jcerillo70

Becoming a Police Officer in NJ

I'm aware of the requirements for the state police, i was asking if you get more pay for higher education, in this case a graduate degree...

My ignorance comes from the municipality level, they vary all over the state and they don't reference how they handle it, you basically need to know someone, or dig through the municipality codes.

I don't mind being wrong as long as people give me the right answer. :icon_mrgreen:

An applicant must have (1) a bachelor’s degree, signifying completion of the undergraduate curriculum and graduation from an accredited college or university or, (2) alternatively, an associate’s degree or have completed 60 college credits from an accredited college or university, plus at least two years of satisfactory employment or, (3) alternatively, have completed 30 college credits from an accredited college or university plus at least two years of active duty military service with an honorable discharge

Most people are gunna take option 2....the state had to offer this route after their racial profiling invest and minorities said the requirements were to hard for them to even apply. In my opinion, its government dumbing down society.

-Scott

I find that hard to believe, yet why do i find myself believing it... the education department would have been sued long before them, and every other state department that requires a 4 year degree. Ahhh the great state of NJ and logical thinking...gotta love it.

Imdoubt if it's a hiring requirement to be hired you would see additional pay for yourmdegree if it's the degree needed to get hired, I can only speak for what I know for my agency, maybe data universe has something..... I don't where to look for that, if u give me a municipality I can ask around the people I do know to find out, but my friends are in close department to the area I live in ocean county and Monmouth. Pm me with it I'll see what I can do. On another note,wi wouldnt plan on pay differentials with the current governor cutting all funds and grants and municipalitiesmlaying people off, that differential would be the least of my worries I would rather get paid less and be in a stable department then to get paid more and you possibly loose your job just saying. I have job security I was hired for a new job... No lay offs can happen or they can't open up the new jail they spent millions on lol. So yea job security def out ways more money now yah gt what I'm saying

Imdoubt if it's a hiring requirement to be hired you would see additional pay for yourmdegree if it's the degree needed to get hired, I can only speak for what I know for my agency, maybe data universe has something..... I don't where to look for that, if u give me a municipality I can ask around the people I do know to find out, but my friends are in close department to the area I live in ocean county and Monmouth. Pm me with it I'll see what I can do. On another note,wi wouldnt plan on pay differentials with the current governor cutting all funds and grants and municipalitiesmlaying people off, that differential would be the least of my worries I would rather get paid less and be in a stable department then to get paid more and you possibly loose your job just saying. I have job security I was hired for a new job... No lay offs can happen or they can't open up the new jail they spent millions on lol. So yea job security def out ways more money now yah gt what I'm saying

I agree, most of the towns in the area wont even hire teachers with advanced degrees because they have to pay them more $$, and im sure those people would be glad to take a pay cut just to get a job, but they don't even consider them. The new 2% tax cut, while good for tax payers has been hitting public employment hard.

Well i'm 22 years old and the only carrear i have had so far has been welding and selling cars. I've sold cars to more cops than i can count who say they wouldnt trade it for the world. And theyre not buying cheap ford focus's , they were buying Roush mustangs and F-350 diesels!

Realistically you may be 32 before you find yourself employed for any police department in NJ.

You have a lot of police officers laid off at this monument. It may take years to call all the laid off police officers back to work, and townships cannot place any new hires until the current list is called back.

With homeowners fleeing the state because of high taxes, the townships cannot afford to hire new police officers even if they wanted too.

We are in a big mess, and until or nation becomes stabile, you will not see any police department hiring new hires.