jcerillo70

Becoming a Police Officer in NJ

Hey guys,

So I'll be going back to school in a few weeks to finish up my marketing degree, But i really want to be a police officer. After alot of research almost all of the agencies require a degree, but they dont specify what type whether it be criminal justice or basket-weaving!

So to all my LEO friends out there, Can i get hired with a marketing degree or do i have to do it all over again?

I am not a LEO but have been attempting to get into the field, Most agencies just care about having credits in general, Some specify wanting a BA in criminal justice. Now if your talking local law enforcement you just need a high school diploma or GED. New Jersey LEO positions have pretty much been saturated due to lay offs and whatever people could be hired they picked up layoffs or people in line from previous testing year. If your looking to just get your foot in the door as a LEO you need to try for a city like Trenton, Newark, NYC, maybe even Philadelphia. Pay is crappy to start and jobs harder but right now its only sure way to get a sure job and then you can transfer after you have some time in. Example is NYPD they are looking for around 1300 cops this year and most likely wont fill it,if your really looking to do local you might as well wait it out by going for criminal justice degree it will definitely help if your looking to go to say FBI OR CIA and such they will take the guy with a CJ degree over marketing.

Thanks ant. I was talking to the local cops in my town and one guy was telling me most of his coworkers have master's degrees in CJ. I was blown away when he told me that. But it sounds like it's easier to get a job in the hood then any where else, which is fine with me.

So whats the next step? Wait for the cheifs exam then get into the acadamy?

What they WANT and what the requirements are, are two to totally different things. The minimum state requirement is an Associates degree. Anything past that is just a plus for you. Military experience or a Bachelors degree are both serious add-ons that will help you get the job. You will learn everything you need to know in the academy, so I would venture to say that you should be okay. I would check with your local community college to see if you could transfer any credits and then look into getting an Associates. Times are tough right now for NJ LE. If you can get yourself an Associates in CJ pretty easily, and cheaply, at your local community college....it's worth it to have that plus your BA.

I am not a LEO but have been attempting to get into the field, Most agencies just care about having credits in general, Some specify wanting a BA in criminal justice. Now if your talking local law enforcement you just need a high school diploma or GED. New Jersey LEO positions have pretty much been saturated due to lay offs and whatever people could be hired they picked up layoffs or people in line from previous testing year. If your looking to just get your foot in the door as a LEO you need to try for a city like Trenton, Newark, NYC, maybe even Philadelphia. Pay is crappy to start and jobs harder but right now its only sure way to get a sure job and then you can transfer after you have some time in. Example is NYPD they are looking for around 1300 cops this year and most likely wont fill it,if your really looking to do local you might as well wait it out by going for criminal justice degree it will definitely help if your looking to go to say FBI OR CIA and such they will take the guy with a CJ degree over marketing.

Unless things have changed more recently, the FBI requires an accounting degree, law degree or fluency in languages that they need. Can't say what the CIA requires.

Most employers don't care what your degree is in, they just want to see that you put up with 4 years of BS, that way they know know you can deal with what they throw at you.

• Like 1

with all due respect.. having relatives in NJ LE.. hearing what they put up with day in and day out.. watching the state government targeting state jobs.. seeing huge cuts.. seeing the need to have to pay more in.. seeing people let go.. why on earth would you want to be a cop, and in all places NJ? I mean "cop" is something you can be ANYWHERE.. if you really want to be involved in LE move somewhere that treats LEO better? plus have the advantage of living in a state that doesn't suck.. I could see if you are already LEO and have put several years in.. starting over somewhere else makes no sense.. but if you are not yet even involved in it? why start now.. seems like you are jumping ONTO a sinking ship..

I agree with vladtepes.... Most of my friends are local and state LEO'S and they are trying to get out. One of my boys just retired at 40 and he is a principal in East Orange. Most have said that anyone who wants to get in now must need their head examined......

Well i'm 22 years old and the only carrear i have had so far has been welding and selling cars. I've sold cars to more cops than i can count who say they wouldnt trade it for the world. And theyre not buying cheap ford focus's , they were buying Roush mustangs and F-350 diesels!

My favorite customer john Polatta, who is the president of the retired state police Takes a Hunting trip to canada f every year and is loaded!

So here's how i see it.

Belmar cops WORK AT THE BEACH half the year , you start at $30/k + $750/week if you have an associates. They cap at $83K plus half of them have side jobs like landscaping, Snow plowing , and viking private security, so like i said they're makin money.

-Your helping the community ,

-Half the places you eat at feed you free(my father's pizza place for example)

-After all the friends i had die from drugs i want to do everything i can to prevent that from happening to someone else.

-And the girls love a man in uniformsarcastic_hand.gif

And i do agree, after doing alot of research it does seem that PA cops have a little easier life, but this is where all of my family lives.

Well i'm 22 years old and the only carrear i have had so far has been welding and selling cars. I've sold cars to more cops than i can count who say they wouldnt trade it for the world. And theyre not buying cheap ford focus's , they were buying Roush mustangs and F-350 diesels!

My favorite customer john Polatta, who is the president of the retired state police Takes a Hunting trip to canada f every year and is loaded!

So here's how i see it.

Belmar cops WORK AT THE BEACH half the year , you start at $30/k + $750/week if you have an associates. They cap at $83K plus half of them have side jobs like landscaping, Snow plowing , and viking private security, so like i said they're makin money.

-After all the friends i had die from drugs i want to do everything i can to prevent that from happening to someone else.

And i do agree, after doing alot of research it does seem that PA cops have a little easier life, but this is where all of my family lives.

America > NJ

if you are just starting your life.. don't do it here.. do NOT take this the wrong way.. but your family won't be alive forever.. and you will grow up to create your own family.. and life.. NOW is the time to take the chance IMO.. I convinced myself to stay here 10 years ago.. because like you.. I have family.. it was the WORST decision I ever made..

just my 2 cents..

America > NJ

if you are just starting your life.. don't do it here.. do NOT take this the wrong way.. but your family won't be alive forever.. and you will grow up to create your own family.. and life.. NOW is the time to take the chance IMO.. I convinced myself to stay here 10 years ago.. because like you.. I have family.. it was the WORST decision I ever made..

just my 2 cents..

Very true, I'm going to shoot some emails out to PA precincts and see what i can do. I'm sure its the same deal with a chiefs exam and everything

Thanks vlad! your the man

Very true, I'm going to shoot some emails out to PA precincts and see what i can do. I'm sure its the same deal with a chiefs exam and everything

Thanks vlad! your the man

good luck to you.... I hope you follow the path that you feel will net you the most happiness as opposed to the path that is created with the easiest of choices.. most of the time.. things that are worth doing present challenges.. I see this situation as nothing different..

So here's how i see it.

I agree with this and I think the way the system has been revised there pendulum is swinging toward the state. There are plenty of jobs where you can travel and have "side" jobs. I travel about 15-20 times a year, lecture and consult for a drug company and I am not law enforcement. I am not saying do not become a police officer il especially if your heart and desire it into it. My best friend is truly into his career and WORKS in the community every day. I am sorry to hear about your friends but you get involved worth the drug alliance in your community. This will bolster your application and your "commitment" to your community. Also, have you looked in the southern states. Before my friend become a state trooper, he worked as a LEO Maryland State Police.

-And the girls love a man in uniform

With all due respect, and I mean that, if these are two reasons why you want to become a police officer.....DON'T, because you have absolutely no business being in that position of those are part of your motives. Many PD's have policies against accepting free or discounted food or products for a reason....it's unethical. Places don't give discounts or free food to police officers "to pay back to the community" or because they think it's a nice thing to do, they do it because it makes their business less of a target for criminals. So you and 15 other officers go to your fathers pizza place for lunch or dinner everyday because it's free. Now the family owned pizza place down the street has NO cops coming in, and becomes a bigger target. It's unethical to take advantage of that and potentially put other business' at risk for your own personal gain.

• Like 3

With all due respect, and I mean that, if these are two reasons why you want to become a police officer.....DON'T, because you have absolutely no business being in that position of those are part of your motives. Many PD's have policies against accepting free or discounted food or products for a reason....it's unethical. Places don't give discounts or free food to police officers "to pay back to the community" or because they think it's a nice thing to do, they do it because it makes their business less of a target for criminals. So you and 15 other officers go to your fathers pizza place for lunch or dinner everyday because it's free. Now the family owned pizza place down the street has NO cops coming in, and becomes a bigger target. It's unethical to take advantage of that and potentially put other business' at risk for your own personal gain.

I disagree with your blanket motives statement..

while I am sure that might be motive for SOME people..

when I ran a retail location I DID provide strong discounts to LEO.. I did it under my own direction.. due to the extreme amount of respect I have for them.. not because I wanted them around.. you should know me well enough to know that I don't need cops around to feel safe.. lol... not because I expected any "favors"... but really and truly just out of respect for them..

check njlawman.com lots of great information. You will find departments require anything from high school diploma on up to be hired, there is no state requirement. As for the major, you will find within your first five days on the street a criminal justice is just about useless. Also with criminal justice if LE doesn't work out for you, there's not much else you can do with it. You will also probably notice anyone in the higher up administrative positions ie Lt and up would often have some sort of management degree over cj. When you look into NJ there is also another evil demon in the way called the civil service commission. To be hired by a civil service town you must have residency take a test, which just passed and only happens every two years and score at the top, not to mention veterans who pass automatically go to the top. All in all its a great job, but with all of the laid off officers, alternate route guys(which is coming back in 2012 look into somerset county police academy) and class II's with certs, there's a lot of competition and getting your foot in the door with no experience will be tough.

Noticed someone mentioned PA, most except large cities require are ACT 120 which is basically like PA's alternate route, most departments wont even read your app until you put yourself through an academy.

I have a lot of experience with this, feel free to pm me with any specific questions.

I agree with vlad in that starting your life here trying to become a LEO is a poor poor decision. I am trying to become a LEO in NJ as well(24yo), but I own a house here, all my family is here, and I've been working on the civilian side of LE for almost 5 years already. As for the job, I can only say that I know what goes on on a day-to-day basis, and I know without any shred of doubt that it's the career I want to have. Without that passion, you may want to explore other avenues.

Lot's of great info already, but from some of the guys who worked for me and then went onto the field the only thing that really opened the door for them was the Military backgrounds they had, and I'll add the door opening was rather small, at least in the townships they were applying to.

There is one thing you might want to look into, and I don't have any direct knowledge of this but have seen and heard that if you might care to move. Phoenix PD has been looking for applicants for quite some time, and I am not talking about the last year or 2 but probably the last 10 to 15 years.

Harry

I have a friend who just went through the process, and is still, in a sense, going through the process. The process took him roughly 18-20 months to finally get a job, and he is still looking for a better one as the Dept he's with is kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel. He's happy enough that he has a job though, and is finally fulfilling his dream career.

He has a clean background, interned for a police department for a good amount of time, worked as security at a number of different tiers, and received a BA in Criminal Justice. The term escapes me right now, but he paid his way through Academy when he realized how difficult it was to get picked up by any department without being certified. Where he was lacking is that he doesn't know any law enforcement officers with affluence personally/family, he's a minority, and he has no military experience.

So, good luck.

I have a friend who just went through the process, and is still, in a sense, going through the process. The process took him roughly 18-20 months to finally get a job, and he is still looking for a better one as the Dept he's with is kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel. He's happy enough that he has a job though, and is finally fulfilling his dream career.

He has a clean background, interned for a police department for a good amount of time, worked as security at a number of different tiers, and received a BA in Criminal Justice. The term escapes me right now, but he paid his way through Academy when he realized how difficult it was to get picked up by any department without being certified. Where he was lacking is that he doesn't know any law enforcement officers with affluence personally/family, he's a minority, and he has no military experience.

So, good luck.

He self sponsored himself into the academy that is a great way to go if you have to money since academy out of pocket is about 7k. It does gives you an advantage over others because the department saves money and can put you to work right away. It was done away with in NJ for the most part indefinitely, I assume because the PD's weren't able to get the people they contracted into the academy because classes filled up. I am looking into PA academies to see if they offer such things but doesnt look too good right now.

He self sponsored himself into the academy that is a great way to go if you have to money since academy out of pocket is about 7k. It does gives you an advantage over others because the department saves money and can put you to work right away. It was done away with in NJ for the most part indefinitely, I assume because the PD's weren't able to get the people they contracted into the academy because classes filled up. I am looking into PA academies to see if they offer such things but doesnt look too good right now.

PA has a self sponsor program I believe it's through their community colleges.

NJ's program called alternate was stopped for 2011 but is set to resume for 2012 somerset has an orientation for alternate route applicants set for sometime in september for their january class

80k / yr + pension

Sounds like a great figure but when you break it down it isn't much.. Let's base it on 80k.. You have to remember these figures:

Federal Tax Rate = 25%

NJ State Tax Rate = 6.37%

Pension Payments = 10%

Health Care = 34% of premium (Single Coverage) - 28% w/ 1 dependent - 24% w/ family coverage

Medicare Tax = 1.45%

NJ SUI/DI Tax = 0.5%

Union Dues = $30.00 per check (roughly $700)

Don't get me wrong.. The job "can" be great.. It's what you make of it.. But people think that cops are raking in the cash.. You aren't.. If you want to roll in cash then this is NOT the job for you.. With all the deductions above you will be lucky to clear half of your "salary".. Everyone takes this job for different reasons.. Personally.. I took the job because it was something I always wanted to be.. I wanted to work in the community I lived all my life and do what I could to make it better.. I wanted a job that gave get medical coverage and had a good pension.. A job where I am my own boss 90% of the time.. A job where I wasn't stuck inside but was out and about.. I will tell you though.. I have seen things in my town that go on that I NEVER knew happened.. Things you don't read in the papers or hear about in the news.. I love the job.. I think it's a shame what Christie has done to the profession and how he has treated state workers.. But in the end I still love my job.. It's not a job that I get up in the morning and get sick thinking about going to.. I just hope to get through this phase and hopefully the state will bounce back and we can be where we were as far as contracts go.. But as I stated.. This is not a job to get rich.. I am in the 80k range and some guys have been doing the calculations for when all the deductions take effect and from what they have come up with it looks like if you make 80k you will clear just under 40k.. Sure you get a pension which is always nice but like I said you are not rolling in cash during your career.. You want to make money.. Pray for overtime and details..

As far as degrees go.. Civil service departments require High School or GED... Chief's testing towns can have higher requirements.. Most require 60 credits or something like that..

After alot of research almost all of the agencies require a degree, but they dont specify what type whether it be criminal justice or basket-weaving!

Most agencies don't care. I was on just about the first PD to require 60 credits back in the 70s. I already had a BA but they didn't care in what as long as i had 60 credits.

Someone mentioned the CIA. The CIA is not a LE agency it is an intelligence agency. What they are able to do in the US is very limited. Most of what the they do in the CIA would be considered very boring by most of us as 90%+ of intelligence is gathered overtly. They would require at least a 4 year degree and/or some extraordinary abilities to work there as their needs are constantly changing. language ability is a definite plus.

The FBI traditionally looks for a degree in law or accounting but they have always had what they used to call their modified program which is a 4 year degree and some type of skills they have a use for.

There are things like DOD, FBI, CIA, FPS, and other agency "police" which provide security to facilities. CBP has inspectors and there is also the Border Patrol under CBP along with an Air and Marine Branch.

Federal Air Marshal's are under TSA.

Investigator's jobs like DEA, ATF, ICE, Secret Service, Dept of Agriculture and other agencies have Special Agents. These are Criminal Investigators (job series 1811) and the only difference between them and a FBI Special Agent is the types of crime they investigate and most people would think working for the FBI is more prestigious. All of these jobs require at least a BA in anything english, history, one of the sciences, they really don't seem to care and I can't say a CJ degree would give you any edge. There is a plethora of federal agencies that have Special Agents including the Forest Service, Bureau of Marine Fisheries, and other agencies.

I would expect it would take anywhere from a year or two from when you first apply and take a test to when you start working. I would suggest taking the first job offered as it is easier to get another once you are in the system.

There is locality pay throughout the Federal government and one of the 1811 jobs after about 5 years would be paying about 115k a year in the New York/Newark area with some extra bennies you won't get with a local PD.

Lot's of great info already, but from some of the guys who worked for me and then went onto the field the only thing that really opened the door for them was the Military backgrounds they had, and I'll add the door opening was rather small, at least in the townships they were applying to.

There is one thing you might want to look into, and I don't have any direct knowledge of this but have seen and heard that if you might care to move. Phoenix PD has been looking for applicants for quite some time, and I am not talking about the last year or 2 but probably the last 10 to 15 years.

Harry

Phoenix PD was looking for people big time but has slowed n almost stopped in the last three years. I have family in Arizona and had oppertunities to join three years ago and kick myself for not moving.

-Scott

Phoenix PD was looking for people big time but has slowed n almost stopped in the last three years. I have family in Arizona and had oppertunities to join three years ago and kick myself for not moving.

The problem with a long distance move for a local agency is if you like the work but can't stand living there you're starting out all over again.

I started with the Federal government moving from NJ to AZ. During the summer it was too hot for my kids to play outside during the day, had to drive 150 miles to get to a real supermarket, 50 miles to get a part for my car with the choice of one place to go, and with no cable TV then I got to watch reruns of Mannix in from Mexican TV or one channel from Tucson or Phoenix but only at night after spending a weeks pay on a super antenna and line amp. I worked my way back east with no loss of seniority, postion, or anything like that.

Okay you won't have a lot of those problems in Phoenix. AFAIC Phoenix has the same problem as most places have between the Mississippi and the West Coast and that's you have to drive so far to go somewhere else.

Something to consider.