TheMan

.45 auto reloading

Ok guys i have a habit of going to the range too often (almost everyday) and shooting a ton of ammo. Im spending too much money at dicks and online. Does anyone know approximately how much it will cost to buy a complete reloading setup or if theres anyone on the site that reloads ammo and charges to do it. I shoot alot and never collect my brass. Please help me out. should i just save it all. Thanks alot.

I am about to start reloading and I have been saving all my brass knowing I will be reloading it in the future. I would say do the same, and even if you don't reload yourself, you can either score a few bucks selling your brass or if you have a GOOD friend that reloads maybe he can teach you and let you use their press or reload it for you and barter from there.

Harry

Thanks harry, Yea im kinda stuck between saving all my brass and trying to pay to have it reloaded but bro i shoot so much i think it will just be cheaper if i buy my own reloading equipment. Do you possibly have a ballpark figure of what im looking at as far as all the stuff ill need to reload. thanks- Darren

My girl Sue Kempf will hook you up with the whole package. shes the best!

Ill give you the link for her lee classic turret kit. its everything you need

https://kempfgunshop...emart&Itemid=41

tell her Joe Cerillo sent you. she loves me lol

Thanks harry, Yea im kinda stuck between saving all my brass and trying to pay to have it reloaded but bro i shoot so much i think it will just be cheaper if i buy my own reloading equipment. Do you possibly have a ballpark figure of what im looking at as far as all the stuff ill need to reload. thanks- Darren

Well I was flipping coins between the Hornady Lock-n-Load and the Dillon 650, probably more press than a new user should really start off with but I have friends who have had this press and can coach me and double check everything for me so while I feel confident I can handle the 650 out of the box I have additional checks and balances to make sure I am doing it right.

As far as equipment, Tumbler with media etc, scale/scales, measuring equipment, bullet puller, case gauges, misc tools, a solid loading surface or bench setup, and the press and associated dies, shell plates, primer tubes etc.

I figure when I am ready and if I only load 1 bullet it better be very accurate and hit whatever I want being it will cost between 1500-2000 bucks, should get cheaper after that. :icon_mrgreen:

Note, these are my starting points and I am new and not even set up as of yet, but I think it may be a good starting point, also note I could get in a lot cheaper but I like to start with a quality product that will last me a life time and cry once about what I paid than buy junk. However not to say all lower cost items are junk, they are not but I know I want to load on a progressive press rather than a single stage, but from what I understand many who do start out with a single stage keep them even when they get a progressive for many reasons and I have not discounted the possibility I may have a single stage down the road myself.

Harry

Just to give you an idea of cost savings - I can load a box of 50 .45ACP 230gr. lead heads for about $6.50 - $7.00. This is buying reloading components in bulk and on sale. My biggest savings in pistol cartridges is .45ACP.

I don't believe in paying for brass so yes free brass.

Wolf primers, I've gotten them as low at 17 per/k

Dardas 200gr. SWC lead projectiles Don't quote me I have it written down somewhere but I believe I paid in the 75 dollar range per 1k

And I use winchester 231 and buy it in 8lb jugs at 120 for the 8lb jug.

I believe that puts me at like 5.20something or another

If you use CCI primers your price is going to be COMPLETELY different. I've shot thousands of rounds with my wolf primers and Tim has shot beyond thousands of primers with no hiccups. Just this last time I went to reload some large rifle and the little radiation symbol on the inside fell out of two of my primers. That is the only problem I've ever had. The price different is more than enough to convince me to continue using them.

oh and buy in bulk.

When we order primers, we don't order less than 30k primers at a time.

When we order bullets we order I believe 12k or more from Dardas in order to get the 15% off discount

Matt uses Bat $hit and charcol for powder!

What are you using to get it down so low? Free brass? What kid of primers? Projectile?

Basically what Matt said. Free brass, primers $24/1000, 230gr. LRN for about $90/1000, 1lb Win 231 15.00. Graf & sons recently had free haz mat and shipping if buying 10K of CCI primers. I think the primers came out to about $24/1000. The wolf primers were close to $18/1000. The trick is bulk and sales.

I'm not going to need lead heads for a while, but Rick you gotta get in on that day. It knocks at the minimum 15/1k off the price of your heads. That right there is two cents roughly a bullet. That adds up quickly times 50. And I suggest trying out the wolf primers, that'll save you another almost 1 cent per bullet. So those two things your looking at almost knocking 1.50 off your reloads alone.

I'm not going to need lead heads for a while, but Rick you gotta get in on that day. It knocks at the minimum 15/1k off the price of your heads. That right there is two cents roughly a bullet. That adds up quickly times 50. And I suggest trying out the wolf primers, that'll save you another almost 1 cent per bullet. So those two things your looking at almost knocking 1.50 off your reloads alone.

I picked up a case of the wolf primers also since they were on sale. I'll eventually get to them.