TheWombat

Preferred 9mm Home Defense Ammunition in New Jersey

Preferred 9mm New Jersey legal Home Defense Ammunition  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Please select which HD amunition you prefer in 9mm for within New Jersey

• Hornady Critical Defense 9mm 115gr
    • Corbon/Glaser Pow'rBall 9mm 100gr +P
    • Federal Guard Dog 105gr
    • Other (please state which)

The heavier LE offerings, I imagine, will still be difficult to find. Keep checking various on-line sources as your best bet.

Where do forum readers buy Federal EFMJ, I can't seem to find online retailers that have them in stock.

TheWombat

http://www.policehq.com/ProductList.aspx?CategoryName=FEDERAL-AMMO&FilterValues=27b647bf-abd4-482b-8a19-af9a713df028

Edit : Damn I just noticed that only the 40's are in stock and your talking about 9's.

Federal has decided on a new marketing technique and has renamed the EFMJ light offering as Federal Guard Dog ammunition. I believe there are ads for it in the current gun rags. So I expect that the Guard Dog branded ammo will become easier to find as they crank-up production and the new packaging Adios,

Hmm. Well I guess that explains why no one voted for Federal Guard Dog in the poll. Good info Bob

Federal has decided on a new marketing technique and has renamed the EFMJ light offering as Federal Guard Dog ammunition. I believe there are ads for it in the current gun rags. So I expect that the Guard Dog branded ammo will become easier to find as they crank-up production and the new packaging (they may have changed the color of the polymer plug behind the jacket also - think I saw a photo of an expanded guard dog round and the polymer was blue - the old EFMJ stuff was/is red. Maybe blue to differentiate from Hornady CD?).

I saw TV commercial for the Guard Dog ammo. Pretty slick commercial.

NJ is all over the place when it comes to this. I found out here that Retired Jersey cops carry Federal EFMJ. The exact reasons, or even a fully vetted representative sample, is not verified. However, why would they do that? Has to be something.

Yes, there is something. Retired police can't carry hollow points in NJ.

As I stated previously, I'm not a fan of giving up bullet mass in favor of velocity. In the EFMJ ammo I prefer the 124 gr +P.

Also not a big fan of +P+ ammo. You're buying a "pig-in-a-poke". There are no SAAMI specs for +P+ ammo. While makers like H&K say that it can be used in their firearms, if you look at the verbiage used in their owners manuals, it says something like "approved" +P+.

+P+ loads are generally contract loaded for specific agencies and are tailored for the issue weapons of that agency, with the firearms manufacturer's blessing. In the secondary market - which would largely be production overruns, you really don't know what the specs are - and even from a reputable manufacturer like Federal, which may publish the specs on the box, you don't know if they are approved for your firearm.

I have always likened +P+ ammo to a blivet - that is 10 lbs of sh*t in a five lb bag. If you need more firepower/higher velocity, buy a different caliber.

Likewise, with regard to the amateur ballistician on You Tube, I'll remember his tests if I'm ever attacked by some jeans-wearing ballistic geltain. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to get hit with a non-expanding .22 LR bullet, let alone something that expands to over half an inch and can penetrate 8" or 9". Lower velocity, lighter weight means follow-ups are quicker too. Lots of variables when it comes to choosing HD/SD ammo. I originally purchased the EFMJ because I live in NJ (kinda dumb in retrospect), but now pretty much limit new purchases of HD/SD ammo to Speer Gold Dots.

All of the above is JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

For you guys using the Federal EFMJ or Guard Dog ammo, you might want to check out this video...

I'll be sticking with my 115 gr Federal +p+ hi-shoks

Interesting video. My first thought was that in the gel it appeared the expanded bullet turned sideways on "frisbee'd."

I have never really thought that the ripping action on certani hollow points had anything to do with stopping power, just the bleed out. If I cared that much about making the dude die after a while I would just dip it in poison. no need to rip him up. But perhaps the 'petals' have a stabilizing ability, keeping the fat face of it forward as it penetrates.

Very intersesting.