DevsAdvocate

Utility of a 7.62x39 bolt-action...

So, I've been looking at bolt-action rifles for awhile now, and trying to decide which would be the best fit for me and my potential uses. I also wanted to avoid adding another caliber of ammunition to keep stocked which essentially leaves me with 5.56x45, 7.62x39, and .357mag

5.56x45/.223 is too small and that role is filled by my AR-15s.

.357magnum is a bit pricey, and availability of rifles is limited.

7.62x39 is cheap, but has the punch equivalent to a .30-30... but selections are limited.

Right now, that means a Remington 799 (discontinued), Savage Scout FCM 10 (availability questionable), Ruger compact Bolt-Action (16.5" bbl) and a CZ-USA Carbine (16.5" bbl).

So... has anyone here had any experience with such a bolt-action? Is my thinking on this a bit flawed? Should I even bother getting one in this caliber, or just get a traditional caliber like a .308 or .30-06

Intended use is for hunting and as a fun scoped bolt-action. Nothing tactical or anything.

I guess it really depends on how far you plan to shoot with it. If you only want to shoot out to 200 yards, then it may suffice. I think that you'd get a flatter trajectory with the .308 though, meaning there wouldn't be as much holdover. Have you thought about a sporterized SKS? I'll wait for more to chime in.

So, I've been looking at bolt-action rifles for awhile now, and trying to decide which would be the best fit for me and my potential uses. I also wanted to avoid adding another caliber of ammunition to keep stocked which essentially leaves me with 5.56x45, 7.62x39, and .357mag

7.62x39 is cheap, but has the punch equivalent to a .30-30... but selections are limited.

Right now, that means a Remington 799 (discontinued), Savage Scout FCM 10 (availability questionable), Ruger compact Bolt-Action (16.5" bbl) and a CZ-USA Carbine (16.5" bbl).

So... has anyone here had any experience with such a bolt-action? Is my thinking on this a bit flawed? Should I even bother getting one in this caliber, or just get a traditional caliber like a .308 or .30-06

Intended use is for hunting and as a fun scoped bolt-action. Nothing tactical or anything.

DevsAdvocate, I have been having similar thoughts. I want to make sure that ammunition is plentiful globally (NATO compatible) and have been exploring weapons in .308 and .223 calibers for that very reason. I am exploring the best weapon in .308 (7.62x51) caliber for long distance (300 - 600 yards) and .223 (5.56x45) for intermediate distances (100 - 300 yards).

The .308 Winchester has become the most popular short-action, big-game hunting cartridge worldwide. It is also commonly used for civilian target shooting, military sniping, and police sharpshooting. The relatively short case makes the .308 Winchester especially well adapted for short action rifles.

The 223/5.56x45 was developed to fit the action length of the new M16 service rifle. The 223/5.56mm quickly became popular as a civilian cartridge because of the availability of brass, and the chambering of commercial varmint rifles in that caliber. Shortly after military acceptance of the M16, the semi-automatic version, the AR-15 became available, making the .223 cartridge even more popular.

I would use a shotgun and handguns for shorter distances up to (Shotgun up to 100 yards). So far it looks like an AR-15 would be the most popular for the .223 caliber weapon and a Remington 700 or Winchester Model 70 for the .308 caliber although I am OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS as I continue my search for a bolt action or semi-automatic. 12 gauge and 9MM ammunition are both low cost and very plentiful as it .45ACP.

DevsAdvocate, I have been having similar thoughts. I want to make sure that ammunition is plentiful globally (NATO compatible) and have been exploring weapons in .308 and .223 calibers for that very reason. I am exploring the best weapon in .308 (7.62x51) caliber for long distance (300 - 600 yards) and .223 (5.56x45) for intermediate distances (100 - 300 yards).

The .308 Winchester has become the most popular short-action, big-game hunting cartridge worldwide. It is also commonly used for civilian target shooting, military sniping, and police sharpshooting. The relatively short case makes the .308 Winchester especially well adapted for short action rifles.

The 223/5.56x45 was developed to fit the action length of the new M16 service rifle. The 223/5.56mm quickly became popular as a civilian cartridge because of the availability of brass, and the chambering of commercial varmint rifles in that caliber. Shortly after military acceptance of the M16, the semi-automatic version, the AR-15 became available, making the .223 cartridge even more popular.

I would use a shotgun and handguns for shorter distances up to (Shotgun up to 100 yards). So far it looks like an AR-15 would be the most popular for the .223 caliber weapon and a Remington 700 or Winchester Model 70 for the .308 caliber although I am OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS as I continue my search for a bolt action or semi-automatic. 12 gauge and 9MM ammunition are both low cost and very plentiful as it .45ACP.

.308 is ungodly expensive though. 7.62x39 Russian is way cheaper and easier to find. I also don't see myself shooting past 200 yards in a hunting environment either.

Have you ever thought of 7.62x39?

I guess it really depends on how far you plan to shoot with it. If you only want to shoot out to 200 yards, then it may suffice. I think that you'd get a flatter trajectory with the .308 though, meaning there wouldn't be as much holdover. Have you thought about a sporterized SKS? I'll wait for more to chime in.

If a sporterized SKS runs about $550-600, then no since a bolt-action is comparable in price and probably a bit more accurate.

I think 200 yards is a good distance for hunting though, and the 7.62 russian is quite cheap and plentiful.

Adam- 308/7.62X51 is the way to go. Inherently accurate and a must for a serious shooter.

The best in 30 cal goodness.

It's so expensive though... and I'm wary of having another caliber to spend money on.

The more I've read on the 7.62x39, the more I realize how underrated it is when it comes to hunting and sporting. The ammo is cheap and lends itself well to practice. And at 125gr-150gr, it's got some heft to it.

Decisions, decisions...

I have been looking at the CZ-527M though... it's supposedly very lightweight and accurate.

cz527wa6.jpg

It's so expensive though... and I'm wary of having another caliber to spend money on.

The more I've read on the 7.62x39, the more I realize how underrated it is when it comes to hunting and sporting. The ammo is cheap and lends itself well to practice. And at 125gr-150gr, it's got some heft to it.

Decisions, decisions...

I have been looking at the CZ-527M though... it's supposedly very lightweight and accurate.

cz527wa6.jpg

Adam- The rifle is beautiful and a fine rifle. You had better start reloading though if you #1 want to keep the cost down and #2 want to obtain the full potential of either of the two calibers. BTW 7.62X39 has an excellent reputation for accuracy in a bolt action rifle. Just I hope you don't intend on shooting that cheap steel cased corrosive $hit in a fine rifle like that CZ.

Adam- The rifle is beautiful and a fine rifle. You had better start reloading though if you #1 want to keep the cost down and #2 want to obtain the full potential of either of the two calibers. BTW 7.62X39 has an excellent reputation for accuracy in a bolt action rifle. Just I hope you don't intend on shooting that cheap steel cased corrosive $hit in a fine rifle like that CZ.

Reloading is a ways off for me since I live in a Condo and lack the space to do it (for now).

As for the CZ... I would use non-corrosive steel cased, similarly to what I use in my AK. :icon_mrgreen:

Reloading is a ways off for me since I live in a Condo and lack the space to do it (for now).

As for the CZ... I would use non-corrosive steel cased, similarly to what I use in my AK. :icon_mrgreen:

I really don't know if any of the bolt action rifles were intended for steel cased ammo. Give me a call tomorrow if you

want to discuss reloading. You can do it in between 4-8 square feet.

Check this out another good one http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

Give me a call tomorrow if you want to discuss reloading. You can do it in between 4-8 square feet.

My first reloading setup was a bench that was 36x18 - it got tight after a while but it was achievable. Another guy who no longer posts used to use a "trunk" about coffee table height and he used wingnuts to mount the press to the top of the trunk so everything was stowable within the trunk. Space really is not an issue to start.

My first reloading setup was a bench that was 36x18 - it got tight after a while but it was achievable. Another guy who no longer posts used to use a "trunk" about coffee table height and he used wingnuts to mount the press to the top of the trunk so everything was stowable within the trunk. Space really is not an issue to start.

Agreed Dan. I have a fixture that fits in to the leg attachment of my weight bench.

Just an example for ya. Bought a new TIKKA T3 LITE SS in 308WIN. Like it a lot. Guaranteed 1 MOA at 100. Scoped with Nikon Prostaff 3-9/40 BDC.

You can buy Herters steel or Hornady Steel Match. Or all sorts of brass - Federal, Winchester, etc.

My shoulder went from red to black and blue so I had to get a better recoil pad and now it's not bad.

the x39 is a quite capable and under rated round. It is capable of some impressive accuracy if you do your part. I built an sks from scratch last year that is sub MOA. Yes I did say sub MOA out of an SKS and there are a couple of members on here that can verify that. This was using the Yugo M67 surplus ammo from AIM. I am in the process of builting a x39 mosin that should be done by the end of the year, so hopefully that shoots even better considering it is a bolt.

I always wanted to get a .308 bolt gun, but I am extremely interested in a Savage 10 FCM Scout in 7.62x39 with an Accutrigger and Accustock with the iron sights. Since the ammunition is cheaper and since it would have commonality with my Saiga 7.62 and the SKS that I would like to get, I think it would be a good alternative, and the ammunition price would enable me to practice much more with it. Later on I can get a .308 bolt gun such as a Remington 700 Mountain rifle or a Savage 16 All Weather Warrior, or pickup an M1A. What do you guys think?

According to the interweb consensus that I found, seems the power and accuracy needed for deer hunting @100 yards, the 7.62x39 would serve you well.

If you are going for precision/target at ranges beyond 200 yards, the choice may not be so good.You don't see precision/benchrest shooters using 7.62x39, I don't even need to comment on how much .308 is used for precision shooting.

.308 is more expensive, but you will probably be shooting around 30-40 shots from your bolt gun before you want to give it a rest and move to something else. Plus, if you are going for precision rather then blasting/plinking, you'll spend some time on those 30 rounds. You'll be able to find plenty of surplus .308 out there, with brass re-loadable cases. Won't be like shooting match ammo, but you should have some fun. Save the brass, and eventually set up for reloading. :)

just my 2 cents

I think its time to add another "standard" caliber... 7.62x39 is an awesome round, a fun round in bolt action, but if its going to be your only bolt gun you are going to be leaving alot of the table in terms of accuracy range and power and it wont fill a role that an AK or SKS cannot except it shoots slower.

You will regret not getting a .308 once you want to actually do some precision stuff at longer ranges, which is exactly the idea of a bolt action. A bolt action 7.62x39 would be like a Ferrari with a 4 banger

Let us not forget that two of the most accurate benchrest rounds, the .22PPC & 6PPC, owe their parentage to the 7.62x39

Damn it! I thought I had you Bob. I knew the 6mm PPC was derived from. the 220 Russian. But of course you are right! The 220 Russian was derived from the 7.62X39.

But technically you are off by one generation...