tuktuk

Anti-Material Rifle

I didn't realize that at least 4 or 5 countries developed and opearate Anti-Material Rifles with calibers larger than .50 / 12.7mm .... I mean in the military bigger is better , yes .... But , 14.5mm or 20mm for an infantry weapon ?? Damn that's just krazy .....

Anti Material rifles are meant to be used against military equipment not combatants which are anti personnel rifles. These rifles are meant to shoot through military vehicle engines, destroy communications equipment, sensory equipment and other weapon systems. Its a faster, cheaper, safer (and probably all in that order) way to take out an enemies ability to function. Some of the rounds are multi layered and peel away as they go through armor and whatever they may have to pierce and that's part of the reason they are so big. Completely awesome and devastating non the less.

I believe that, way back in the day, you could buy a Swedish Lahti 20mm anti-tank rifle from Sarco. For you movie buffs, Clint Eastwood used one of these to blast a safe open in the movie "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot".

Adios,

Pizza Bob

With magnesium tip .50 cal bullets what is there even a need for an anti-material weapon? Those will blow a hole through just about anything..

LOL

Where can one get these super-penetrating magnesium tip bullets? As opposed to plain ol' API?

Reminds me of Teflon coated bullets and cop-killer armor-piercing hollow points.

• Like 1

LOL

Where can one get these super-penetrating magnesium tip bullets? As opposed to plain ol' API?

Reminds me of Teflon coated bullets and cop-killer armor-piercing hollow points.

The military, lol. If you have never seen them before, they rip through tanks and ricochet inside the passenger compartment, like a hot knife cutting through butter. They literally burn their way through armor turning it into molten metal. I'm trying to find a video of a demo, but can't seem to find any. I forget which show i saw them on either the military channel or discover, weaponology maybe?

The cool part about them is that they dont push through armor, which results in the back of the armor being blow out, they literally cut through it, the exit hole looks almost identical to the entry hole.

I believe they are still considered API, but on steroids.

The military, lol. If you have never seen them before, they rip through tanks and ricochet inside the passenger compartment, like a hot knife cutting through butter. They literally burn their way through armor turning it into molten metal. I'm trying to find a video of a demo, but can't seem to find any. I forget which show i saw them on either the military channel or discover, weaponology maybe?

The cool part about them is that they dont push through armor, which results in the back of the armor being blow out, they literally cut through it, the exit hole looks almost identical to the entry hole.

You're probably referring to APDS (armor piercing discarding sabot) rounds with an AP core usually of hardened tungsten. They sometimes use magnesium/aluminum jackets and/or ballistic cap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raufoss_Mk_211

Not sure if this is it, but its the closest description i could find to what im talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_BMG#Military_cartridge_types

and here is a list of them.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8733668854193756605

Video is blurry as hell, but i shows it shooting through man hole covers Hebus!!

300px-Raufoss_NM140_MP_%28en%29.svg.png

Interesting round. HEIAP (high explosive incendiary armor piercing). Looks like you found what you were referring to. The zirconium is the component that burns like hell. Thanks for the info, I never read about this type of round before. Kinda a jack of all trades.

From what I could find, the M903 SLAP AP round has better penetration over the MK 211 HEIAP, but lacks the cool blowing up/burning effects.

My link

"Typical of a modern HEIAP shell is the Raufoss Mk 211 .50 BMG round designed for weapons such as heavy machine guns and anti-materiel rifles.

The primary purpose of these munitions is armor penetration, but unlike SLAP rounds (Saboted Light Armor Penetrator) which get their armor-piercing ability from the propulsion of a 7.62mm tungsten heavy alloy bullet from a 12.7mm barrel (.50 caliber) using a sabot with much more energy than is usually possible from a 7.62mm round, HEIAP munitions use high explosives to "blast a path" for the penetrator. [citation needed] The special effect is developed when the round strikes the target. The initial collision ignites the incendiary material in the tip, triggering the detonation of the HE charge. The second (zirconium powder) incendiary charge will also ignite. This burns at a very high temperature, is not easily extinguished, and can last for 10 minutes"

Are you maybe confusing magnesium with phosphorus?

I'm really not sure, i know it's a mix of something one of them being the main ingredient making up about 50% of the incendiary tip.

Up just found something..

http://www.nighttiger.net/chemical-analysis-of-firearms/incendiary-bullets.html

looks like there are many possibly effective options in the creation of API rounds. And that's not even including the He charge found in the mk211

Looks like there are three elements to the MK211 the incendiary tip, the HE charge, and then zirconium powder around the tungsten projectile...

Im just sitting here trying to imagine what a 20mm Mk211 style projectile could doo. :icon_mrgreen:

Are you maybe confusing magnesium with phosphorus?

no its magnesium. magnesium powder burns hot enough to melt and burn through just about anything on earth. phosphorus is a hot burning substance but no where near as hot as mag. In welding and heavy demolition we use magnesium rod to burn through anything heavy including reinforced concrete its real nasty stuff.

"The military, lol?"

Actually, you're a moron. You're talking about two things at the same time and getting them both completely wrong. Maybe even three things.

Kinetic Energy Penetrators - Provide maximum penetration against most armor, although there are countermeasures. Usually DU or tungsten. NEVER MAGNESIUM. Do not burn their way through anything, but do pyrolize as a secondary effect in many cases.

Shaped Charge/EFP - It is a hot jet of gas and/or metal. It does not "burn" through anything. NEVER MAGNESIUM.

API/Raoufos HEAPI - The AP component is a penetrator. The explosive and incendiary components are for secondary effects. And very effective at them.

So, you said that magnesium tipped bullets go through anything, and that was complete BS. I pointed it out, and instead of admitting that you didn't know what you were talking about, you just blather on. And, later, throw up an example of something completely different from what you originally claimed.

Don't tell me, "from the military," and "if you've ever seen them."

• Like 3

"The military, lol?"

Actually, you're a moron. You're talking about two things at the same time and getting them both completely wrong. Maybe even three things.

Kinetic Energy Penetrators - Provide maximum penetration against most armor, although there are countermeasures. Usually DU or tungsten. NEVER MAGNESIUM. Do not burn their way through anything, but do pyrolize as a secondary effect in many cases.

Shaped Charge/EFP - It is a hot jet of gas and/or metal. It does not "burn" through anything. NEVER MAGNESIUM.

API/Raoufos HEAPI - The AP component is a penetrator. The explosive and incendiary components are for secondary effects. And very effective at them.

So, you said that magnesium tipped bullets go through anything, and that was complete BS. I pointed it out, and instead of admitting that you didn't know what you were talking about, you just blather on. And, later, throw up an example of something completely different from what you originally claimed.

Hey man, there is no need for you to be such an a-hole.

• Like 1

"The military, lol?"

Might try this dude: Required Reading

Harry

• Like 1

Hey man, there is no need for you to be such an a-hole.

Yeah, those first few words were supposed to be "inside words" not "outside words" :) And, I don't really think the guy is dumb, it was just a knee-jerk reaction to the ridiculousness.

Jackdawack, I'm sorry for being such an a-hole and for that personal attack. I know that doesn't make up for it, I know I'm still an a-hole, but I also doubt your feelings are actually hurt over some internet a-hole anyway. So, now I'm just an a-hole that sincerely apologized. And I do mean it sincerely. I don't like being rude to people like that and offending them, and I feel bad about it. Insulting people crosses the line.

• Like 2

Well, clearly I'm no ammunition guru like yourself. My original post was a sporadic response about something i had learned a little about, i guess clearly not enough, it wasnt even 100% serious and i was hoping someone would enlighten the subject further. If you have knowledge about what i was talking about or trying to, then im all ears, sarcastic responses don't really add to the conversation. I'm not here to say my word is god and true.. i will dig up anything that makes me right, im here to learn, not pick fights. If you read my following posts unbiasedly then you probably would have noticed that i was more interested in learning about the effects of different kinds of Incendiary/HE bullets while trying to find what i was refrencing, god only knows what crap i watched on tv and how true it is. The only point i was trying to really make this whole time is that there are 50 cal. bullets that pack a serious punch in respect to armor. I sensed your sarcasm in your first response and told myself not to bother, but i was more curious to learn about what i was trying to get across.

The world is full of a-holes and i have learned to live amongst them. Everyone has an off day. No hard feelings, i get much worse on xbox live anyway.