?

It is not a good buy, it is a GREAT buy! I have never heard of anything negative said about it on the couple other gun forums I am on. I think it would be a great buy especially if you plan on modifying it, that way you can do what you want instead of buying it with accessories already installed that you might not want. And don't think you're jipping out on quality going this route instead of a more expensive shotty, I am sure you will be just as satisfied with it as I am.

Just an fyi, they also make an 8 shot model for like $30 more. I was going to get that one actually, but my LGS said they couldn't order it for some reason and that they could have the 6-shot model in the store in two days. So I said screw it and went with the 6-shot...not a bad choice at all, I'm just saying I would have liked to have the two more shells in my mag tube.

Eh, people can argue all day this gun vs. that gun blah blah blah but in the end, anything can fail or jam or any other issue could come up in a $2k gun while the $400 gun is still going on and on and on like an Energizer battery.

This is all great for you. It's awesome that you're able to find a gun that you're willing to trust your life with if need be. ~15k rounds without a hiccup through a pump shotgun is more than I would need to trust it. All I'm saying is, there's always the exception that proves the rule. Not that overall the M88's aren't reliable.....but that cheaper cost needs to come from somewhere. If you're starting from scratch, and you have the ability to buy a gun that's tried and proven over several decades, for the same price......why not? The 870 has just as much aftermarket support as well. Buying guns new isn't something I practice regularly, or at all. When buying a reliable gun like an 870, I have no reservations with buying one used. I think dollar for dollar, you'll get more out of the gun. That's just me. Take my opinion, go back 50 years, and buy 2 sticks of gum with it :D

UPDATE:

Here are before and after photos. Still less expensive than the leading brand/model but has Mossy 500 basics. And I am still able to configure it the way I like it for less.

Just a bunch of inexpensive stuff - (not worth spending 10K in accessories for a 15K Civic)

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18498-post-your-tactical-shotgun-pics/page__view__findpost__p__352097