XM1028

Moving to NJ from PA

Without any hysteria, I would like to know what the regulations are for moving my weapons to NJ. They are legally owned and purchased by me in PA. The unfortunate part is a number of them are deemed "assault weapons" in NJ. Specifically several variations of the FN FAL. I see perusing the regulations there is an Assault Weapon/ Machine Gun permit to buy, but what about previously owned?? Has anybody done this, or successfully applied for the permit? What about all those AR15 copies, and other "assault weapon" looking firearms , I see for sale in various NJ gunshops? What about pistols? I have a Ruger MK2 and a pair of CZ52's currently, but will be looking for a 1911, soon.

The permit was for grandfathering people who owned guns that were about to be made illegal when the law went into effect. The window for registration was short, and long over.

The FN FAL is a no-go here. Of course there are variants that are legal. It is like the AR-15. You cannot own a Colt model AR-15 because it is specifically banned by name. You can own a Colt Match Target or Bushmaster because they are variants. In order to own a variant, you need to play the "evil features" game (i.e. flash hider, pistol grip, adjustable stock, bayonet lug, etc). I will leave others to chime in on that. So my answer is a firm maybe. It depends on what the FAL variants are. If any of them are made by FN, and are FALs, then they are illegal here because they are specifically named. If you have a Century clone, then you are OK as long as it does not have more than one illegal feature. The pistols you mentioned are fine. Just leave any rifle and pistol magazines that take more than 15 rounds in Pennsylvania. There is no getting around that rule, except by permanently altering them so that they hold 15 or less..

You cannot bring any "assalt weapons" or FA to NJ at all - look at the lists on this forum to see what would be considered an AW. There is no way for you to register them now no matter how you bought them and you absolutly will not get a MG license, they just don't give them out.

Any legally purchased non AW guns you can bring over WITHOUT needing to register them or even notify the police. With that in mind buy your 1911 in PA while you still live there, it's a lot easier.

Must have a BRAKE.. not a flash hider.. must be PINNED..

Stocks that are collapsible.. must be PINNED..

No semi-auto shotguns with pistol grip that hold over (I think) 6 rounds.. NO Saiga 12 with pistol grips, etc..

I saw some kid with 2 'FAL' down at Range 14.. I didn't read what brand they were.. but we got to talking about mags and the kid was at a loss for MAGS for NJ.. (aka less than 15 rounds)..

There is a LIST of NAMED weapons on the NJSP website..

Heres the link to the PDF on there website.. read PAGE 2 to PAGE 3..

NJSP Assault Weapons List

there is also DETAILS on the evil features..

bottom of Page 3.. "Any firearm manufactured under any designation which is substantially identical to any of the firearms listed above"

I agree move to the EDGE of PA.. not NJ.. buying in NJ is another can of PAY and WAIT..

You will need an FID (firearms ID card) just to buy ammo over here..

ETA: I live in PA but shoot mostly in NJ.. and I use to live in NJ for 30 years.. FWIW..

IF you have those guns and want to keep them, or if you are not planning on staying in NJ for long, you may want to put them in a safety deposit box and keep in PA, or keep at a friend or relative's home you trust.

If you have some money and there are any used guns you want to buy, I would get them while a PA resident before you move.