YankeeFan

Warranty replacement....different serial number

So I just got an email from the guys at CZ-USA, and they tell me they're just going to replace my 75B SP-01 which I returned because the polycoat finish had started to peel off (it isn't supposed to peel off). When I inquired further, I find out they're going to send me a new piece...with a different serial number. What am I supposed to do in this case....am I supposed to have it shipped to an FFL, and use up another permit (of which I have none...still waiting on Bayonne PD to get off their asses...2 1/2 months and counting) or can I have the permit for the defective gun transferred to the new gun....???

I agree with Matt. I would get the new gun.

Yeah, but then I'd be wasting one of my permits on a gun I already own....which just irritates me to no end, since it takes so *#*^& long to get them. Is there no permit "transfer process" in the back-assward state?

Make sure that you are cleared of ownership of the other returned gun. That is just as important!

As a side note, if you want to put one of your handguns on consignment at a local gunshop, you would need a permit to pick it back up from the shop if they don't sell and one gun a month, etc. applies. Essentially, you are transferring ownership to the shop when it is put on the books. You would need to pay NICS as well for each one on each 30-day seperate pickup.

Which is cheaper? Paying for a permit or refinishing?

Put in for 6 permits at a time that way your dept can have 6 months to process the next batch.

To me the money for a permit is not an issue...it's having to wait 3 to 4 months. Also, If permits expire in 90 days, how does it make sense to get 6 at once...unless you're implying that I'd ask for the extension on the back 3....(which here in Bayonne is not looked upon nicely by the PD....when I got my last round of three the detective told me, "Now make sure you use these within the 90 day period, the chief does not like granting extensions"...WTF???)

Try talking to CZ again and tell them your situation how NJ sux...maybe they think they're doing you a favor buy replacing it. I would think re-coating yours would be a lot cheaper to them than replacing it.

I would check with Paul on this before you make any final decisions, I do know that S&W would pay the FFL fee's for some of the guy who had problems with the early production run of the BG380 when they would get a new frame. That and I thought there was some sort of loophole or exemption that would allow for a replacement for a damaged gun in NJ when it was the factory was the one replacing it, but don't quote me on that.

Harry

Try talking to CZ again and tell them your situation how NJ sux...maybe they think they're doing you a favor buy replacing it. I would think re-coating yours would be a lot cheaper to them than replacing it.

I did...waiting for their response.

I would check with Paul on this before you make any final decisions, I do know that S&W would pay the FFL fee's for some of the guy who had problems with the early production run of the BG380 when they would get a new frame. That and I thought there was some sort of loophole or exemption that would allow for a replacement for a damaged gun in NJ when it was the factory was the one replacing it, but don't quote me on that.

Harry

Paul?

If you already have permits pending, why not just explain the situation to the PD and ask that they revise the number of P2P's requested?

Not sure if it applies here, but I believe there is an exemption within OGAM for a replacement firearm. It may only be if a dealer exchanges a firearm recently purchased, but I'd look into it.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

If the gun is sent to you by the manufacturer, keep you mouth shut and keep all documentation.

If the dealer takes the firearm back from you for the return, you may purchase another within the 30 day period, but a new permit is required.

any transaction where the person has purchased a handgun from a licensed retail dealer and has returned that handgun to the dealer in exchange for another handgun within 30 days of the original transaction, provided the retail dealer reports the exchange transaction to the superintendent;

If the gun is sent to you by the manufacturer, keep you mouth shut and keep all documentation.

If the dealer takes the firearm back from you for the return, you may purchase another within the 30 day period, but a new permit is required.

So no exemption for a replacement due to a warranty issue that the company can't solve without changing the s/n. It's not like it's the owners fault they have to do this, and boy would this suck if it happen more than once or twice.

Harry

I think he is saying that OGAM does not apply, however a permit is still required for additional purchases. However, what PK90 quoted sounds like it doesn't apply to this situation, as that is referring to a purchase and exchange, as opposed to a warranty exchange from the manufacturer. Now should it be different? Probably not, which is why he is saying to keep your mouth shut and keep the documentation!

But I am probably misinterpreting it all so take what I am saying with a grain of salt... :D

To me the money for a permit is not an issue...it's having to wait 3 to 4 months. Also, If permits expire in 90 days, how does it make sense to get 6 at once...unless you're implying that I'd ask for the extension on the back 3....(which here in Bayonne is not looked upon nicely by the PD....when I got my last round of three the detective told me, "Now make sure you use these within the 90 day period, the chief does not like granting extensions"...WTF???)

Read the bold print. Who cares what they THINK or FEEL. They are officers of the law and the law states you can get a 90 extension. It's that simple.

Why is everybody always so sheepish in demanding your rights?? The last town I lived in if you had the paperwork in on Mon you would have your permits by Wed-Thur. I had not purchased a pistol in a few years and applied for permits. Since the last time I had applied the chief had changed this could be a contributing factor. The detective processing my paperwork called me and asked "Why are you buying so many guns in the same caliber?" I told him because why would I buy every gun in a different caliber? Buying the same caliber is easier on ammo. He then asked "I f I still owned them all?" I replied I " I had sold a few". He then asked if he could stop by and physically verify what I still owned. I told him not without a warrant. Det Dick then told me in detail all the steps my paperwork was going to have to take and how meticulously Det Dick would scrutinize my paperwork. I asked "Are you threatening me because I did not allow you into my home"? Det actually stammered and went no. I told him do what you have to I am more than happy to bring anything you want to the PD. But you aren't entering my house.

He sent me a certified letter with 15-20 different questions about permits they had on record and any errors. I called and gave him the info and waited. On the 29th day my letter arrived.

Please stand up for YOUR rights. They try to get away with it because THEY CAN. They worked the fear of the police factor which I countered with my rights. I was neither rude or loud just persistent. They can't do anything to you you are not a criminal. I had contacted the NRA VP in NJ and was ready to fight if it came to it. They aren't so much as taking away our rights, it's us forfeiting our rights when intimidated.

• Like 1