Sign in to follow this  
e80hydro

Quick clot sponges

I saw these things in an outdoor store yesterday. My daughter and her boyfriend do a lot of hiking and they bring along a small first aid kit. Is this stuff worthwhile? I was wondering if it was worth adding to their kit. Anyone here ever have to use it?

QuickClot is a gauze pad impregnated with a blood coagulation agent. I keep one in my range bag and one or two in my SHTF bag, but don't bother carrying one in my hiking/outdoors bag. The general risk of a heavily bleeding penetrating trauma is so miniscule I don't see much of a point in carrying the extra weight. I would probably carry one if I was hunting though.

A couple years ago I lived in Israel and was a EMT on an armored ambulance in the West Bank. I carried a couple QuickClots over there in my jump bag. I've never had to use one, but I've heard from my buddy who was a combat medic in the IDF that they used them frequently on terrorists who were shot in the course of their capture... he said they're pretty amazing how quickly they work.

The original generation QCs had a strong exothermic reaction and would occasionally cause localized burns at the injury site, but the current versions on the market have minimized the heating effect, although I understand they definitely still get hot.

• Like 1

I carry Israeli bandages. I found out about them when I did my RSO course at Wicen in Pa. That's what they use at their range, and they also use them for Advanced First Aid training.

Other items in my first aid kit are duct tape, some of the bigger grandma type feminine napkins (which are an excellent alternative to compression bandages), gloves, plastic for sucking chest wound and alcohol.

I'm looking for some type of liquid wound cleanser that's easy to carry and wont leak or dry out.

I carry Israeli bandages. I found out about them when I did my RSO course at Wicen in Pa. That's what they use at their range, and they also use them for Advanced First Aid training.

Other items in my first aid kit are duct tape, some of the bigger grandma type feminine napkins (which are an excellent alternative to compression bandages), gloves, plastic for sucking chest wound and alcohol.

I'm looking for some type of liquid wound cleanser that's easy to carry and wont leak or dry out.

I was looking at this stuff as a wound cleanser. Made by 3M. My link

I carry Celox in my range bag, few people on the AR15.com are selling them

(In the Tactical Guns & Gear issue of Guns & Ammo that was on display until March 11, 2008 (I could not find a volume/issue number), an article "If It Bleeds" by Patrick Sweeney discusses the different clotting agents, including Celox, TraumaDEX, QuikClot, and HemCon. It addresses the pros and cons of all of them, as well as how each works.)

Here is how Celox works:

Just an FYI any of these hemostatic agents are not in any standard of care for prehospital providers in NJ.

I can only speak of quickclot and the older powder versions caused some crazy thermal reactions, but when the alternative is bleeding out who cares.

The sponges (quick clot inside of a gauze pad) work better and are easier to use. The formula of the sponge variety I'd "cooler" so the burn issue is subsided.

Please get training on when and how to appropratly use the quickclot. It's intended purpose may vary from what you think.

I was looking at this stuff as a wound cleanser. Made by 3M. My link

Thanks for the idea. Couldn't find a lot of info about the 3M online, but found alternative: Nexcare wound cleanser

We could probably find similar wound cleanser in any big drugstore, it's next on the shopping list.

Thanks for the idea. Couldn't find a lot of info about the 3M online, but found alternative: Nexcare wound cleanser

We could probably find similar wound cleanser in any big drugstore, it's next on the shopping list.

How does this relate to the QuickClot? We are talking life ending bleeding control and you're linking wound cleaning fluids?

I hope you don't think you need to clean wounds prior to controlling the bleeding...

If you are looking into using Quick Clot for SHTF scenerios then go for it. Of your thinking about it for range trips, reconsider.

Quick Clot and similar agents are for severe injuries where immediate help is not available. In NJ where a trauma center and helicopter are rarely over an hour away, clotting agents can do more harm then good. Clotting agents do exactly what the name says, it clotts the blood and theoreticly seals the wound.

Tosser is correct, there are cases of burns with the clotting agents.

There is also a small risk of the clottig agents getting into the central circulation, creatig a circulating clot that can lodge in the brain (causing a stroke) heart (causing a heart attack) lungs (pumlinary embolism) or deep veins (DVT).

On your range trip if someone gets hit, stop the bleeding, elevate the wound, apply direct pressure, apply pressure to the supplying artery and if all else fails use a tourniquet.

Wound cleaners are for small wounds. If someone is bleeding badly, do not try cleaning the wound, stop the bleeding.

All that being said, I keep Quick Clot at home for when the zombies come and one of my fellow survivors accidently shoots someone.

(Quick Clot does not stop the Zombie virus form spreading).

• Like 1

That is great info and something I was wondering about.

Not to hijack this thread but it seems to fit in the general discussion here. I have been looking for some first aid courses so I can learn a little more than the average bear regarding first aid. I am not looking for EMT training as I do not have the time. I couldn't find anything at say OCC or Red Cross... Seems Red Cross is mostly for CPR training which I got 2 years ago. I know the training has changed and I need a refresher.

Sorry for the hijack...

• Like 1

Just an FYI any of these hemostatic agents are not in any standard of care for prehospital providers in NJ.

I can only speak of quickclot and the older powder versions caused some crazy thermal reactions, but when the alternative is bleeding out who cares.

The sponges (quick clot inside of a gauze pad) work better and are easier to use. The formula of the sponge variety I'd "cooler" so the burn issue is subsided.

Please get training on when and how to appropratly use the quickclot. It's intended purpose may vary from what you think.

+ 1k for anyone with prehospital care training, this is the kind of thing that will get your cert pulled. You arent covered by good samaritan laws because you are trained, and they are no in any standard of care so you will be on your own if it comes down to it. This is the kind of thing that is ok for you to use on yourself if you wish but not someone else.

As far as I know tourniquets are only covered as an acceptable care practice for those with the specialized training. The new pilot NJ EMT (not EMT B) course covered it but it was written out of the - B course a few years ago.

That is great info and something I was wondering about.

Not to hijack this thread but it seems to fit in the general discussion here. I have been looking for some first aid courses so I can learn a little more than the average bear regarding first aid. I am not looking for EMT training as I do not have the time. I couldn't find anything at say OCC or Red Cross... Seems Red Cross is mostly for CPR training which I got 2 years ago. I know the training has changed and I need a refresher.

Sorry for the hijack...

Youre looking for a class called First Responder, which if I remember correctly is no longer recognized by the state so its hard to find the course.

As far as I know tourniquets are only covered as an acceptable care practice for those with the specialized training. The new pilot NJ EMT (not EMT B) course covered it but it was written out of the - B course a few years ago.

Youre looking for a class called First Responder, which if I remember correctly is no longer recognized by the state so its hard to find the course.

It's in the older (Not the new 8month EMT training) curriculum. It falls into that nebulous area with the Percordial thump....

If you are looking into using Quick Clot for SHTF scenerios then go for it. Of your thinking about it for range trips, reconsider.

Quick Clot and similar agents are for severe injuries where immediate help is not available. In NJ where a trauma center and helicopter are rarely over an hour away, clotting agents can do more harm then good.

We need to remember this my friends. Aeromedical resources are available here and NO-ONE in this state is beyond an hour from a trauma center.

You'd be surprised how much bleeding can be stopped with direct pressure.

The Red Cross offers first aid training. There are community centers that do it as well. I have done some informal first aid training for the Coast Guard Auxillary, there are occassional classes out there you have to look.

I'll start a new thread about a first aid class to gauge interest.

It's in the older (Not the new 8month EMT training) curriculum. It falls into that nebulous area with the Percordial thump....

Interesting.. when I went in '03 (I think), they covered tourniquets, but not the thump. Never got to try either of those :-P

Interesting.. when I went in '03 (I think), they covered tourniquets, but not the thump. Never got to try either of those :-P

Been there done that. I watched one of the original nj paramedics thump someone back... Was crazy.

I have several packs of QC as part of my overall first aid kit. I keep one in my main range bag which also has a decent 'blowout-kit' I assembled, one in each auto first aid kit, one on my motorcycle and one when in my backpack when hunting. If you are by yourself you might bleed out and not make it to the hospital dumping a motorcycle or a hunting accident deep in the woods. Direct pressure first, tourniquet and QC in that order is what I have been instructed to do.

When I was stationed in Alaska, we had a local teenager die from a 22lr rifle round when he and his friends were leaving the range. When they 'tossed' the 'unloaded' rifle into the car it discharged striking him in the neck. He bled out before they could drive the few miles from the range to our basic hospital. I am sure with a neck injury and other areas, a tourniquet just won't work. It is a shame this stuff wasn't around then, it might have saved a young man's life and a life long guilt trip for another.