TheWombat

Preferred 9mm Home Defense Ammunition in New Jersey

Preferred 9mm New Jersey legal Home Defense Ammunition  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Please select which HD amunition you prefer in 9mm for within New Jersey

• Hornady Critical Defense 9mm 115gr
    • Corbon/Glaser Pow'rBall 9mm 100gr +P
    • Federal Guard Dog 105gr
    • Other (please state which)

Now that I have my FID approved I'm reading through the various posts as to which 9mm Home Defense ammunition is preferred out of the limited choice we have available in New Jersey. (I know we can legally own and use Hollow Points at a shooting range.)

I'm interested to see what the poll results are.

thanks

TheWombat

Not a fan of sacrificing bullet mass for velocity. 115 gr is as light as I like to go in 9mm. I prefer 124 gr Speer Gold Dot HP's or Federal 124 gr EFMJ's in 9mm for HD/SD

Adios,

Pizza Bob

115gr or 127gr+P Talon's.

Duf. Duf.

post-2200-0-36825600-1316888216_thumb.jpg

P.s. - Many suggest a minimum or 250-750rds of reliable feeding of whatever brand of HP's you're getting in order to carry or use for HD. Personally, I feel that maybe some HP's are better than others, but as long as you get a brand that feed well and shoot accurately out of your pistol, you're ready to go.

I have Hornady CD in 9mm and .380 for HD and I see no reason to change it for myself, but regardless of what you chose, SHOOT it so you know how it shoots first and also knows how it cycles in your gun, the best defense round that doesn't work well in you gun isn't going to do you any good.

Harry

• Like 2

Functioning 100% in the gun is the first criteria. It is hard to find a modern 9mm that won't feed everything IMO. Next criteria is accuracy, some ammo shoots better than others in some guns. Gold Dot or Silvertips in Glocks and just about any 147 gr in Berettas, Taurus, or S&W to my experience. No +P or +P+ as there is not any real advantage in using these AFAIC.

There is no "magic bullet". I don't think you should try to make a 9mm soemthing its not by using hot loads.

• Like 1

I would not use any of the choices you listed. There is no prohibition on the use of hollowpoints for home defense, this is an urban legend propagated by ignorant people. If anyone is aware of a regulation prohibiting the use of hollowpoints for home defense I would love to see it.

The most reliable and trustworthy source of information on defensive ammunition is published by Gary Roberts over on m4carbine.net, also mirrored elsewhere. Read the whole thing, especially the part about how to sufficiently function test your selection.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

I would not use any of the choices you listed. There is no prohibition on the use of hollowpoints for home defense, this is an urban legend propagated by ignorant people. If anyone is aware of a regulation prohibiting the use of hollowpoints for home defense I would love to see it.

The most reliable and trustworthy source of information on defensive ammunition is published by Gary Roberts over on m4carbine.net, also mirrored elsewhere. Read the whole thing, especially the part about how to sufficiently function test your selection.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

So, what do you use?

my second handgun was a 9mm, so i purchased winchester silver point ammo for home defense.. not sure they even still make it..

since my 1st 1911 i no longer use 9mm for home defense i switched to 45 acp.

EDIT: They still do..

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=449826

012-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

So, what do you use?

I happen to use Gold Dot 124 grain +P in 9mm and HST 180 grain in .40. Anything you pick off Roberts' list will work as well as any others as long as you properly function test that specific load in your pistol, and you have a source to buy in quantity.

I happen to use Gold Dot 124 grain +P in 9mm and HST 180 grain in .40. Anything you pick off Roberts' list will work as well as any others as long as you properly function test that specific load in your pistol, and you have a source to buy in quantity.

Gold Dot's are popular, although their 38+P's have some thump! Good choice

I prefer the use of a polymer-tipped hollow point due to the expansion characteristics remaining the same regardless of what medium they hit before entering the target. Some hollow points have been known to get "clogged up" when going through heavy clothing, which hinders expansion in a target. Also, the use of a "NJ-approved not-so-hollow point" is good for satisfying NJ ammo restrictions when carrying out of state.

I was a huge fan of the Speer Gold Dots when i lived in New York because you could point to any police dept. In the state and NYC and they were using them and carrying off duty.

NJ is all over the place when it comes to this. I found out here that Retired Jersey cops carry Federal EFMJ. The exact reasons, or even a fully vetted representative sample, is not verified. However, why would they do that? Has to be something.

So if the law is uncertain and a jury would likely hear that a hollow point is a cop killer, or perhaps beleived all their life that they were illegal, I believe it is a good choice since there are very good rounds available that are not considered hollow points but do the same thing.

I prefer to have a bullet that does what a hollow point does but simply does not have a hollow point. Should I ever be on the stand for protecting myself I want to have played the best cards I could and not be on the hook for New Jersey law's lack of clarity.

Where do forum readers buy Federal EFMJ, I can't seem to find online retailers that have them in stock.

TheWombat

It does tend to be hard to find. What a lot of people don't realize is that there were two bullet weights per caliber when EFMJ was first introduced. A very light (per specified caliber) bullet, that gave-up bullet mass in favor of velocity, that was targeted primarily to the civilian market and packaged 20 rds/box. And, a more conventional weight bullet that was tagged as LE only and packaged 50 rds/box. (I.E. in .45 ACP they had a 165 gr offering for the HD/SD market and a 200 gr offering for LE).

The LE offerings were always hard to find. I picked up most of my cache at gun shows, when the round was first introduced. The civilian offering was easier to find - I know Natchez used to offer it.

Federal has decided on a new marketing technique and has renamed the EFMJ light offering as Federal Guard Dog ammunition. I believe there are ads for it in the current gun rags. So I expect that the Guard Dog branded ammo will become easier to find as they crank-up production and the new packaging (they may have changed the color of the polymer plug behind the jacket also - think I saw a photo of an expanded guard dog round and the polymer was blue - the old EFMJ stuff was/is red. Maybe blue to differentiate from Hornady CD?).

The heavier LE offerings, I imagine, will still be difficult to find. Keep checking various on-line sources as your best bet.

HTH (but probably doesn't)

Adios,

Pizza Bob