msg73

G19 or M&P9?

On another note, my friend just got is FID/P2P and really liked the feel of the Sig 226. I never handled it and he never handled a G19 or M&P 9. How would the Sig fair in the mix?

Thanks,

Mike

I've got all 3 (well, a convereted M&P40 w/ a M&P9 barrel and mags).

My P226 is from '96, I believe the last year of all German construction and folded sheet metal slide w/ pinned block.

It is an outstandingly accurate pistol, reliable and tough. I've recently added the E2 grip and really like it. It is very soft shooting in 9mm (no experience on the .40/357Sig models). What I don't like about it is the DA/SA trigger and extremely mushy trigger reset. While the DA is smooth and consistent, the pull is heavy. The SA is very nice w/ a crisp break. My buddy has a late 90's vintage P229 in .40 w/ the sweetest stock trigger I've ever felt on a Sig. The newer variants have the SRT (short reset trigger) which makes a big difference. They also have short reach triggers as well, along w/ the E2 grip panel. For me, I've come to appreciate and value the striker fired pistols (Glock, M&P, etc) for their consistent triggers from first shot to last.

*** The following is purely speculation w/ no direct experience, and is based soley on errornet reading from posters I respect who seem to be in the know. These sources are mostly found on M4carbine.net/pistol-training.com. ***

Post 2005 production Sigs have gotten a reputation of not maintaining Sig's "to Hell and back reliability". While still a very accurate platform, it seems there is more of an effort on Sig's part to sell glitz vs. quality. I've read A LOT of threads on various firearms related forums that describe Sig's decline of quality control. It seems that there are now 3 tiers of production quality at Sig.

1. At lowest is production for civilian purchase. The alloy in the receiver is not the same quality as pre-2004 and many cost cutting measures have been implemented. For a while in the mid-2000's, Sig's only came w/ 1 mag. They are now back up to 2. I've recently read that they are now using Check Mate mags on new production guns vs. MegCar. In case you don't know, Check Mate mags were blamed for Beretta 92FS/M9 pistols malfunctioning when the Iraq war first started. Also, they've done away w/ quality control checks and the pistol coming w/ a target demonstrating accuracy and function. The pistol in now not fired before it leaves the factory. I've also read that many MIM parts have been introduced. My pistol has a braided recoil spring of different metals to function in extremely cold weather. I understand new production Sigs come w/ a standard single braid spring. This may have changed recently w/ many customer complaints.

2. Next up is LEO production. These guns have the better alloy in the receiver and some quality checks are implemented. As I understand it, PD departments that have experience w/ older Sigs vs. newer production Sigs complain of reduced shot counts before parts breakage.

3. Fed/Military production. These guns get the full quality check. Guns for the SEALS are produced w/ phosphate coated parts.

If it were I, I'd hunt down a pre 2004 P226 - post 1996, w/ the solid forged milled stainless upper. These were known as the toughest Sigs ever made for civilian purchase, outside of limited production runs of the SEAL P226's and some fed/mil production overruns. I've read about round counts on these guns going easily into 100k plus.

As an alternate, if you want a kick a** DA/SA type pistol, check out the HK P30/P2000/USP or Beretta 92FS/M9/PX Storm.

Where is the most economic place to pickup an M&P? I would be interested in one with a thumb safety.

Alex, but your hands should also be registered as dangerous weapons. =)

My observation from this weekend, there were almost as many people shooting M&P's at area 8 as Glocks, and would venture to guess even more M&P's in the Limited division than glocks.

My observation from this weekend, there were almost as many people shooting M&P's at area 8 as Glocks, and would venture to guess even more M&P's in the Limited division than glocks.

I see the new G34_Gen4 is out now! Im trying to save my pennies to jump on it, even tho I have 3 permits to burn.

Extra $$ is harder to come by these days. :banghead:

Was at Shore Shot today and took the opportunity to rent the M&P9 and was very surprised. I had expected to really bond with it but was left feeling it wasn't right for me. Next time I am at Shore Shot I will try it again, may have just been due to what I had been shooting before hand.

While the Glock 19 didn't excite me, I did shoot good groupings with it.

Just shows how important it is to try before you buy!

TheWombat