jcerillo70

H.R.822>National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

Last i've seen they have came up with 242 co-sponsors &

Latest Major Action: 2/28/2011 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.

The only person i have seen from the garden state who signed was Rep LoBiondo, Frank A. [NJ-2].

Anyone hear any recent news on the subject? Where it stands as of today?

Eh, not really.

It would mean that someone from PA could carry in NJ, but someone from NJ couldn't carry in NJ.

But NJ Would have to recognize our out of state Florida permits that a majority of us here have already.

It's supposed to be treated just like a driver's license. Good in all states, you just have to do the states speed limit

AFAIK, there is wording that if your state provides for its own permits, then you have to have your own resident state's permit to be legal in your own state. As in you CAN'T live in NJ and use your non-resident FL permit to carry within NJ.

The reason is that NJ does in fact have a permit system for carrying a HG, even though it is a farce and completely unconstitutional. It should be knocked down in court over the next year or so with the SAF/ANJRPC lawsuit. Just have to wait.

I sure hope it passes. While it may not help us directly it still gives us more ammo for us to use in an attempt to change NJ's right to carry laws. Of course I would expect that instead of taking this laying down, NJ instead enact a law saying something like you can’t carry within a 2000ft of any government owned facility or property (including roads), without special permission from the state police. Than NJ could claim that they do in fact recognize other states permits, it would be just almost impossible to actually carry in NJ in practice.

I've been waiting for this to come up again, as it almost passed the last time it came to a vote.

It came nowhere near passing, regardless of the vote. It was complete politics. The committee cut a deal to allow it to the floor for a vote so that a whole bunch of republicans could vote on it for PR purposes. The vote count was established before hand, to lose. I don't remember what the republicans gave up in return for this political stunt. And I feel bad about that, because I know they handed over something pretty shitty for the US at the time. I'll get back on that...

AFAIK, there is wording that if your state provides for its own permits, then you have to have your own resident state's permit to be legal in your own state. As in you CAN'T live in NJ and use your non-resident FL permit to carry within NJ.

The reason is that NJ does in fact have a permit system for carrying a HG, even though it is a farce and completely unconstitutional. It should be knocked down in court over the next year or so with the SAF/ANJRPC lawsuit. Just have to wait.

Correct.

‘Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms

‘(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, related to the carrying or transportation of firearms, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that--

‘(1) has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or

‘(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes.

I sure hope it passes. While it may not help us directly it still gives us more ammo for us to use in an attempt to change NJ's right to carry laws. Of course I would expect that instead of taking this laying down, NJ instead enact a law saying something like you can’t carry within a 2000ft of any government owned facility or property (including roads), without special permission from the state police. Than NJ could claim that they do in fact recognize other states permits, it would be just almost impossible to actually carry in NJ in practice.

philly tried similar nonsense.. it did not pan out for them..

Eh, not really.

It would mean that someone from PA could carry in NJ, but someone from NJ couldn't carry in NJ.

I will then become a PA resident!

PA DL, LTCF & all! Yea buddy!

...gotta luv it when a vacation home becomes permenant! :superstition:

philly tried similar nonsense.. it did not pan out for them..

I thought that was a more of a matter of state law overriding any local laws when it came to guns. where this case it would be a state law, and as far as I understand the federal law just says states would just have to recognize other states permits but those permit holders still have to follow all that states law, and there is nothing saying that a states laws cannot be unreasonable.

I will then become a PA resident!

PA DL, LTCF & all! Yea buddy!

...gotta luv it when a vacation home becomes permenant! :superstition:

My house has been on the market for 4 months...had one very low offer with many "subject to" phrases. We live in a very desirable area where up to 2 years ago there would be bidding "wars" to buy these homes. Now there is nothing... dead!

Nope, you couldn't legally get your carry weapon out of the house.

Why? If I'm legally allowed to carry in NY, why would I have a problem? Or to put it differently, why would I have any more of a problem transporting my firearm (locked and unloaded) from NJ to carry in NY than I would transporting to carry in PA?

Why? If I'm legally allowed to carry in NY, why would I have a problem? Or to put it differently, why would I have any more of a problem transporting my firearm (locked and unloaded) from NJ to carry in NY than I would transporting to carry in PA?

This has been a long standing argument. Some argue that NJ travel exemptions with HG's do not include "taking the HG out of state to CCW", only to ranges, places of repair, etc. Some argue that FOPA protects you as long as you adhere to the travel rules , locked in a box unloaded, etc. Some say FOPA won't protect you as they feel it only protects you while traveling through intermediary states, where you have to obey the originating and destination state's local laws. Then some say just "plan" to go to a range in the state you are planning on taking your HG to, this way you adhere to NJ's exemptions and all is good.

This has been a long standing argument. Some argue that NJ travel exemptions with HG's do not include "taking the HG out of state to CCW", only to ranges, places of repair, etc. Some argue that FOPA protects you as long as you adhere to the travel rules , locked in a box unloaded, etc. Some say FOPA won't protect you as they feel it only protects you while traveling through intermediary states, where you have to obey the originating and destination state's local laws. Then some say just "plan" to go to a range in the state you are planning on taking your HG to, this way you adhere to NJ's exemptions and all is good.

You should always be headed to a range wherever you're going.

OK, but my point is that transporting your gun through NJ to carry in NYC with a Fla permit under the National Reciprocity Law would (or should) present no different or greater risks than transporting through NJ to carry in PA.

Yes, IF this law passes

This whole HR822 thing is a pipe dream. I mean that ina good and bad way. It is good that we WASTE these BS politically driven walls that interfere w/ personal liberty. It is bad that there are elements of 'Federalising' this CCW Nat'l system where the Feds could one day decide, "Oh, I think we will mandate Nat'l 10-rd mag cap" amongst the MYRIADS of other potential restricts. :codemafia:

As I recall, Korzine FLEW down to DC to oppose this bill the first time and the usual suspects (Menendez / Lautenbugger) said it was 'the most DANGEROUS legislation they have seen in a long time'. :icon_rolleyes:

All I want is 'heads to roll' from NJ's super-draconian restrictions on CCW et al, but I personally feel most people in the state is brainwashed beyond all recognition w/ this regard, as will NJ's poor economy be and continue, in direct proportion to restrictive laws, whereas TX, for example is inversely porportional, <<<-just a theory here.

Hearing Scheduled for H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 > This Tuesday !!!

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=7072

Note at bottom: Rep. Stearns has introduced similar legislation since 1995. :icon_e_confused: